E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Anyone interested in OEM style back up camera kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally ... Hello.

It took me about 1 hour to read through all the 11 pages of this thread, I'm glad I did though.

SPROCKET - can you please contact me, I also have an E61, and I would like to know how hard is it to get this kit installed. andykisil@hotmail.com

Mentholguy - have you ever installed this on an E61? I looked at my handle and it is different from the sedan version (so it seems to me). Will the camera fit somehow? I've also sent you an e-mail, can you take a look?

My car has an M - Package kit (with M front bumper). I could not get Night Vision as an option from the factory because of this, but I plan to retrofit the kit in the future. Given the assumption (or if someone know for sure, let me know) that BMW's Night Vision uses RCA as an input, can I connect the NV camera via your "interface"? How would I turn it on/off - by pressing the "Menu" button on the iDrive? If NV doesn't use RCA, how would I be able to connect to the kit?

My car is also a 6spd manual transmission. I'm not sure what is the trigger for the back-up camera turn on - Is it hte "R" on the dashboard or the reversing lights in the rear. Does the kit work with Manual Transmission cars?

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Very Helpful link I stummbled upon,
Thanks.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andy535xi
Finally ... Hello.

It took me about 1 hour to read through all the 11 pages of this thread, I'm glad I did though.

SPROCKET - can you please contact me, I also have an E61, and I would like to know how hard is it to get this kit installed. andykisil@hotmail.com

Mentholguy - have you ever installed this on an E61? I looked at my handle and it is different from the sedan version (so it seems to me). Will the camera fit somehow? I've also sent you an e-mail, can you take a look?

My car has an M - Package kit (with M front bumper). I could not get Night Vision as an option from the factory because of this, but I plan to retrofit the kit in the future. Given the assumption (or if someone know for sure, let me know) that BMW's Night Vision uses RCA as an input, can I connect the NV camera via your "interface"? How would I turn it on/off - by pressing the "Menu" button on the iDrive? If NV doesn't use RCA, how would I be able to connect to the kit?

My car is also a 6spd manual transmission. I'm not sure what is the trigger for the back-up camera turn on - Is it hte "R" on the dashboard or the reversing lights in the rear. Does the kit work with Manual Transmission cars?

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Very Helpful link I stummbled upon,
Thanks.
Hello andy535xi,

Yes, you can add night vision thermal camera to interface module later on, if it has RCA cable then it will fit without any converter/adapter cable, but if not, you need to get RCA converter/adapter cable (depends on which connector your NV has).

Everything you connected to module will be "Stand By Mode" once you turn on your engine, and once you select AV source by press and hold iDrive "MENU" button or "Arrow Down" on your steering for couple seconds, it will turn on your devices whatever you connected to module.
To turn off and bring back to stock screen, you just simply press iDrive "MENU" button once.

6MT transmission doesn't have reverse CAN signal, and you need to tap one wire into your reverse light +v12 power source. (Blue/Black wire)

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Thanks
Kris
Old 01-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank for the quick reply.

As you may know, our cars are notorious for battery drain, and all sorts of stupid code throwing due to excess/not enough electrical loads. If I tap into the reverse wire, do you think I'll have any codes come up? It would be interesting to hear from Sprocket how he hooked up his setup.

Have you looked into mounted the camera on the E61? is there enough space?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by andy535xi
Thank for the quick reply.

As you may know, our cars are notorious for battery drain, and all sorts of stupid code throwing due to excess/not enough electrical loads. If I tap into the reverse wire, do you think I'll have any codes come up? It would be interesting to hear from Sprocket how he hooked up his setup.

Have you looked into mounted the camera on the E61? is there enough space?
You are going to tap one wire into reverse light +v12, which is only hot when you are in reverse, not all the time.
I've installed few kits on 6MT cars, no error code or battery problem at all
Old 01-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Members

iam interested...
what setup do i need ?
Old 01-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rolly888
iam interested...
what setup do i need ?
PM Sent!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Members

Ut's 07 M5 - Full package + Front Camera + DVD Player Installed

Old 02-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

wow cool , can mine do this too ? i mean i have 525 07 no NAV
Old 02-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NguyenAzn
wow cool , can mine do this too ? i mean i have 525 07 no NAV
Sure, it works without NAV (6.5" screen) but you won't be able to have split screen, but other than that, you can still have rear view, front view, video playback and/or DVD players.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Members

I'm currently working on this project. I have the backup camera installed, the wire routed to the front footwell, and most of the dash apart.

I'm having trouble removing the glovebox. I've removed the top 4 screws, a screw on each side, and 4 screws along the bottom; but I can't seem to find what the diy instructions have as a red arrow on the right side of the glovebox on page number 8.

doba_s has similar instructions and neither one really shows this particular screw very well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MMN-E60DIY.pdf (3.49 MB, 190 views)

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in OEM style back up camera kit?