E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Audio upgrade DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by kjay80
One question, my car is 2005 530i w/ 6 disc premium sound package (built in nov. 04), heard it could get mp3 retrofitted.
the thing is, my dealers while still under warranty updated the idrive system back in 2006 cuz cds were constantly playing even at pause and engines turned off.
I noticed right after the update my radio menu appeared with the station name and the texts what music is on. (I dont have Sirius/HD radio)
Does this mean it will play mp3 cds?
I know I can check with the mp3 cds, but I dont have one and i am already excited about this!!!!

If you have Nav then your Nov 04 built car can play MP3s, however if you do not have Nav, then I believe it was Mar/April built 05 models and later that have that ability. However, they had to have turned on the MP3 functionality when they updraded your software, as it is a seperate step in the programming. Honestly the best way to check it would be to burn or borrow an MP3 CD from someone.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by strap
ok, so with the amp installed in the rear left deck, ill have to run relevent wiring to connect to the outputs on the head unit as my system has no amp at all !!!!????

Sorry to be lazy as welll but without taking out the drivers first i dont know what size and depth i require.
( I did look for the sizes but just carnt find any info ). i think the front doors are 4inch and a depth of 75mm?
The guy at my local ice keeps trying to sell me focal are these as good as the infinity kappas as mentioned??

If you are going to start with adding an amp to your car, honestly your safest bet, if youre planning on doing the install yourself would be just get a Blapunkt PNP amp. Simple and clean, because you are correct, you would then have to run many wires to and from the back for your car if you planned on placing the amp in the back.

Also just an FYI, you do have a small amp in the rear driver side wheel well, but its strictly for your subs, unless of course you have the L7. All US built cars, at the very least have the small amp in the trunk.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Members

I do have a navigation on my car, so most likely MP3 cds will work regardless of the update?
Do I burn on CD or DVD?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

If you are going to start with adding an amp to your car, honestly your safest bet, if youre planning on doing the install yourself would be just get a Blapunkt PNP amp. Simple and clean, because you are correct, you would then have to run many wires to and from the back for your car if you planned on placing the amp in the back.

I agree with Methodsound, if you just replace all the door/deck/tweeters speakers with higher wattage, higher impedance speakers, you may get a cleaner sound then what you have know, but your volume level will suffer. So starting with just an amp, or adding an amp and replacing your stock speakers is the way to go.

Also just an FYI, you do have a small amp in the rear driver side wheel well, but its strictly for your subs, unless of course you have the L7. All US built cars, at the very least have the small amp in the trunk.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kjay80
I do have a navigation on my car, so most likely MP3 cds will work regardless of the update?
Do I burn on CD or DVD?
Thats not true, the MP3 functionality was not automatic from the get go, I dont believe that came out until like 2006 sometime, what that means however is since you have Nav, then your car has the ability to have the MP3 enabled with the update. However like I said, they had to have turned "ON" that option when they updated your software. Since they were having problems with your audio module, instead of say your transmission or something, they may have very well done that.

If it doesnt work, then all that means if you'd have to have them turn it "on" but it can me done.

You'll have to burn the MP3's onto a CD as your CD player will not read DVDs.

GL
Old 06-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Members

My Ride: bmw 550i m sport

Thanks for all the ino and help guys, i feel i havr a good understanding of what to do now and at the very least if i decide to chicken out and decide to pay someone and have it
done thay wont be able to bullshit me and charge me a arm and a leg!!!