E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ARRRRRGGGGGHHH1!!!! HELLLLP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Anything attached to the AUX is super quiet. WTF? I did a search on the forum and found that this is a common problem but what do I tell the dealer?!

They were reluctant to do it in the first place.

I think we need to spread the info on the pin connections as the ones from BMWAG are not correct for US-spec cars.

If anyone knows what the aux connectors should go please post it so I can tell my dealer tomorrow!

THANKS!
Old 06-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

My MP3 player was very quiet the first day or two. I realized that I didn't have the wire plugged all the way into the input jack. Also, with my MP3 player I need to have the volume all the way up for it to sound "normal" in the car. Not a big deal except that I use my player in my office. Occasionally I come from my car and forget about the volume setting. (I'm learning very quickly).
Old 06-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Senior Members

I'm sure the cable is plugged in all the way (as far as it would go) and the volume on my MP3 player (PSP) is all the way up too. I read a lot about the AUX before deciding to do it, there were some problems about a few people losing bass as the subs under the seats don't work any more (my case).

I wish there was an updated wiring diagram that I can take w/ me to the dealer tomorrow. I know they screwed something up.

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Jun 6 2005, 10:36 PM
My MP3 player was very quiet the first day or two.? I realized that I didn't have the wire plugged all the way into the input jack.? Also, with my MP3 player I need to have the volume all the way up for it to sound "normal" in the car.? Not a big deal except that I use my player in my office.? Occasionally I come from my car and forget about the volume setting.? (I'm learning very quickly).
[snapback]136933[/snapback]
Old 06-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Could the EQ settings from the MP3 player and the Logic 7 be conflicting?
Old 06-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Senior Members

No I checked that too (messed around w/ logic7 settings as well as the EQ).

Problem is, there is no CLEAR instructions on how to do this anywhere. The instructions from BMWAG are clearly wrong for our US-SPEC cars.

If I ever get this thing fixed, I'll ask the technician exactly what he did so I can post it as there is nothing on this forum about the wiring for our us cars.

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Jun 6 2005, 11:19 PM
Could the EQ settings from the MP3 player and the Logic 7 be conflicting?
[snapback]136947[/snapback]
Old 06-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

The aux input installation instructions (attached below) say the following:
disconnect the existing cables from branch A2 and connect them to plug ......:
WS/BL cable to PIN 7
WS/RT cable to PIN 2
WS/BR cable to PIN 8

The harness I have (to be installed this week) has wires in pins 3, 4 & 10, so I assume my dealer will follow the instructions and make the change. Perhaps yours didn't follow this step?
5_series_aux_input.pdf
Old 06-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Senior Members

Stream,

Thanks I will ask the tech tomorrow and ask him if he did this.

Tom

Originally Posted by stream' date='Jun 6 2005, 11:40 PM
The aux input installation instructions (attached below) say the following:
WS/BL cable to PIN 7
WS/RT cable to PIN 2
WS/BR cable to PIN 8

The harness I have (to be installed this week) has wires in pins 3, 4 & 10, so I assume my dealer will follow the instructions and make the change.? Perhaps your didn't follow this step?
Attachment 8259
[snapback]136953[/snapback]
Old 06-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by tomwid' date='Jun 6 2005, 08:49 PM
Stream,

Thanks I will ask the tech tomorrow and ask him if he did this.

Tom

[quote name='stream' date='Jun 6 2005, 11:40 PM']The aux input installation instructions (attached below) say the following:
WS/BL cable to PIN 7
WS/RT cable to PIN 2
WS/BR cable to PIN 8

The harness I have (to be installed this week) has wires in pins 3, 4 & 10, so I assume my dealer will follow the instructions and make the change.? Perhaps your didn't follow this step?
Attachment 8259
[snapback]136953[/snapback]
[snapback]136956[/snapback]
[/quote]

Let us know--I have an appointment Wednesday AM for the install.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 6speed e60

curious... how much does it cost to install it? what can you use to connect to it, MP3 player? if so can someone give me an example? what kind of cable is used to connect to the aux input?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by e60 got lip' date='Jun 7 2005, 06:19 AM
curious... how much does it cost to install it?? what can you use to connect to it, MP3 player?? if so can someone give me an example?? what kind of cable is used to connect to the aux input?
[snapback]137077[/snapback]
I'm having the aux input installed tomorrow. The part is $71 list ($64 after BMWCCA discount at my dealer) and it's about an hour labor to install, so around $200 - $250 total.

The aux input is a female mini-stereo connector. You plug a mini-stereo cable in it, and the other end of the cable connects to a MP3 player, Walkman, etc. This is the cable I'm using:
http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2719

Quick Reply: ARRRRRGGGGGHHH1!!!! HELLLLP PLEASE!