E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ANYONE WITH A 550 IN THE NY/NJ AREA WANT 405HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='284831' date='May 19 2006, 11:51 AM
Hey Tachyon,

When your DMS is done, let me take your E60 for spin!!! I'm in Chicago too.
CVT Benhogan
PS Wonder about the impact on MPG??
Until someone can present a dyno chart of their remap bimmer (e60) , remapping should not be an "art." It should be a technical upgrade that is completely measureable. Other side those perameters, remapping is a waste of money and a bogus claim of increase hp/torque. :thumbsdown:
Old 05-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Members

Make sure they do a dyno before and after the programming. DMS came out to Las Vegas to do some M5s but were unsuccessful due to US ECU was different then European ECUs so there was no increase in power on the dyno.

IF you dont dyno before and after you will be kidding yourself and loosing money.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...22838&hl=tv550

DMS had to fly back to the UK and figure out how to redo the US mapping since they could not program it that weekened.

Darin the rep from DMS was a cool guy and very knowledgeable, luckily he didnt charge anyone for the programming since the remapping did not work.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='285003' date='May 19 2006, 05:08 PM
Until someone can present a dyno chart of their remap bimmer (e60) , remapping should not be an "art." It should be a technical upgrade that is completely measureable. Other side those perameters, remapping is a waste of money and a bogus claim of increase hp/torque. :thumbsdown:
Agreed, there is no way you will get that kind of increase with a simple remap -if it was possible, trust me, BMW would be doing it. Most remaps are lucky to get 5hp and often have drivability issues. If someone can post before an after dyno runs (with car at the shop before and after), I'd LOVE to see it. Save your $1,200.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I'm pretty confident that the figures they give are accurate but what they don't tell you is that it probably kills your MPG.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

dms do 100% what they say

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='285012' date='May 19 2006, 11:28 PM
Agreed, there is no way you will get that kind of increase with a simple remap -if it was possible, trust me, BMW would be doing it. Most remaps are lucky to get 5hp and often have drivability issues.
my my , quite the expert you are...
Old 05-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 700700' post='285022' date='May 19 2006, 04:27 PM
dms do 100% what they say
my my , quite the expert you are...
I know DMS is good in Europe with European spec'd cars but in the US I havent seen anyone on any car forums that have shown before and after dynos that their remaps work here. I talked to the guy from DMS personally for 4 hours when he came to Las Vegas and he said that the US ECUs are serverely crippled compared to European cars and that their programmer hasnt been able to get good results yet.

All we are saying is make sure you do this remap at a dyno shop so you can dyno before and after the programming to make sure the results are valid. That is what we did here in Vegas with the E60 M5s and the results were nill. Could you imagine if we took their word for it and drove the car with no improvements? I would arrange to have a group meet at a local dyno shop and then have DMS rep come and do all the cars at the dyno shop. DMS are good guys and are honest. Even they will tell you to do dynos before and after.

Dont get hostile we are just looking out for one another.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TV550' post='285027' date='May 20 2006, 12:49 AM
I know DMS is good in Europe with European spec'd cars but in the US I havent seen anyone on any car forums that have shown before and after dynos that their remaps work here. I talked to the guy from DMS personally for 4 hours when he came to Las Vegas and he said that the US ECUs are serverely crippled compared to European cars and that their programmer hasnt been able to get good results yet.

All we are saying is make sure you do this remap at a dyno shop so you can dyno before and after the programming to make sure the results are valid. That is what we did here in Vegas with the E60 M5s and the results were nill. Could you imagine if we took their word for it and drove the car with no improvements? I would arrange to have a group meet at a local dyno shop and then have DMS rep come and do all the cars at the dyno shop. DMS are good guys and are honest. Even they will tell you to do dynos before and after.

good points.. In the UK, DMS cater for some of the best cars around (55AMG, 996 Turbos... etc) and frankly not many people have even bothered with dyno runs, such is their reputation... Anyways you should of course make sure that you can get the results verified. I have recommened DMS to a couple of friends and have had dealings with them and they really are on top of things ... at least in the uk
Old 05-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

I want this for my 545 but I assume you need a remapping after the dealer reprograms the car (which happens to me on every single visit). If the guy has to fly from Chicago to do this, doesn't sound very cost-effective.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by TV550' post='285027' date='May 19 2006, 06:49 PM

Hi TV550,

Thanks for making this tread meaningful!!! Well done and its comments like yours that makes this site topnotch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully, a practical approach to DMS by our U.S. colleagues will shed light on the topic. I hope that Znod and our the performance experts can weigh in on the subject. I think most 545 and 550 fans have the feeling that greater performance can be obtained. After all, there is no doubt that BMW makes the best powerplants that are truly second to none. Bayersiche Motern Werke is the shit.

CVT Benhogan
Old 05-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

I'm pretty confident that the figures they give are accurate but what they don't tell you is that it probably kills your MPG.
Not really.

It will have an adverse effect on your mpg if you constantly plant your right foot, using the extra oomph, but it usually betters your mpg overall, as all performance parameters are optimised and your car also burns more efficient. I have had 5 cars remapped so far and it's always been the case.

On the performance side (leaving the very valid sounding US ECU issue aside) the results promised are there and have been proven many times here in Europe. The gains will be far less spectacular than on a turbo'd car, but you can still expect between 7-10 % and the feel to the driveability, due to increased torque and throttle response, is still very noticeable and should bring up a smile.

It is a fact that a normally aspirated engine is better tuneable with mechanical additions, but on the value for money side, you're still getting a good deal.

I use someone else for my cars, but can only vouch for DMS as a 1000% honest and correct company, with a traceable success record, hard to be matched.

Quick Reply: ANYONE WITH A 550 IN THE NY/NJ AREA WANT 405HP