E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AUX input WORKING

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up the 5er from the dealer today after having the software updated after the AUX input install.

It seems that the latest version of the software has been installed successfully. I'll try to list a few examples:

- Activation of DTC displays "DTC activated, DSC restricted" in the display - probably a feature added to prevent bewilderment for those who have not RTFMed enough

- New feature added to the navigation system (Business version) - when selecting a new destination, one is given an additional option - "Details" - a window appears and displays information such as address and telephone number to e.g. the hotel or restaurant. This feature was AFAIK not present previously, and really helps if you'd like to extract the phone number to something without actually dialling the number.

- Improved fonts (old change, yes?)

- The AUX choice under Entertainment has changed name to AUX (audio) (compared to simply "AUX" previously) - As if the system was prepared for video/DVD in the future

- When using the Bluetooth telephone the name of the connected telephone is displayed in the area where e.g. radio station is displayed

- Under the phone's contact list names AND numbers are displayed, instead of simply numbers. Very useful if you'd like to add several telephone numbers under one name.

- The intensity setting for the A/C Auto-function has been renamed "Automatic programmes" and is available as a menu under Climate.

- Under Information, Traffic information settings and TMC - "presently no reception" (or whatever) isn't displayed, instead one can activate/deactivate TMC and "TMC AUTO" is displayed in the window below.

- The choice "Telephone list" is added to the list of functions attachable to one of the steering wheel buttons. Finally you could dial someone without having to redial or use the iDrive wheel.

Overall the AUX input seems to work superbly. Although sound coming from CDs is definitely much better.. I'm using the input with my Creative Jukebox Zen. Output from this player definitely has an impact on sound quality.

I'm sorry if this information is redundant due to previous posts. But I've addressed features I haven't seen anything about on the forum.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Good to know one worked. Maybe there is an amplifier or something that can go between the player and aux to improve the sound.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I have my car back after the software version 14 has been reintsalled, after the first try was unsuccesfull - it lewft some minor problems, such as hseat heaters in rear not working and AUX input not working.
Now everything works fine. The AUX in is amazing. I plugged my dvd player in and played the Bleu Man Groups The Complex Live. WOW! Great stuff, amazing sound! The AUX in is fantastic!
Old 12-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

So dealers know how to install this now... No glitch? I'm planning to get it but havent thought much about it reciently was waiting till I know they can do it.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

I am in Germany and my dealer knows how to install it.
Can't speak for your dealer.

I've just learned that my dealership was through the BMW certification and received 98%, the highest rating ever for a dealership in Germany.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by paasan' date='Dec 2 2004, 06:15 PM
I picked up the 5er from the dealer today after having the software updated after the AUX input install.

It seems that the latest version of the software has been installed successfully. I'll try to list a few examples:

- Activation of DTC displays "DTC activated, DSC restricted" in the display - probably a feature added to prevent bewilderment for those who have not RTFMed enough

- New feature added to the navigation system (Business version) - when selecting a new destination, one is given an additional option - "Details" - a window appears and displays information such as address and telephone number to e.g. the hotel or restaurant. This feature was AFAIK not present previously, and really helps if you'd like to extract the phone number to something without actually dialling the number.

- Improved fonts (old change, yes?)

- The AUX choice under Entertainment has changed name to AUX (audio) (compared to simply "AUX" previously) - As if the system was prepared for video/DVD in the future

- When using the Bluetooth telephone the name of the connected telephone is displayed in the? area where e.g. radio station is displayed

- Under the phone's contact list names AND numbers are displayed, instead of simply numbers. Very useful if you'd like to add several telephone numbers under one name.

- The intensity setting for the A/C Auto-function has been renamed "Automatic programmes" and is available as a menu under Climate.

- Under Information, Traffic information settings and TMC - "presently no reception" (or whatever) isn't displayed, instead one can activate/deactivate TMC and "TMC AUTO" is displayed in the window below.

- The choice "Telephone list" is added to the list of functions attachable to one of the steering wheel buttons. Finally you could dial someone without having to redial or use the iDrive wheel.

Overall the AUX input seems to work superbly. Although sound coming from CDs is definitely much better.. I'm using the input with my Creative Jukebox Zen. Output from this player definitely has an impact on sound quality.

I'm sorry if this information is redundant due to previous posts. But I've addressed features I haven't seen anything about on the forum.
[snapback]63443[/snapback]
I had the AUX fitted to my UK 530D - but it doesn't seem to work. I connected my iPod and selected "AUX / Audio" from the entertainment menu but no sound comes out when I click play - maybe I wasn't using the correct connection - need to investigate further.

Software has also been updated - now have the things you mention above. Best of all is the TMC which is really handy. Overall there are a lot more options on the iDrive menu - I need to reconnect my phone now as these setting have been deleted.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by paasan' date='Dec 2 2004, 11:15 AM

Had someone tried Aux (audio) with iPod 4th generation ?
Is it better to add a preamplifier such as
Belkin Auto Kit for iPod Belkin Auto Kit for iPod
or isn't necessary ?
Old 12-04-2004, 05:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by paasan' date='Dec 2 2004, 01:15 PM

Have you compared the Aux Input sound quality using a portable cd player (instead of an mp3 player) vs the dash player? Would be curious to know if the sound quality of the aux input is equal. Any mp3 or other compressed format played is going to be less quality than a cd.

Want to add this to my 530. What did it cost?

TIA
Old 12-04-2004, 05:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black/Black Leather Media Pack,Visibility Pack,Through Load,Logic 7,Electric Seats,Sun Protection Glass,Maple Wood,Lumbar Adj,Heated Seats,Folding Mirrors

I ahd the Aux In fitted to my car that I picked up last weekend. It doesn't wotk and is going back in on Tuesday to sort it out.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mine didn't worked either, but after a re-install of software 14 it works perfectly!

Quick Reply: AUX input WORKING