E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Anyone Got any suggestions for exhaust systems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006 | 05:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by iceman316' post='366750' date='Dec 12 2006, 07:39 PM
I heard the samething.. that superchargers give you alot of problems
It's not so much superchargers, per se. The problem is putting one on a highly managed engine, as in BMW, that is not designed for a supercharger. I am not saying it can't be done. But, I'd need to see a number of them work properly before I started to become convinced. And, I would think that the cost would be prohibitive to do the job right--as Alpina does. Finally, the warranty issues could be nightmares--even if the company providing the supercharger is Dinan.
Old 12-13-2006 | 09:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by iceman316' post='366623' date='Dec 12 2006, 01:37 PM
Both Eisenmann and B&B are good exhausts.. If you want a louder deeper sound then go with B&B

Here's a vid of Rodys old B&B exhaust its sounds great
Rody's B&B vid

nice clip that sounds really nice
Old 12-13-2006 | 10:03 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 545i, SilverGray with 30% tint all around

Anyone have a sound/video clip of the superspring exhaust on a 545. I know that RodyBMW has posted video clips for the Eisenmann and B&B exhaust, but I wanted to hear a supersprint exhaust before i purchase mine.
Old 12-13-2006 | 10:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

kC_GiRL,
If you want to hear what the B&B sounds like in person you should attend the Socal Meet & Greet in Huntington Beach 1/6/07. Brian1225 will be there with his 550i and B&B. Iceman316 will also be there with his 550i and M5 exhaust. The audio clips you hear online really doesn't do any of the exhausts justice.
Old 12-13-2006 | 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='367022' date='Dec 13 2006, 12:04 PM
kC_GiRL,
If you want to hear what the B&B sounds like in person you should attend the Socal Meet & Greet in Huntington Beach 1/6/07. Brian1225 will be there with his 550i and B&B. Iceman316 will also be there with his 550i and M5 exhaust. The audio clips you hear online really doesn't do any of the exhausts justice.
Mine do if you listen through a good sound system. I should have played them for you on my new Gateway when you were here.
Old 12-13-2006 | 10:26 AM
Senior Members

ZNOD,
Since you are the mathematician and scientist here how about this idea for the V8s assuming you have some kinf of diffusser to hold the dual exhaust.... get a local shop to cut the exhaust and fabricate simple tubing all they way to the back for each 4 cylinders and attached a thin muffler similar to the RD sports to fit in the space.. i think a regular exhaust (non stainless steel) will last a good 5 years which is longer that I have anticipated having my car anyways, and will provide the sound, performance and looks for a fraction of the cost? someone in belgium did it and have been itching me here My only 2 concerns is performance dregradation or agregation AND sound... what is your opinion? yeior nai?
here is a pic of what im trying to accomplish
Anyone Got any suggestions for exhaust systems?-custom_quads_02.jpg
and its similar to this
Anyone Got any suggestions for exhaust systems?-rd_sport_quad.jpg
Old 12-13-2006 | 11:45 AM
Contributors

I hope I don't disappoint, but I think the car would be slower and way to loud for me. And, I can't imagine that such a set up would not produce a huge amount of resonance. Finally, I have no idea how the emission warning system, etc., would react to such a set up, but I'd bet the reaction would not be good. Note that I can't exactly tell what would be in place emission wise.
Old 12-13-2006 | 11:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by Don Juan' post='367033' date='Dec 13 2006, 02:26 PM
ZNOD,
Since you are the mathematician and scientist here how about this idea for the V8s assuming you have some kinf of diffusser to hold the dual exhaust.... get a local shop to cut the exhaust and fabricate simple tubing all they way to the back for each 4 cylinders and attached a thin muffler similar to the RD sports to fit in the space.. i think a regular exhaust (non stainless steel) will last a good 5 years which is longer that I have anticipated having my car anyways, and will provide the sound, performance and looks for a fraction of the cost? someone in belgium did it and have been itching me here My only 2 concerns is performance dregradation or agregation AND sound... what is your opinion? yeior nai?
here is a pic of what im trying to accomplish
Attachment 26811
and its similar to this
Attachment 26812
ask daytrader0, seems like that's what he did -
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=362963
Old 12-13-2006 | 12:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by Znod' post='366722' date='Dec 12 2006, 06:11 PM
For anyone thinking about the possible performance benefits from mods, check this thread out. Also, note that I have never seen a post by anyone with a modded 545i or 550i that implies that his or her car is faster than, say, the average stock car. The only mod that I think would be worthwhile is the change to a lower rear end and then to drag radials (which likely would be necessary at least on a manual or a Steptronic). I don't know enough about SMG's to know how they would react wheel-spin wise, but my bet is that they would require drag radials too. Note that I am ignoring the possibility that anyone would engage in what would likely be a disaster--having, for example, a supercharger or NOS installed.
I think the main problem is due to the increased wheel size on most modded cars. I was reading in European Car that it could take about 20 additional hp to offset the increased rolling resistance of a bigger tire and wheel combo to get it back closer to normal performance levels. I think this issue is well known but not very obvious when we talk about performance. I did a few runs with Vegastrashed and except for one attempt, he jumped on me on all the runs and I was only able to stay next to him at about a half car to full car length back. My car didn't gain as I had thought it would considering my Dinan mods. I'm not using this as an excuse but it's really making me think about going back to 19s and seeing that post for the 19 inch R10s in the Classifieds isn't helping either... :'(

Anyway, I definitely agree that for a "noticeable" gain in performance, only increased displacement or force induction will work. Otherwise, any minimal increase in hp from simple bolt-on mods like what I've done can easily be offset but drivers' skills or the alignment of the planets...

BTW, I do plan on getting the Dinan software. I think it'll tie my other upgrades together and improve driveability as well as performance (even if it's minimal or to only get me back to square one - stock performance). After that, I have to seriously consider force induction or......................get that damn M5! hahaha
Old 12-13-2006 | 12:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='367022' date='Dec 13 2006, 11:04 AM
kC_GiRL,
Won't her car sound different cause it's an inline 6 instead of a V8?

Quick Reply: Anyone Got any suggestions for exhaust systems?