E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Audio shop saying I need audio processor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 535 XI 2008 w/o Logic 7. Just the standard system. I know this topic has been touched upon, but an Audio Processor is like 6-1000$! There saying they need to pull apart the radio to find out because all BMW's are different even in the same year. I am sure people have ran into this problem, I know it helps either way to enable better sound, but I'd rather just hook up an amp to the interior and an amp for a sub.

I know theres fiber optics you have to tap into so he was saying the audio processor might be a NECESSITY or it might not! The only thing is, it wil be an hour labor at 100$ an hour and I'd rather not piss money away!

I tried doing a search through the forums I must be retarded because I typed everything concerning interior audio systems and I cant come up with much about this question.

I saw people have done custom audio in the UK but I didn't see anything about an audio processor.

Looks like a nice system and sub will cost 2-3000$ BTW.

Below is a stealhbox I found for 700$ custom fit in the 5 plus a 12 inch W6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200597119037&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2217wt_1141
and below is the audio processor they recommended.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130518973818&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2748wt_1141
Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

if you dont have L7 then there is no fiber to touch. Then depending on what you want to do you can get away with needing an audio processor. An audio processor will be required if you want to start from scratch i.e. full range signal. If however you just want to amplifier stuff then you dont need it.

Looks like you just want some more bass. In which case you just need that sub box and you can tap into the connections going into the rear amp in your car already. Look at my DIY.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

Okay, I would like more bass, BUT

The quality of the interiors is TERRIBLE on the stock system. If I swapped out all those speakers with better quality ones, could I run an amp just for the interiors and another amp for sub?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

yes. i just took my system out because i wasnt fully happy with it for the money i paid and it weight a ton. either way they tapped the oem wires coming from the back of the head unit and ran them thru a jl cleansweep out to an external 5 channel amp. powering the 4/ 4's and 2/ underseat subs. also had 2 mono amps each powring a 10. they got y'd off the 5 channel amp rear speakers. also needed the jl summing device. i orginally had the mtx req 5 and it worked fine. i honeslty couldnt tell ne diffrence when they shop recommeneded me to the jl clean sweep. the car knocked. the 4's have no misbass at all so u have screachy highs and low bass. empty in the middle. so i tired lowering the hertz on the 4's and it sounded better but they would distort easier because they couldnt handle bass at high volume. right now im just running the 5 channel amp and the interiors( mtx's/ earthquakes) and it sounds ehhh. biggest waste of money i ever spent on that system i wish i just spent it on air ride.. plus now getting the stock wiring back into play is going to be a night mare, which ill prolly never do when i sell car down the road
Old 05-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Senior Members

jesus... so whats the verdict here?? STAY AWAY LOL??
Old 05-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by mazekid15
I have a 535 XI 2008 w/o Logic 7. Just the standard system. I know this topic has been touched upon, but an Audio Processor is like 6-1000$! There saying they need to pull apart the radio to find out because all BMW's are different even in the same year. I am sure people have ran into this problem, I know it helps either way to enable better sound, but I'd rather just hook up an amp to the interior and an amp for a sub.

I know theres fiber optics you have to tap into so he was saying the audio processor might be a NECESSITY or it might not! The only thing is, it wil be an hour labor at 100$ an hour and I'd rather not piss money away!

I tried doing a search through the forums I must be retarded because I typed everything concerning interior audio systems and I cant come up with much about this question.

I saw people have done custom audio in the UK but I didn't see anything about an audio processor.

Looks like a nice system and sub will cost 2-3000$ BTW.

Below is a stealhbox I found for 700$ custom fit in the 5 plus a 12 inch W6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2217wt_1141

and below is the audio processor they recommended.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2748wt_1141
I would suggest a JL Audio Cleansweep and its summing add-on so together they can provide a full range (summing), flat, high voltage and low level (Cleansweep) signal to your aftermarket amps to start with. This should be more than enough to fix the OEM HiFi signal significantly.

No need of a full DSP processor unless you want to further customize your sound.