E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Anyone know how to Upgrade existing Audio (no factory amp installed)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 530d M sport

Is there anyone out there that knows how I would upgrade my existing stereo system in my 2005 530i Petrol M Sport.

The stereo system you have in my vehicle is option 663 Professional Radio and the navigation I have is option 609 Professional Navigation.

BMW Customer service tell me that on the professional radio system there is no amplifier. This is available on the optional radio system option 676 Hi-Fi audio system which I do not have.

Is there a way that I can splice wires and put an amplifier inline with teh system and if ic ould, how and where is the best place to splice.

I know that battery is in the boot (trunk) so this would be best position for the amplifier.

As there is no amplifier, its quite hard to know where to start as I beleive that the Idrive system is fibre optic so any ideas would be appreciated.

I also need to upgrade the speakers. I have the standard system (not logic 7 etc) witha sub under each front seat, mid range and tweeters in the front doors and standard speakers in parcel shelf in rear (no rear door speakers).

The system i have in my E60 is very basic and does not sound as good as it could do.

I had a really good system in my E39 Alpina B10 (an Audison SRX3 amp, Diamond Sub, Focal mid range and tweeters) but the electrical system in the E60 is lot more advanced and complicated.

I know there are a few DIY sections on this but most of them are based around upgrading the existing amp but I do not have one so dontowwhere to start!
Old 08-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Well, I am not sure if not having an amp is accurate. However, you can check by removing the left rear panel in your trunk (boot to Brits) and seeing if there is a small box attached to the back side of the wheel well. If not, then you have no amp. This is also the best location to have one installed since the wiring for teh stereo is in the same area (closer to the tail light). Hope this helps and good luck
Old 08-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Members

What I was told was that there is an internal Amplifier in the head unit to drive the speakers. But it is not powerful I guess.

And thus I like you have done some upgrades. Have a look at the pictures. I found a wiring diagram in this diagram courtesy of someone. If you find it helpful....

Enjoy and yes it is possible.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone know how to Upgrade existing Audio (no factory amp installed)-e60midwooferwiring.jpg  
Old 08-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Members

Courtesy of someone in this forum =) for the wiring diagram. I am sorry I didn't remember his nick =)
Old 08-09-2009, 02:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by nevrev73' post='969711' date='Aug 8 2009, 11:07 PM
Is there a way that I can splice wires and put an amplifier inline with teh system and if ic ould, how and where is the best place to splice.

I know that battery is in the boot (trunk) so this would be best position for the amplifier.

As there is no amplifier, its quite hard to know where to start as I beleive that the Idrive system is fibre optic so any ideas would be appreciated.

I also need to upgrade the speakers. I have the standard system (not logic 7 etc) witha sub under each front seat, mid range and tweeters in the front doors and standard speakers in parcel shelf in rear (no rear door speakers).
The diagram above is no good for you because like you say there is no external amplifier on your car. You also dont have tweeters in the door and the speakers under the seats aren't even subs they run full range in parallel to the front door speakers.

You could fit one of these though http://www.bluespot.co.uk/amplifiers.asp and buy the cable that routes all the way to the front radio unit(plug and play). That then splits the under seat input from the front doors to supply just bass and also supplies full range power to all the other speakers. Would be best to combine it with a speaker upgrade as well though.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='970048' date='Aug 9 2009, 11:24 AM
The diagram above is no good for you because like you say there is no external amplifier on your car. You also dont have tweeters in the door and the speakers under the seats aren't even subs they run full range in parallel to the front door speakers.

You could fit one of these though http://www.bluespot.co.uk/amplifiers.asp and buy the cable that routes all the way to the front radio unit(plug and play). That then splits the under seat input from the front doors to supply just bass and also supplies full range power to all the other speakers. Would be best to combine it with a speaker upgrade as well though.
I have looked on the left hand wheel arch behind the panel as you look in the boot, and there is a small metal case that is around 8 inches long by around 3 inches wide.

It has a small white round plug plugged into it. It looks like an amp, but i am not sure.

Based on not having an amp how did you other owners get around this?

Did you have to splce the wire from the back of the idrive or inline somewhere else?

Did you get someone to do the install for you or did you do it yourself?

It would be nice to know

Many thanks!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by nevrev73' post='971989' date='Aug 11 2009, 03:05 AM
I have looked on the left hand wheel arch behind the panel as you look in the boot, and there is a small metal case that is around 8 inches long by around 3 inches wide.

It has a small white round plug plugged into it. It looks like an amp, but i am not sure.

Did you have to splce the wire from the back of the idrive or inline somewhere else?

It would be nice to know

Many thanks!
Try reading this for some ideas:

Adding an amp and subwoofers
Old 08-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by nevrev73' post='971989' date='Aug 11 2009, 09:05 AM

It would be nice to know

Many thanks!
It sounds like you may have the HiFi option fitted to your car. Give your local dealer a ring with your VIN and they will tell you in a couple of minutes. Then you can go from there as to how to upgrade.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='972122' date='Aug 11 2009, 07:54 AM
It sounds like you may have the HiFi option fitted to your car. Give your local dealer a ring with your VIN and they will tell you in a couple of minutes. Then you can go from there as to how to upgrade.

+1 I have the same box (since the "HiFi" is the standard system here in the US) so that just made your job a LOT easier!!! I have 12" sub and amp in my trunk (or boot) with no problem took me about a hours to install. Check with your dealer to make sure though.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='972178' date='Aug 11 2009, 04:32 PM
+1 I have the same box (since the "HiFi" is the standard system here in the US) so that just made your job a LOT easier!!! I have 12" sub and amp in my trunk (or boot) with no problem took me about a hours to install. Check with your dealer to make sure though.

This picture ..... https://5series.net/forums/index.php?act=at...st&id=53144

looks very simular to what i have on the left hand side wheel arch. This a pciture from the post "adding a subwoofer" which i couldnt find myself but i had read it beofre previously!

I have to take the panel completely off and have a look but i ll let you know what i find.

BMW customer service UK told me that I ahd the standard stereo system and that I didnt have an amp, but from what i can see, i have. I just think my amp is smaller than the one shown in the picture.

Thanks for you help so far! I ll let you know how i get on!

Any other ideas or successful installs post on here with some info! many thanks!

Quick Reply: Anyone know how to Upgrade existing Audio (no factory amp installed)