E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AutoDAB DAB add on unit.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

Whats the overall impression on this unit, also, does your TMC still work?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d Remapped 292BHP

overall good, yes it stops the tmc from working until you turn it off.
i have a new aerial to try out tomorrow as im still having a few probs with receiption in my area, if i drive out of town there is no problem. will update when fitted.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:28 AM
Members

I emailed celsus regarding antennae for my 57 reg 520d and got this reply

'Good Morning
Thank you for your interest in Media Dab
I would recommend on this car to wait to the end of May as we have a new product coming out that will use the existing aerial on the vehicle, rather than attaching a glass mount or replacing the roof mount aerial.
I will have to wait to give you a quote on the fitting until Monday as I need to speak to our Technical Department on how long it will take to fit the new adaptor.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d Remapped 292BHP

Interesting, keep us updated please.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

Originally Posted by turbo_lew
overall good, yes it stops the tmc from working until you turn it off.
i have a new aerial to try out tomorrow as im still having a few probs with receiption in my area, if i drive out of town there is no problem. will update when fitted.
Thanks for the info- I now see connect2 have released a TMC add on module, so that would hopefully solve the loss of TMC which I find very useful. Time to ssave pennies methinks....
Old 05-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

I might be being daft here , but what is the benefit of DAB.... I thought it was track names text and sound quality.

From watching the vids, you dont get track text, so is the sound quality worth £200?

sorry if i'm missing something
Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 1Animal1
I might be being daft here , but what is the benefit of DAB.... I thought it was track names text and sound quality.

From watching the vids, you dont get track text, so is the sound quality worth £200?

sorry if i'm missing something
According to the HIFi purists, the present DAB is lower quality than FM due to the old technology in use- to me it sounds fine, so technically no gain for your money there. The new DAB+ is meant to solve this when it "rolls out", not certain when this will happen. The big gain as far as I'm concerned is the larger choice of stations and their wider availability without retuning constantly- ie I can travel from Cornwall to Carlisle to Boston to Dover listening to Absolute Radio with no tuning. Also, there are rumours that terrestrial transmissions will cease in 2015, dont know how true this is, as theyve screwed all the old tellies, it will probably happen.

The important thing is:

IF YOU DO GET DAB UNIT, ENSURE IT WILL DECODE DAB+, AS THIS WILL PROB BE THE NEW STANDARD (is in some countries already)
Old 05-15-2012, 03:13 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

Ahh yes, thanks Kris.... multiple stations and full coverage is a scchool boy error miss on my part

I think given the functionality, it does look a tad more complex than it needs to be so far.... I'd be inclined to fit a small screen (Parrot style TFT) to the right of my steering column showing full track detail etc.

The functions whilst OEM remind me of the original Densions on the Audi - you kept OEM functionality but it was limited enough to make you consider other opportunities
Old 05-15-2012, 03:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 1Animal1
Ahh yes, thanks Kris.... multiple stations and full coverage is a scchool boy error miss on my part

I think given the functionality, it does look a tad more complex than it needs to be so far.... I'd be inclined to fit a small screen (Parrot style TFT) to the right of my steering column showing full track detail etc.

The functions whilst OEM remind me of the original Densions on the Audi - you kept OEM functionality but it was limited enough to make you consider other opportunities
As far as I can understand, you do get track info on the autodab and its displayed on the moniter screen,CAN SOMEONE WITH THE UNIT CONFIRM? The small scrolling displays are is not all theyre cracked up to be- at present I've got a acoustics dab unit with a small scrolling display, its hard to see easily when driving and you get lots of crap go past from the station until you eventually get the track info you want. Whilst this is happening, you're squinting at the display, not the road.....
Old 05-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Krisbiker2
As far as I can understand, you do get track info on the autodab and its displayed on the moniter screen,CAN SOMEONE WITH THE UNIT CONFIRM? The small scrolling displays are is not all theyre cracked up to be- at present I've got a acoustics dab unit with a small scrolling display, its hard to see easily when driving and you get lots of crap go past from the station until you eventually get the track info you want. Whilst this is happening, you're squinting at the display, not the road.....
Okay,just watched video

Quick Reply: AutoDAB DAB add on unit.