E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Assist/BT TCU

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Does anyone with a pre-03/04 build car who's gotten bluetooth working by getting a new TCU and then the software update know the full part number of the assist/bt combo TCU?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW

I'm replying to myself here and moved to my original post to the main discussion but I'm trying to figure this BT thing out for the benefit of us with cars built prior to 03/04.

So the fact is, people have gotten their dealer to replace their TCU and then bluetooth has worked in their car, regardless of nav or not? If you have had this done I would love to hear from you -- please speak up.

I took apart the left side of my trunk this afternoon and the part number of the TCU in my car is 84 11 6 942 592 dated 11/24/2003.

NOTE: This applies only for U.S. cars!

I have attached some pictues below, and my question goes to anyone with a car built AFTER 03/04 up to 08/04, perhaps even the 2005 MY's could help. In my first two pictures below, the TCU has 4 connectors on top but only 3 connections are plugged in. The blue connection has no plug. I was wondering, on > 03/04 build cars, are all 4 connections used or is it the same layout? This could be the reason why people cant hear the other person in some models. There's only 2 plastic screws and the left piece of the trunk comes out and you can easily see it, if anyone is willling to check it out for me. If not, I may have to "test drive" a dealers car and check it out myself, heh heh.

Assuming there's 3 connections i'm finding out that a new TCU is NOT $2000 or anything crazy like that. It's accutually about $1500 which can be gotten for even cheaper (about $1250) through the right connections. Still expensive though ...

So i'm thinking here to replace this sucker on my own and have my dealer program in bluetooth and see what happens but I would like the above confirmed and I also have to confirm some other things. I wonder now also, can replacing such electronics on your own cause warranty issues?

And finally, for those interested, the last 2 pictures in my message here are the front and back of the TCU itself. It's a damn metal box, the contents of which have caused many issues for some of us!

Well, look forward to hearing from anyone!

Thanks!

Assist/BT TCU-pic1.jpg

Assist/BT TCU-pic2.jpg

Assist/BT TCU-tcu1.jpg

Assist/BT TCU-tcu2.jpg
Old 02-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

From post: #12 of http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=1177&hl=

" If you have a US E60 with BMW assist, check the BMW card that comes with your car that has a BMW/Motorola sticker. That card will list the BMW part number of your TCU. If the part number is 84 11 6 948 921 you have the most recent TCU. "
The sticker on the BT card in the owners manual looks like it comes directly from the hardware. Think the correct part number is above. My car is 3/11/04 production and my BT card matched the number above. I don't have BT yet. but should next week.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are the two success stories I've heard of, where only the TCU was replaced:

This one with Navigation (johnmac), refers to TCU replacement part no. 84-11-6-955-688. Notice the part number differs from the one from the previous poster:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...indpost&p=73159

This one without Nav (ademitt), no TCU replacement part no. specified:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...indpost&p=84793

Then I hear you need new wiring in addition to the TCU. I don't know what to think. Also, both of these guys cars were built in either early March or in February '03. Maybe there were some wiring changes around that time that allowed for either TCU.....
Old 02-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

That 948 part number is the old TCU.

I have a 9/2003 build where my TCU was replaced about a month ago (old TCU 84 11 6 948 921) replaced with 84 11 6 956 688. Software has been updated to V13 and I do not have NAV. My phone (T637 on Cingular) doesn't get paired at the dealer until next Thursday 2/10/05 - long story, new carrier, can/can't port the number, new SIM chips, blah blah blah...

My service guy has been pretty good with details so far so if I can help with info pre/post next Thursday let me know.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by Sans' date='Feb 2 2005, 04:39 PM
That 948 part number is the old TCU.

I have a 9/2003 build where my TCU was replaced about a month ago (old TCU 84 11 6 948 921) replaced with 84 11 6 956 688.? Software has been updated to V13 and I do not have NAV.? My phone (T637 on Cingular) doesn't get paired at the dealer until next Thursday 2/10/05 - long story, new carrier, can/can't port the number, new SIM chips, blah blah blah...

My service guy has been pretty good with details so far so if I can help with info pre/post next Thursday let me know.
[snapback]86193[/snapback]

Happy happy happy Sans I have a Sept 03 built e60, please keep me and others on your list of hopefulls its in your hands. If this works out for you please get all the details from your SA and mechanic and post it with part numbers software versions and hiccups if any so we I may pass it onto my SA
Old 02-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by buddy' date='Feb 2 2005, 07:29 PM
[quote name='Sans' date='Feb 2 2005, 04:39 PM']That 948 part number is the old TCU.

I have a 9/2003 build where my TCU was replaced about a month ago (old TCU 84 11 6 948 921) replaced with 84 11 6 956 688.? Software has been updated to V13 and I do not have NAV.? My phone (T637 on Cingular) doesn't get paired at the dealer until next Thursday 2/10/05 - long story, new carrier, can/can't port the number, new SIM chips, blah blah blah...

[snapback]86193[/snapback]

Happy happy happy Sans I have a Sept 03 built e60, please keep me and others on your list of hopefulls its in your hands. If this works out for you please get all the details from your SA and mechanic and post it with part numbers software versions and hiccups if any so we I may pass it onto my SA
[snapback]86245[/snapback]
[/quote]

Absolutely - I had an appointment for tomorrow but canceled because porting my number from Sprint to Cingular has proved to be far more difficult than I imagined. I guess I can wait one more friggin' week...
Old 02-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Members

I have a 2004 545i built in early Feb and delivered March 3. I've been bugging my dealer to find out what needs to be done to get Bluetooth working and they claim after checking with BMWNA that I need a new TCU and a Bluetooth antenna installed under the rear package shelf. That installation involves 4 hours of labor due to the complexity. I'm not sure I believe them but don't have any basis to question it other than never having heard about it on this or other forums.

After a lot of complaining, the dealer has agreed to do the upgrade for $950-1000 max cost to me. They had previously estimated the project at $2300! The only caveat they added was after taking the car apart if they found there was no wiring tied off under the package shelf for the antenna (as BMWNA told them there would be for my VIN), they would put the car back together and there would be no charge for their labor.

I plan to schedule this work in the next couple of weeks. I still don't have a Bluetooth phone as I waiting for Verizon to update their models. The XV6600 will probably be the one I choose but it has some problems that need patching. If anyone has contradictory information about the antenna, I'd love to hear about it.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, jeff_s !
Old 02-03-2005, 04:01 AM
Senior Members

Lomag,
You could always "swap" TCU's if you do a long test drive

Quick Reply: Assist/BT TCU