E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aux input install botched? Ipod sounds weak, no bass

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, but the cable is fine, it is a stereo 1/8 to 1/8. Two rings on both ends. I just don't see how they could have messed up the job, since I can hear sound. It sounds good, but I have to put the bass booster on the EQ to get any kind of bass out of it. I'm using a pocketdock, which sounds great when connected to my other car, or my home stereo.

I have pretty much read every thread here concerning the aux input, and as far as I can tell, when the aux input was installed wrong, it just plain didn't work.

I have found posts that state the same thing I am stating, about having to crank up the volume more so than when listening to CD or FM, and about the lack of bass. In those posts, there was no solution to the problem, it seems this is just the way this aux input is. I did read that someone was thinking about taking the 300 ohm resistor off the aux input. Would this increase the volume? Would I risk overloading the MASK?
Old 11-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by acribb' post='197403' date='Nov 13 2005, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the replies, but the cable is fine, it is a stereo 1/8 to 1/8. Two rings on both ends. I just don't see how they could have messed up the job, since I can hear sound. It sounds good, but I have to put the bass booster on the EQ to get any kind of bass out of it. I'm using a pocketdock, which sounds great when connected to my other car, or my home stereo.

I have pretty much read every thread here concerning the aux input, and as far as I can tell, when the aux input was installed wrong, it just plain didn't work.

I have found posts that state the same thing I am stating, about having to crank up the volume more so than when listening to CD or FM, and about the lack of bass. In those posts, there was no solution to the problem, it seems this is just the way this aux input is. I did read that someone was thinking about taking the 300 ohm resistor off the aux input. Would this increase the volume? Would I risk overloading the MASK?

I've had an aux input installed 2 weeks ago, result : no 'aux' sound and no bass on any other source neither. Could it be that they have disconnected or erronated an existing connection while installing the aux. I'm returning to the dealer next wednesday to check the problem out.

(info : i've got the USA standard sound system hifi -10sp)
Old 12-28-2005, 01:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525i - Silver Gray Metallic - Black Leather - Poplar Trim - Steptronic - Sport Package - Premium Package - Xenon Adaptive Headlights - Satellite Radio Prep - Rear Bumper Reflectors

Originally Posted by my530i' post='197033' date='Nov 11 2005, 07:59 PM
Wrong connect. Dealer needs to reconnect it. You'd have no bass all across AM, FM, CD, and AUX. Turn on any hip hop radio station to listen if you have any bass. If you don't, bring it to dealer and have them listen to that station.
Hmm... had aux input installed recently and the same thing happened to me (no bass from subwoofers across AM, FM, CD, WB, AUX) and my technician decided that it was the amplifier (after performing a test for current and found none). He ordered a new amp and I am scheduled for am amp install in a week. Shall I insist that he look at the connections first?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60, 520I, 2100 CC, Silver and Light Grey leather Interior, No Factory option, Standard I drive and audio system, 16' Alloy Wheels, Aux Input installed Jan 06. More Audio/Video Mods coming soon

Hi, My name is David. I leave in Indonesia and I have a 2004 E60, 520i with standard audio system and no Sat Nav.
I have just installed the Aux Audio input cable at my dealer that cost me $125 including installation cost and reprogram the computer to be version 19.1.
The problem is there is no sound when I plug in my MP3 player or any other audio source (Notebook computer, Poeratble TV and Radio). The Idrive display seems to wrok fine and there is the AUX Audio icon displayed in the monitor.
I can also assure you that I bought the correct stereo Mini headphone plug cables for my MP3 player.

Any idea why? Or should I have to go back to the dealer? Do you have any experience on this problem?

I really need you rhelp on this.

Thanks and brgds,
David.

Originally Posted by stream' post='197204' date='Nov 12 2005, 11:05 PM
The volume level when I switch from CD to aux w/ iPod is very slightly decreased, and the bass is unaffected so it sounds like there's an issue somewhere.

Several folks had a problem with the aux install, where the dealer didn't change the pin locations on the connector (see bottom of page 6 of attached aux install instructions).
Attachment 12441

Or could just be a defective aux input.

Since your iPod works well in your other car, it's probably not the following items, but I throw them out anyway:

Could also be your cable is mono instead of stereo--see pic below how tip has 3 metal sections separated by 2 plastic rings:

Another possibility is your iPod equalizer settings--is the equalizer enabled?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

What is your volume setting at on your ipod. I read somewhere that you must set the volume to maximum on the ipod for the AUX in to work properly.

Also, have you set the internal setting on the ipod to equalizer on? If it is off, the sound is very flat. Set equalizer to on and select a sound setting from the various options in the menu.

Let us know if this works.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:27 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by David Rusli' post='216308
The volume level when I switch from CD to aux w/ iPod is very slightly decreased, and the bass is unaffected so it sounds like there's an issue somewhere.

Several folks had a problem with the aux install, where the dealer didn't change the pin locations on the connector (see bottom of page 6 of attached aux install instructions).
Attachment 12441

Or could just be a defective aux input.

Since your iPod works well in your other car, it's probably not the following items, but I throw them out anyway:

Could also be your cable is mono instead of stereo--see pic below how tip has 3 metal sections separated by 2 plastic rings:

Another possibility is your iPod equalizer settings--is the equalizer enabled?
[/quote]

Since you don't get sound when connecting several audio input devices, it likely that they didn't pay attention to page 6 of the instructions regarding changing the pin location on the connector, as described in my post above. This issue has been experienced by many people.

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='216340' date='Dec 28 2005, 08:50 AM
What is your volume setting at on your ipod. I read somewhere that you must set the volume to maximum on the ipod for the AUX in to work properly.

Also, have you set the internal setting on the ipod to equalizer on? If it is off, the sound is very flat. Set equalizer to on and select a sound setting from the various options in the menu.

Let us know if this works.
If you're using the headphone jack, then you definitely need to turn the volume all the way up, and even then the sound volume & quality is terrible. Use a connector that allows line out (like the Monster iCarCharger).

Agree on the iPod equalizer--I have mine set to rock, and there's a noticeable difference vs. eq turned off.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i PDC / ADAPTIVE XENON HEDLIGHTS /FOLD DOWN REAR SEATS / NAV / PREMIUM / COLD WEATHER / EURO REFLECTORS /STAGGERED CHROMED 124S / PIAA 4700K FOGS / BLUETOOTH RETROFIT / REAR WOODED LIGHTER PANEL/MP3 RETROFIT

I had the same problem. I returned to the dealer and they had to replace the CCC unit. I think they forgot to change the pin connection on the back of the plug. Finally got the car back and everything works great. If you decide to have the Aux. plug installed at the dealer, bring a copy of the installation pdf.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Contributors

I had the same problem. I returned to the dealer and they had to replace the CCC unit. I think they forgot to change the pin connection on the back of the plug. Finally got the car back and everything works great. If you decide to have the Aux. plug installed at the dealer, bring a copy of the installation pdf.