E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AUX input/software/installation/IDrive settings

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

I'm having the AUX input installed as we speak. My advisor indicated that the latest software would need to be installed to enable AUX. I indicated to him it was my understanding that the latest software did NOT need to be installed, but the existing software simply needed to be retro fitted/re-programmed (?) to recognize AUX. Not only that but they want to charge me 3 hrs. labor ($375!). I balked, but said to proceed, pending review of main question.My 545 was built in June, so I'm not sure if the newest software will give me any tangible improvements(RDS?), and candidly, I dont want to fix what isnt broken!!

He was to get back to me to clarify this, and to find out whether or not I lose all my I Drive settings (bluetooth, radio settings, equalizer,speed limit,chime on the hour, et.al.) .?

No word yet, but after reading a few posts here just now, I'm getting worried. :'(
Old 11-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by 545i now' date='Nov 1 2005, 09:09 PM
I'm having the AUX input installed as we speak. My advisor indicated that the latest software would need to be installed to enable AUX. I indicated to him it was my understanding that the latest software did NOT need to be installed, but the existing software simply needed to be retro fitted/re-programmed (?) to recognize AUX. Not only that but they want to charge me 3 hrs. labor ($375!). I balked, but said to proceed, pending review of main question.My 545 was built in June, so I'm not sure if the newest software will give me any tangible improvements(RDS?), and candidly, I dont want to fix what isnt broken!!

He was to get back to me to clarify this, and to find out whether or not I lose all my I Drive settings (bluetooth, radio settings, equalizer,speed limit,chime on the hour, et.al.) .?

No word yet, but after reading a few posts here just now, I'm getting worried. :'(
[snapback]192257[/snapback]
They don't need to update the CIP (although my dealer did)--they just need to program iDrive to recognize the aux input. I paid $200 installed ($60 part and 1 hour labor)--see install instructions attached.
5_series_aux_input.pdf

If they upgrade your CIP, you do lose some settings, but I found the best way to get most of them back (like your seat memory settings) is to start the car with the key that you didn't give to the dealer (since it's memory has been affected) and then lock & unlock the car with the same key, then start the car with the key that went to the dealer and many of the settings will be transferred from the key.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Originally Posted by stream' date='Nov 1 2005, 10:27 PM
[quote name='545i now' date='Nov 1 2005, 09:09 PM']I'm having the AUX input installed as we speak. My advisor indicated that the latest software would need to be installed to enable AUX. I indicated to him it was my understanding that the latest software did NOT need to be installed, but the existing software simply needed to be retro fitted/re-programmed (?) to recognize AUX. Not only that but they want to charge me 3 hrs. labor ($375!). I balked, but said to proceed, pending review of main question.My 545 was built in June, so I'm not sure if the newest software will give me any tangible improvements(RDS?), and candidly, I dont want to fix what isnt broken!!

They don't need to update the CIP (although my dealer did)--they just need to program iDrive to recognize the aux input. I paid $200 installed ($60 part and 1 hour labor)--see install instructions attached.
Attachment 12069

If they upgrade your CIP, you do lose some settings, but I found the best way to get most of them back (like your seat memory settings) is to start the car with the key that you didn't give to the dealer (since it's memory has been affected) and then lock & unlock the car with the same key, then start the car with the key that went to the dealer and many of the settings will be transferred from the key.
[snapback]192280[/snapback]
[/quote]

Stream, you rock! Your timely input helped provide substance behind my statements.

Got my car back this PM: Only charged for retrofit/parts=$250 . They did perform software upgrade to latest 19.1 and all systems seem fine. Had to reset a couple things, but no big deal. Tried the alternate key trick, but I have never used it , so no settings had been loaded. My advisor helped me get bluetooth re-paired. Best part of upgrade so far is I now have RDS!

AUX input works fine, but there does seem to be some feedback/whine noticeable when AUX system sourced,IPOD off or paused and RPM's are at driving level. Wonder if I reconnect the Monster icharger and IPOD in a particular order this will go away?

One more thing: Steering wheel button will toggle FROM Aux , but will not recognize it as it cycles back through. I remember reading yours does the same, but others have found that their S. wheel always acknowledges AUX. What gives?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:19 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by 545i now' date='Nov 2 2005, 06:49 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Nov 1 2005, 10:27 PM'][quote name='545i now' date='Nov 1 2005, 09:09 PM']I'm having the AUX input installed as we speak. My advisor indicated that the latest software would need to be installed to enable AUX. I indicated to him it was my understanding that the latest software did NOT need to be installed, but the existing software simply needed to be retro fitted/re-programmed (?) to recognize AUX. Not only that but they want to charge me 3 hrs. labor ($375!). I balked, but said to proceed, pending review of main question.My 545 was built in June, so I'm not sure if the newest software will give me any tangible improvements(RDS?), and candidly, I dont want to fix what isnt broken!!

Attachment 12069

[snapback]192280[/snapback]
[/quote]

Stream, you rock! Your timely input helped provide substance behind my statements.

Got my car back this PM: Only charged for retrofit/parts=$250 . They did perform software upgrade to latest 19.1 and all systems seem fine. Had to reset a couple things, but no big deal. Tried the alternate key trick, but I have never used it , so no settings had been loaded. My advisor helped me get bluetooth re-paired. Best part of upgrade so far is I now have RDS!

AUX input works fine, but there does seem to be some feedback/whine noticeable when AUX system sourced,IPOD off or paused and RPM's are at driving level. Wonder if I reconnect the Monster icharger and IPOD in a particular order this will go away?

One more thing: Steering wheel button will toggle FROM Aux , but will not recognize it as it cycles back through. I remember reading yours does the same, but others have found that their S. wheel always acknowledges AUX. What gives?
[snapback]192753[/snapback]
[/quote]

Glad to hear it went well.

On the whining noise, I only hear a faint noise if I have the volume turned up very high (much higher than I would ever listen to) and the iPod is paused, so it's a non-issue to me (I would have never even been aware of it, had it not been for a post from somebody asking about it). Do you have a relatively new iPod? Mine is the iPod with color screen (got it in July--it's the version just prior to the recently released iPod with video), and apparently the older generation iPods were more likely to have the noise issue.

My toggle button will toggle from aux, but then doesn't go back to aux as you toggle through the audio inputs. Didn't work when aux input first installed (and the upgraded CIP to 17.01), and still doesn't work after recently upgrading CIP to 18.0. Not a big deal to me since I never use that button.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I do not recollect that the steering wheel selection does work by anybody, but I may have missed that. At v16.2 mine works just like yours and streams..

Non ipod user here, but if I turn voulum up as high as it can go I get a little hum without anything plugged in and then it gets a little quieter when I plug in my MP3 player or cassette tape player. But never any engine related (RPM related) noise.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Members

I have a 3G Ipod that the local dealer installed following Stream's diagrams. (Stream deserves Most Valued Community Member award or something, he truly rocks!)

The 3G ipod (with menu buttons) picks up the hard drive sound (whiny high pitched noise), every time it loads a song or has to refresh from the hard drive during the song. You end up with an annoying high pitched sound that is similar to an alternator whine, and it happens almost all of the time.

Given that Stream doesn't have this problem with a 4G ipod, I think Apple probably noticed the issue and resolved it.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
2006 530i, Titanium Silver/Light Gray Interior, sport, premium, nav, premium sound (Stream's Ipod Kit), fold down rear seat, heated seats. I'm in love.