E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AUX low frequency is weak

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by acribb' post='207685
Originally Posted by acribb' post='207599' date='Dec 5 2005, 04:22 PM
Did anyone ever try removing the 300 ohm resistor or replacing it with another? My bass on my aux input is almost non-existent. Where is the resistor located, on the end where the aux 1/8 " input is?? The dealer insists this is "Just how it sounds". So far i'm real dissappointed at what my 200 or so bucks got me.......
Have you tried the suggestions above (use line out instead of headphone kack, rip at higher bit rate--I use EAC w/ LAME @256kbps VBR, normalize with MP3Gain)? Also turn on the iPod equalizer (I use rock).
My MP3s are encoded @ 256K VBR, but I do not adjust the volume to be louder. I am also using the line out of the bottom of the Ipod using a Pocketdock. It does help when using the bass booster equalizer setting on the Ipod, but the rich depth of the bass is still just not there.

My dad's Nissan Titan has a factory aux input which you just plug into the front, and the bass sounds fine on his stereo. You do have to turn up the volume louder to hear it, nonetheless the bass response is the same as listening to a CD on the factory Nissan Rockford Fosgate system. We put a $100 Dual receiver with aux input into my wife's Honda Accord, and the bass sounds fine and equal between CD and the aux. I play my Ipod on my home stereo and it sounds fine. I play my Ipod on my 55K car, with a $225.00 aux input, and it sound like crappola. Crazy, huh?

BTW, I burned an MP3 cd from Itunes with the same playlist I set up on my Ipod, and then tested the CD vs. the Ipod that way. I would play both at the same time, then switch back and forth from CD to Aux. I leave the Ipod with the EQ off. Wow, what a difference in sound. Even when turning the bass all the way up on the stereo and the treble down below half, the bass response is still not even about a 1/4 of the bass with the CD and the bass set at half way.

The Service Manager said he had heard of people complaining of the sound quality. Personally, I don't think I should have to pay for an inferior product. I still plan on testing the aux input on a 3 series to see if I get the same results. This morning when I dropped the car off for service, we discussed the aux input sound problem - I told him to pull it and give me my money back. I could have sworn this morning when I dropped the car off that me and the Service Manager had agreed upon him pulling it and giving my money back. I call back the Service Advisor in the afternoon, and he doesn't know what i'm talking about, so I speak to the Service Manager again, at which time he informs me that he WILL NOT give me my money back and that I misheard him. I'm still trying to come to a compromise with him on what to do about this.
[/quote]

Are u able to verify to your satisfaction that this is the way it is supposed to work in your vehicle by comparing with another E60/E63 also with AUX input capability? That is, take out the possibility that your installation is flawed in some way. If not flawed then I agree with the "it is what it is" philosophy. Mine is fully satisfactory to me, although I may have a niggle here or there about the implemetation.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

I also have very low bass on my aux-input when compared to the CD or FM. My mp3's are encoded at a high bitrate using LAME. I've always wondered why my aux has significantly lower bass response.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Another suspected area of problems is the MP3 players themselves. Most of them (and this is documented) roll off the bass frequencies so as not to damage headphones. The IPod line all do this.

Best way to tell if you truly have a bass problem in the Aux Input is to connect up a player that has a LINE out, not a headphone out. I have both on an older Creative Jukebox and the bass output is significantly better in my 530 when I use the Aux Input. In fact, night and day.

Check this out for a more technical description of what I am trying to say....Link
Old 12-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

Odd thing is that I use the same ipod in my work vehicle using a monster FM transmitter via the line-out and it has more bass response than in my aux input on my E60 :\
Old 12-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Members

same thing happened to me, check out this post because your audio input wires are put in wrong.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=18930&hl=
Old 12-20-2005, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kreate2' post='211975' date='Dec 16 2005, 03:01 AM
same thing happened to me, check out this post because your audio input wires are put in wrong.
I don't think the wires were installed incorrectly. If that was the case, you wouldn't hear ANY sound at all. Busta and I (and i'm sure many others that just don't notice or care), have noticed that the bass response is poor and extremely lacking with the Aux input. It's not our Ipods and it's not the install job - the aux input just plain sucks and that is unfortunately how it is. It's unfortunate that I had to throw 200 bucks or so down the tubes to find this out....
Old 12-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

You may be right, it may just be a bad design.

Make sure that you are using a stereo plug and not a mono plug when connecting your device to the aux input. That will make some difference.

The stereo plug has two rings around it vs. one with the mono plug.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by acribb' post='213603
I don't think the wires were installed incorrectly. If that was the case, you wouldn't hear ANY sound at all. Busta and I (and i'm sure many others that just don't notice or care), have noticed that the bass response is poor and extremely lacking with the Aux input. It's not our Ipods and it's not the install job - the aux input just plain sucks and that is unfortunately how it is. It's unfortunate that I had to throw 200 bucks or so down the tubes to find this out....
[/quote]

Agreed, I've started burning to CD's again :\
Old 12-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hoopsrob' post='213792' date='Dec 20 2005, 05:39 PM
You may be right, it may just be a bad design.

Make sure that you are using a stereo plug and not a mono plug when connecting your device to the aux input. That will make some difference.

The stereo plug has two rings around it vs. one with the mono plug.

I just checked the plug to the ipod/aux and it is a stereo plug. I was hoping that might be it. thx for the info.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:20 AM
Members

I agree totally : bass is lacking !

Any news on the removal of the resistor ?

Did the ripping on higher bitrate help anyone ?

BMW should react - this remark is on about every forum on the E60

Quick Reply: AUX low frequency is weak