E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Anyone ever take their headers/cats out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Hey guys,

I'm going to be doing some aftermarket headers on my car and was wondering if anyone had any experience taking the headers out on a e60? I mostly want to know if it can be done without removing any engine mounts?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

hmmm. 43 looks and no comments. Looks like I may be pioneering this myself...
Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cleung
hmmm. 43 looks and no comments. Looks like I may be pioneering this myself...
Removing the factory exhaust manifolds is described step by step in the Bentley e60 service manual for each engine platform, but the manual is in my car at the moment so I can't describe each step for you at the moment. I do know that the v8 model says you have to disconnect the engine mounts and drop the subframe, but I know of one man who did the v8 headers without dropping the subframe. He said it took him 30+ hours to do the job though..
Old 03-17-2011, 01:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

my question is, why? bmw puts more work in to the stock exhaust design than you may think. i'd be willing to bet that you would at best see minimal gains in power improvement, and more likely you will lose torque.

if you want more power, get a 550 or m5.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by turboawd
my question is, why? bmw puts more work in to the stock exhaust design than you may think. i'd be willing to bet that you would at best see minimal gains in power improvement, and more likely you will lose torque.

Wish I had a bentley manual, any chance I could get you to check out the procedure for the m54 engine e60's?

Originally Posted by turboawd

Interesting that you think this. Yes I agree bmw does have probably some of the best oem exhaust systems out there, however many people with e46's have done this with great results. The biggest reason that this is so successful is that by going to aftermarket headers I will be removing the cats, the cats are the most restrictive part of the bmw exhaust. This is really not much different than the twin turbo guys going to catless downpipes.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

Originally Posted by cleung
This is really not much different than the twin turbo guys going to catless downpipes.
That's sorta true yeah. If you have the time/patience then go for it.
It's that attitude that gets us the "next best thing".

I just think it might be too much work, but I've been reading your posts about doing this, and it seems you got your mind set! Not many can help because most have not attempted, and wouldn't bother going where no...blablabla
Old 03-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Contributors

yeah most likely you will need to drop the subframe, had to do it with my catless downpipes. On the 5 series, its very tight and hard to get into certain areas so most likely you will need to drop it. Def is alot of work for headers