E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ANYONE WITH A 550 IN THE NY/NJ AREA WANT 405HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Merzbow' post='285052' date='May 19 2006, 06:28 PM
I want this for my 545 but I assume you need a remapping after the dealer reprograms the car (which happens to me on every single visit). If the guy has to fly from Chicago to do this, doesn't sound very cost-effective.
I asked the DMS rep Darin about this issue on how they handle the fact that the E60 has a CIP update every 2 months. He said that the remap will be ruined after each software update and that it would have to be remapped again. DMS has a policy that they will remap your car for a year or something like that for free. My question is how is DMS going to come out and remap all the cars here in the US, in every state in every major US city, every two to three months? Not only that but DMS has to update their maps with each BMW CIP upgrade. Logistically this would need major man hours to learn the mapping software from BMW on each CIP release.

They dont have a US office or a US rep. Darin does all the traveling between Asia, Europe and US. There is no way he would be able to make his rounds the way the E60 gets CIP updates all the time. DMS is based in the UK so they would have to fly here from England. With the cost of airfare now a days I dont see how it would be feesible to sustain their warranty.

I know DMS in Europe has a good rep but in the US they have not had a strong history due to being new here. That is why Dinan has ruled in the US via local dealerships they can reach all major cities with warantee items such as remapping.

I am not going to Remap my car so I am not endorsing either company just stating facts. I really enjoyed Darin when he came out to Vegas and I drove him around showing the sites but just to state the facts DMS has a long ways to go before they establish themselves here in the states. They need clear stated Dynos before and after remapping like the Euro specd cars have been proven to show results. They need a clear stated way of keeping their warrantees after each CIP update.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TV550' post='285185' date='May 20 2006, 03:31 AM
They dont have a US office or a US rep. ... just stating facts.
Yes, they do have a US location and rep..
Old 05-20-2006, 06:51 AM
Members

My Ride: I GOT A 2007 TITANIUM GRAY/AUBURN LEATHER 545I 6SPD MANUAL. COLD WEATHER PACKAE, PREMIUM, PREMIUM SOUND LOGIC 7, SPORT.

I am definitely interested, being that it has already been done and the power gains are tramendous.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Perhaps I'm ignorant but can someone please explain to me why they would pay $1200 for remapping when it would need to be redone after every software update?? The beginning of the post says that it's an additional $750 for him to fly in from Chicago to do it. So what is the scenario here?? Everyone who gets it makes appointments to have their software updated by the dealer on the same day and then chips in to arrange for him to fly out from Chicago the next day to reinstall the software. Then, after a year, we can all pay another $1200 plus to repeat the process. Oh and let's not forget making an appointmet every other month at a dyno shop to make sure that the upgrade is valid. Sorry folks, I love you all but this one is moronic. If I want a horsepower upgrade, I'll buy a titanium exhaust and go on a diet so my 550 has less of my fat ass to haul around.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:57 AM
Members

My Ride: I GOT A 2007 TITANIUM GRAY/AUBURN LEATHER 545I 6SPD MANUAL. COLD WEATHER PACKAE, PREMIUM, PREMIUM SOUND LOGIC 7, SPORT.

Got to Agree with JeffNNJ 100%.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Members

My Ride: Performance Center Delivery May 19, 2006: 2007 BMW 550i, Black Saphire, Beige Interior with Poplar Wood, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Navigation, Power Shades, SMG, M Aero Package, Rear Heating,

The professional driving instructor at Spartanburgh mentioned that BMW will have BMW sequential turbos that will eventually be available for bolt-ons to the 550i. Why not just wait for that?

After reading the begining of this post I was ready to buy, but if I have to get remapped everytime my service rep updates my software ... that is enough to kill the deal for me
Old 05-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ACEE' post='285318' date='May 20 2006, 12:18 PM
BMW sequential turbos that will eventually be available for bolt-ons to the 550i. Why not just wait for that?
HOLY CRAP! Now you're talkin'.

I plan to do a lot more research on this before I take the plunge (like finding out if the EU 550i mapping works for a US 550i). And finding out about re-loads if the DMS version gets over-written.

But I think the software update scenarios talked about in this post are being overblown. I've owned my 550i for 7 months now and it runs like a top - I do not plan to ask for a software upgrade any time soon. How often do you honestly think the software needs to be updated on a 2006 or 2007 model year E60? Certainly not every 8 weeks. I'm thinking maybe once in four years.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by 700700' post='285022' date='May 19 2006, 06:27 PM
dms do 100% what they say
my my , quite the expert you are...
Thanks, as a mechanical engineer, I do consider myself knowledgeable in these areas (though maybe not an expert). I also count Larry Prebis from Sound Performance (one of the top Supra tuners in the nation) as one of my best friends. If I'm not the expert, then he certainly is and he will tell you the same thing.

Anyway, as pointed out, remap a 535D and we are talking serious gains (hint increased boost does wonders). Remap a 550, a car tuned by some pretty darn good engineers and you really will be lucky to gain HP without increased emissions, driveability issues, or severe milage penalties. I'm not saying there aren't some hidden gains there, but there will be tradeoffs.

I think C&D did a test a couple of years ago on remapped cars and found that some of them actually lost hp.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Senior Members

you have to remember that most of the engines that are produced and sold have to meet
certain criteria, for emissions and so on... no german brand really pushes their engines, and
as such it is very much possible that you can get reasonable gains from chipping... Take MB
for example, using the same engine (3.2 litre part back in the day) with no modifications whatsoever,
they increased the hp of the engine twice... It really has to do with the competition, if audi is doing
334bhp from their engine, and mercedes (before) has 306bhp, then should you really push the capabilities of the engine? NO... when the competition cathces up, bmw revises their engines, increases the hp without doing much in the way of engine internals
Old 05-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='285339' date='May 20 2006, 11:11 AM
HOLY CRAP! Now you're talkin'.

I plan to do a lot more research on this before I take the plunge (like finding out if the EU 550i mapping works for a US 550i). And finding out about re-loads if the DMS version gets over-written.

But I think the software update scenarios talked about in this post are being overblown. I've owned my 550i for 7 months now and it runs like a top - I do not plan to ask for a software upgrade any time soon. How often do you honestly think the software needs to be updated on a 2006 or 2007 model year E60? Certainly not every 8 weeks. I'm thinking maybe once in four years.
Lol, it seriously isn't your choice dude. Get a window anti-trap warning? Passenger restraint warning? Anything remotely go wrong with the electrical? They're gonna reprogram that sucker.

Quick Reply: ANYONE WITH A 550 IN THE NY/NJ AREA WANT 405HP