E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Audio upgrade DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: bmw 550i m sport

Hi people, i am trying to diy upgrade my audio system in my 550, i have the basic system.
My idea is to use the exsiting wiring as people say this is pretty good, (not sure if its possible), i think my system has no amp.
Iv'e brought a 5.1 channel amp 4 X 75w rms and 400w rms sub output. this is nice and small as well.
so this may be a relly dumb question can i just divert the cable from the head unit then through the new amp.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Mystic Blue M3 Coupe 1999 Estoril Blue M3 Coupe 2008 Sapphire Black 535xi

Call the guys at Bavarian Soundwerks, as they probably know your car the best. Either way, even an experienced audio installer should not touch the stereo on an E60, or anything else electrical in my opinion. Waaaay too scary. The fact that many DIYers have issues with the V1 install should throw a red flag at anything more complicated.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Members

Oh, really i am a electrical technician (not auto) so really wanted to have a go, but if you really think its doggey, then mabe i should give it to the pros.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Members

With your experience, I'm sure you can do it. I'm no electrician and I did.

Start with this thread outlining my own experience. There are a couple of other recent threads in the "mods" section including one that shows a PNP harness somebody is selling and there is one which shows another type of pro install (both should be on page 1 or 2 of the forum as they are fairly new).

Searching on this forum is not as easy as it should be, so when searching try to put the terms in quotations (i.e. "search terms") it helps a little.

Good luck!

Edit: Found one of the threads here the other thread (with the PNP adapter) was for a Logic7 equipped car, so it wouldn't apply.

Go get 'em!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Members

Ha, love the thread, great info as well, i think that ill keep it basic at first and just change subs and rears, ill leave the fronts for now, i dont want to deploy any air bags!!!
only problem is when to do it as useing the car 4 work.
think i need to buy some real tools first.
thanks.

Originally Posted by Victory
With your experience, I'm sure you can do it. I'm no electrician and I did.

Start with this thread outlining my own experience. There are a couple of other recent threads in the "mods" section including one that shows a PNP harness somebody is selling and there is one which shows another type of pro install (both should be on page 1 or 2 of the forum as they are fairly new).

Searching on this forum is not as easy as it should be, so when searching try to put the terms in quotations (i.e. "search terms") it helps a little.

Good luck!

Edit: Found one of the threads here the other thread (with the PNP adapter) was for a Logic7 equipped car, so it wouldn't apply.

Go get 'em!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by strap
Ha, love the thread, great info as well, i think that ill keep it basic at first and just change subs and rears, ill leave the fronts for now, i dont want to deploy any air bags!!!
only problem is when to do it as useing the car 4 work.
think i need to buy some real tools first.
thanks.

Starting with the rear speakers is the "safe" thing to do. My suggestion is to stick to your initial plan to add the amplifier, that is what I believe is needed to actually improve the sound. The standard system just does not have enough power to make your upgraded speakers sound any better than the stock speakers sound right now.

( BTW keep this in mind if you are going to change the subs: unplugging the front seats will turn on the airbag light just like unplugging the front doors would, if you unplugged them while the battery was still connected. )
Old 06-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by methodsound
Starting with the rear speakers is the "safe" thing to do. My suggestion is to stick to your initial plan to add the amplifier, that is what I believe is needed to actually improve the sound. The standard system just does not have enough power to make your upgraded speakers sound any better than the stock speakers sound right now.

( BTW keep this in mind if you are going to change the subs: unplugging the front seats will turn on the airbag light just like unplugging the front doors would, if you unplugged them while the battery was still connected. )

ok, so with the amp installed in the rear left deck, ill have to run relevent wiring to connect to the outputs on the head unit as my system has no amp at all !!!!????

Sorry to be lazy as welll but without taking out the drivers first i dont know what size and depth i require.
( I did look for the sizes but just carnt find any info ). i think the front doors are 4inch and a depth of 75mm?
The guy at my local ice keeps trying to sell me focal are these as good as the infinity kappas as mentioned??
Old 06-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by strap
ok, so with the amp installed in the rear left deck, ill have to run relevent wiring to connect to the outputs on the head unit as my system has no amp at all only in the head unit!!!!????
i have been told i need a processor such as the audison bit one( or alterative suggested) which will take a stereo full range input from the sat nav system, flatten the response, and output a fully programmable line level signal which you can then amplify as normal... it also has a 32 band graphic built in and various time alignment settings etc. If i don't use a processor like this, the sound will never be that great as the bmw's have an eq curve built into the head unit, and an amplifier with built in crossovers.

Sorry to be lazy as welll but without taking out the drivers first i dont know what size and depth i require.

( I did look for the sizes but just carnt find any info ). i think the front doors are 4inch and a depth of 75mm?

The guy at my local ice keeps trying to sell me focal are these as good as the infinity kappas as mentioned??
Old 06-24-2010, 06:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

If you could only do one thing to the stereo, I think the amplifier/s ( 5+ channels total ) would be the place to start. Then speakers, and after that (if needed) a DSP sound processor such as the Audisson Bit one or the JBL MS8. A subwoofer in the trunk is optional depending on personal taste. I suggest finding the most qualified installer in your area and discussing those options with him/her and also get price ranges for each step and a price to do all of it at once.

For speaker selection, it is much easier to decide what brand to buy when you have the stock speakers in your hands. Then you can compare sizes and mounting to the speakers you are thinking about using. This might help: hi-fi speakers pics ( rear tweeters have a mounting plate not shown )

Audio upgrade DIY-hi-fi-front-speakers.jpg
Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Members

One question, my car is 2005 530i w/ 6 disc premium sound package (built in nov. 04), heard it could get mp3 retrofitted.
the thing is, my dealers while still under warranty updated the idrive system back in 2006 cuz cds were constantly playing even at pause and engines turned off.
I noticed right after the update my radio menu appeared with the station name and the texts what music is on. (I dont have Sirius/HD radio)
Does this mean it will play mp3 cds?
I know I can check with the mp3 cds, but I dont have one and i am already excited about this!!!!

Quick Reply: Audio upgrade DIY