E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ARRRRRGGGGGHHH1!!!! HELLLLP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you using the headphone output on your MP3 player it is lower than using a line-out. I have Aux-input and a Sony HD1 and use line-out and it is far louder than headphones.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Yep, streams numbers are right on for the low end of the cost range that more of us, I believe, have experienced. And as he said, anything you can plug a stereo mini jack into that produces sound you can use. Should you accidently use a MONO cable expect only half the sound to be reproduced or to some ears appears to be at low volume (unfortunately some have selected the wrong cable).

Can be the output of a headset jack which makes audio level impacted by volume control on source unit. Can also be the output of a line out jack that would normally be independent of the source volume setting - usually cleaner sound and at higher volume.

I have used a MP3 player and Cassette tape player successfully
Old 06-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Steve, you are correct. The PSP only has headphone out and the sound was WAAAAAY to low. I plugged in my laptop and the volume was excellent.

I am not sure what happened to my Logic7, but it fixed itself after the technician blasted my stereo. He said he did not mess with the factory cables, only plugging in the AUX cables into the connector that is there from the factory.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

BTW, labor was $170 and the part was $75.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

The iPod with a line-out adapter charger is the only way to go.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Do you have to have the power to the line out adapter/charger, or can you have it connected to the adapter and then the line out from there to the Aux input, without power being applied?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Jun 8 2005, 06:51 AM
Do you have to have the power to the line out adapter/charger, or can you have it connected to the adapter and then the line out from there to the Aux input, without power being applied?
[snapback]137523[/snapback]
There are multiple produtcs... there are ones that are combo cig chargers with a line-out on the charger (Belkin), and there are knobby things you can just plug into the dock slot that give you a line-out without a charger associated with them. Go to www.jandr.com and www.belkin.com and browse the iPod accessory sections.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 6speed e60

Originally Posted by stream' date='Jun 7 2005, 10:54 AM
[quote name='e60 got lip' date='Jun 7 2005, 06:19 AM']curious... how much does it cost to install it?? what can you use to connect to it, MP3 player?? if so can someone give me an example?? what kind of cable is used to connect to the aux input?
[snapback]137077[/snapback]
I'm having the aux input installed tomorrow. The part is $71 list ($64 after BMWCCA discount at my dealer) and it's about an hour labor to install, so around $200 - $250 total.

The aux input is a female mini-stereo connector. You plug a mini-stereo cable in it, and the other end of the cable connects to a MP3 player, Walkman, etc. This is the cable I'm using:
http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2719

[snapback]137150[/snapback]
[/quote]

thanks..
Old 06-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: First Vehicle: 2004 545I, Silver Gray Metallic Exterior with Gray Interior & Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic, Active Steering, Sports Suspension w/Dynamic Drive, Logic 7, Heads-up Display, Voice Input, 6 Disc CD Changer in Glove Box, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Comfort Seats, Fold-down Rear Seats, Professional Navigation System, Winter Package with Heated Steering Wheel and Rear Heated Seats, Rear Side Airbags, Powered Sunblind for Rear Window, Manual Rear Side Sunblinds, Universal Remote Control, Interior/Exterior Anti-dazzle Mirrors, Satellite Tuner Prep, Passport SR-1 Remote Radar Detector, Aux Stereo Input, Wood shift knob, XM Radio Second Vehicle: 2004 X5 4.8IS

Hey guys,
Besides plugging in my mp3 player I also purchased a XM radio and plugged it in with a twin plug adapter (1/8" stereo Male plug with 2 - 1/8" female plugs) that I picked up at Radio shack. So now I can play either my mp3 player or shut that off and play my XM Radio. Both have excellent sound quality with logic 7.

I wanted the XM set-up instead of the Sirus setup built in the car since I move the XM receiver to multiple vehicles.