E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Any recommended wheel and tire shop in the SF South Bay

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

For all of you SF bay area folks, where do you go to have your wheels and tires mounted and installed (preferably in the south bay?)
Those that get aftermarket wheels and have them mounted and balanced locally, where do you go?

I got a set of used BBS 19", and I want to transfer my original wheel sensors (I have a 07) to the new set of wheels. So I need to unmount the BBS, then unmount the original wheel to take off the sensors, placed the sensor in the BBS wheel, and then remount and balance. I called discount tires and they quote me $15/wheel to unmount, $15/wheel to mount, and $15 to balance (that's all on the 19"). Then they also quote $7/wheel to unmount the stock 17. That's like $210 to do all the work, which hasn't included remounting the 17" wheels and tires....

I heard about places that do lousy jobs and scratch your rims, so any first hand experience with shops will be great. Is it really harder to mount/unmount/balance large wheels?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

You could try Custom Alignment in Mountain View. They use the Hunter road force balance machine which is much better than the standard machines at many tire shops. The Hunter machines balance in both planes with the wheel and tire under load, and will also enable the low spot on the tire to be matched to the high spot on the rim (and vice versa). Take a look at hunter's website, there is a search facility for locations that have the road force machines - they are well worth it.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Hey Kyle. Did you install the PIAA fog bulbs?

Anyway, I thought there weren't distinct tire sensors in each wheel for our cars. At least, in my MY2004 545, the FTM monitors things like wheel speed and stuff to determine if one of the tires is losing pressure. Are the newer E60s equipped with individual tire sensors?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

swajames, thanks for the recommendation. that place is actually 5 mins from work, so I swing by there and talk to Dave. will bring it over there in the next day or so

Hey Tony! I haven't installed the bulbs yet, still got to find the time to do it. Yeh the 2007 has tire pressure sensors mounted inside the wheel, so I have to unmount the OEM wheels to take it out, or buy the new part. I actually got the 19" BBS RGR wheels which looks very nice, can't wait to install them. After that, gotta call Carlab to have them do my suspension work =P My next project will be the sound system, hehe.