E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Anyone else having problems with Bruce'S cables

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010 | 05:53 AM
Contributors

I thought I was the only one too. I had not seen this thread b4. Ive have bruce's V4 cables since 09. And i just got my right tail light errors a couple months back. I emailed Bruce to ask if he knew what the problem was and he said no, but offered to sell me the V6 cables. I wasnt to happy with that response. That is how the conversation ended.
Old 08-18-2010 | 05:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by alpina04
I thought I was the only one too. I had not seen this thread b4. Ive have bruce's cables since 09. And i just got my right tail light errors a couple months back. I emailed Bruce to ask if he knew what the problem was and he no, but offered to sell me the V6 cables. I wasnt to happy with that response. That is how the conversation ended.
He didn't offer to replace defective product? Instead, tried to sell you a new set? wtf... :thumbsdown:
Old 08-18-2010 | 06:47 AM
Senior Members

Its either an upgrade to new v6 cables or if you have v6 cables you better hope you have your warranty :thumbsdown:
Old 08-18-2010 | 06:49 AM
Senior Members

Just fyi im not the only person with v6 problems. Another member also posted that his second hand V6 cables have this same error.
Old 08-18-2010 | 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aresh
Its either an upgrade to new v6 cables or if you have v6 cables you better hope you have your warranty :thumbsdown:
Jesus.. give Bruce a break. You are the only two who have complained about a product in which HUNDREDS are in operation, which you both claim is defective. How does Bruce know you didn't throw them off a wall? Or you didn't jump start the car frying the innerds of the cables?

I think he is being MORE than reasonable offering to sell you a set of replacements at cost. Its not like Bruce is some large Company, he does this as a service to us in the 5 series community, and of course to make a profit. God bless capitalism. As others have said, go to BMW for the retrofit and there will be their standard 1 year 12,000 mile warranty then you're on your own.

This stuff happens with all machines, and all electronics. I've had a 52 inch Samsung TV go bad after 14 months, and you know Samsung told me? Go pound sand. They didn't offer to sell me a new one at COST.

Cut your loses and take Bruce up on his cost offer, and stop trying to blame him for this issue. Shit happens.

/endrant
Old 08-18-2010 | 07:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
Jesus.. give Bruce a break. You are the only two who have complained about a product in which HUNDREDS are in operation, which you both claim is defective. How does Bruce know you didn't throw them off a wall? Or you didn't jump start the car frying the innerds of the cables?

I think he is being MORE than reasonable offering to sell you a set of replacements at cost. Its not like Bruce is some large Company, he does this as a service to us in the 5 series community, and of course to make a profit. God bless capitalism. As others have said, go to BMW for the retrofit and there will be their standard 1 year 12,000 mile warranty then you're on your own.

This stuff happens with all machines, and all electronics. I've had a 52 inch Samsung TV go bad after 14 months, and you know Samsung told me? Go pound sand. They didn't offer to sell me a new one at COST.

Cut your loses and take Bruce up on his cost offer, and stop trying to blame him for this issue. Shit happens.

/endrant

daaaaaammmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS!
Old 08-18-2010 | 07:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I had issues with my old V4 cables as well and Bruce did try to help me with some inputs on what could have been the problem. I had a local member help me with them but we couldn't get it fixed so I just bought new V6 cables.

So yes, these wires do go bad and maybe there are more people with this problem out there that just haven't spoken out.

As for what Bruce should do, I wouldn't and didn't expect him to give me a new set when my V4 went bad. There's really no requirement for him to do so but I think some hope that he would go above and beyond to help the members here, which is not an unreasonable expectation either.
Old 08-18-2010 | 07:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Aresh is not the first V6 purchaser, but is a purchaser with the first V6 issue after warranty. Bruce has serviced in-warranty issues without any hesitation.

Parts may cost much less than the cost of the cable kit, but the motivation to design, assemble and service the cables (under warranty) has to exists. Granted, the cables are pricey, but it is free market forces at work: seller offers product for sale and sets selling price. Buyer has to decide if the cosmetic upgrade to the rear light is worth spending money on. There are also other lower cost options: DIY resistors or the Hella kit. There is also the expensive BMW full LCI light retrofit path, and even that is 12-month, 12,000 miles. Your BMW Center may or may not provide goodwill service beyond the warranty period.

If I were in Aresh's shoes, I see my options as:
1) take Bruce offer on purchasing a replacement at cost
2) figure out how to replace a defective component in the kit and seek out a soldering expert
3) return to pre-LCI light and sell the LCI light
Old 08-18-2010 | 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by 545ier
I think that the at cost of these cables is somewhere between $20-40 if memory serves me right with my electrical engineering degree...

Bruce, with all due respect this is probably a good opportunity to help someone in the community and show that your products are worth their weight in gold. Considering that Aresh is your first customer you should ship him a new set of cables at the cost of shipping them only. He believed in your product as many other do and shouldn't be treated as if he is trying to rip you off.
funny how you are not factoring in R&D...but I guess maybe you didn't minor or have any experience in Business...

bruce was the first person develop and offer this retrofit system and AFAIK the only kit available, so his kit IMO is worth it's weight in gold.....now if you think you can make the same product for a better price..let's see it....like other's have said..it's a free market...

OP: you had over 12 months of error free use of a product....@$400, that's means you spent a little over a dollar a day....not bad IMO
Old 08-18-2010 | 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: e60

replacement at cost?

:l

whats the cost?

and can i just buy half (left one only)?

Quick Reply: Anyone else having problems with Bruce'S cables