E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

anyone have Michelin Pilots? Non Runflats!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer is suggesting replacing my Dunlop RUn-flats to NON-runflats - Michelin Pilots... I don't know exactly which one, but I do know the PS2 are NOT on the BMW approved tire list, and the only way to get them warranteed is using something on the list.

He is claiming, and I trust him, that the Michelin's or realy any non-runflat will give me better handling, better traction wet & dry, less noise, and an all around noticeably better ride.

anyone have comments?
Old 11-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 545 Silver Grey, Grey, Sports Package, Preimium, Cold Weather, Shades, PDC, Logic 7, Fold Down Back Seats, AUX, Carputer

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S got it installed today let you know how it is so far more smooth ride, i did notice on turns the car is not as tight as it used to be i guess i just have to get used to it
Old 11-16-2004, 01:37 PM
JDN
Contributors

How was the cost compared to Dunlop?
Old 11-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Contributors

Wassy,

I will be putting on the Michelin PS2 on new 19"rims by this time next week. They are putting Michelin Pilot Alpins on my stock rims. Weather will determine if I get to try them out or not.

Another note, the 19" style 128 rims from BMW, if you get the wheel and tire package come with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

I wonder why the PS2 is not on the approved tire list? Too new maybe. Also, Samyt has the PS2 on his ride, so you may be able to PM him for his opinion. Have not seen him post in awhile.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

Your dealer is absolutely correct.

You can use the Michelins, Bridgestone Pole Position SO3's or Goodyear F1 GS-D3's - all are superb tires, and a giant leap above the runflats. You can read the reviews on all the tires (including the runflats) at tirerack.com.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Nov 16 2004, 06:32 PM
My dealer is suggesting replacing my Dunlop RUn-flats to NON-runflats - Michelin Pilots... I don't know exactly which one, but I do know the PS2 are NOT on the BMW approved tire list, and the only way to get them warranteed is using something on the list.?

He is claiming, and I trust him, that the Michelin's or realy any non-runflat will give me better handling, better traction wet & dry, less noise, and an all around noticeably better ride.

anyone have comments?
[snapback]56942[/snapback]
Hello Wassy, I'm curious, are you changing tires because they are worn out or are you just not happy with them. I have the same tires on my car, first experience with run flats. They are not real smooth, but this is a BMW not a mercedes. Thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jochet' date='Nov 16 2004, 08:21 PM
[quote name='wassy' date='Nov 16 2004, 06:32 PM']My dealer is suggesting replacing my Dunlop RUn-flats to NON-runflats - Michelin Pilots... I don't know exactly which one, but I do know the PS2 are NOT on the BMW approved tire list, and the only way to get them warranteed is using something on the list.?

anyone have comments?
[snapback]56942[/snapback]
Hello Wassy, I'm curious, are you changing tires because they are worn out or are you just not happy with them. I have the same tires on my car, first experience with run flats. They are not real smooth, but this is a BMW not a mercedes. Thanks
[snapback]57016[/snapback]
[/quote]

i have a rocky ride @ 35-40MPH... ordered new Bridgestone runflats...but they are not happy, so goona do the non-runflats.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Contributors

what I'd like to know is whether the Pilots are that much worse than Pilot 2's... Surely, there has to be other people with pilots?
Old 11-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Nov 16 2004, 08:02 PM
what I'd like to know is whether the Pilots are that much worse than Pilot 2's... Surely, there has to be other people with pilots?
[snapback]57024[/snapback]
I have Michelin Pilot Alpin for my winter setup and I must say that so far (no snow yet ) they ride pretty nice. A little softer than the stock Dunlops and maybe somewhat quieter. Certainly, since they're not HP summer tires, the stickyness in the cornering has suffered a bit but that's OK for winter time anyway.

Overall I think it's a good tire.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RH530' date='Nov 16 2004, 09:12 PM
[quote name='wassy' date='Nov 16 2004, 08:02 PM']what I'd like to know is whether the Pilots are that much worse than Pilot 2's... Surely, there has to be other people with pilots?
[snapback]57024[/snapback]
I have Michelin Pilot Alpin for my winter setup and I must say that so far (no snow yet ) they ride pretty nice. A little softer than the stock Dunlops and maybe somewhat quieter. Certainly, since they're not HP summer tires, the stickyness in the cornering has suffered a bit but that's OK for winter time anyway.

Overall I think it's a good tire.
[snapback]57026[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks... I live in South FLorida.. will be NO need for winter tires...

Quick Reply: anyone have Michelin Pilots? Non Runflats!