E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Any married guys, over 35, with kids out there with an RPI exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

I'm scared that the RPI exhaust will have too much of that kid tuner car sound to it on my 550i. Any guys out there over 35 that have an aftermarket exhaust that you now think is a bit to "20's tuner boy" now? I mean nothing wrong with that, just not for me nowadays. I drive into a underground office parking garage, and sometime have clients / coworkers / bosses in my car to travel distances and don't want the impression to be that of an immature kid in an oversized, overpowered, status symbol car that sounds like a rice burner tuner dude.

Again, if that's your thing, go for it. I'm just looking for some opinions from those of you who read this and say 'yeah, that's what i thought' or 'yeah, that's exactly what it sounded like when i did upgrade my exhaust'.

Please don't take this as a negative on exhaust upgrades or those that are into the tuner thing.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Contributors

Um, I turn 27 this month, single, and I chase vagina whenever possible. I guess I'm out of this poll.

But I'm going to chime in ANYWAYS... Your car will sound like a menacing beast with the RPi exhaust. Tuner sound is an exhaust on a 6 or a 4-banger Civic glass pack. Trust me..... the sound of a V8 with a good exhaust humming in harmony with a BMW German engine is like pure sex. You will liberally perform mental masturbation to the sound of your car as you drive the kids to soccer practice and pick up tampons for the wife.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Originally Posted by bha7176' post='963833' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:14 AM
I'm scared that the RPI exhaust will have too much of that kid tuner car sound to it on my 550i. Any guys out there over 35 that have an aftermarket exhaust that you now think is a bit to "20's tuner boy" now? I mean nothing wrong with that, just not for me nowadays. I drive into a underground office parking garage, and sometime have clients / coworkers / bosses in my car to travel distances and don't want the impression to be that of an immature kid in an oversized, overpowered, status symbol car that sounds like a rice burner tuner dude.

Again, if that's your thing, go for it. I'm just looking for some opinions from those of you who read this and say 'yeah, that's what i thought' or 'yeah, that's exactly what it sounded like when i did upgrade my exhaust'.

Please don't take this as a negative on exhaust upgrades or those that are into the tuner thing.

Thanks.
maybe this will help..

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=927655
Old 08-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Location: SoCal- SFV (Land of pimps, drug dealers, money, hot cars and hot wimmenz...this ain't no movie bitch, mess with us and we'll cut ya!)

Originally Posted by bha7176' post='963833' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:14 AM

Thanks.
You're not alone BHA...that's why I'm waiting until I hear in person.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

howitzer that was some funny shit. by the way, why howitzer? ever heard of the M777A2? I'm in iraq with 6 of them in my battery right now. So, though I'm 38 and not into the tuner scene anymore, i can still kick some ass and blow some shit up dude, believe me. its just when i get back home, finally, and return to my civillian job, i don't want to be the guy that is pulling into the garage sounding like i'm comin in with my souped up 74 firebird or worse yet, my honda civic tuner mobile.

However, once i'm off at the end of the day, driving home all cool and stuff in my 550i and come up to a kid in a mazda protege at a stoplight, I want to be able to stomp it and hear the roar.

I guess I'm more concerned about the controllability of the sound with these things.

God, am I really talking like this. I MUST be getting old. Someone slap me........
Old 08-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by bha7176' post='963833' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:14 AM

Thanks.
I am over 35, have kids and have the FULL M5 RPI exhaust system on my car (3 sections: Cats, X-Pipe, Cans/Tips). My daughter loves it. She passes out immediately upon take off. When I come to a red light and the car is at idle, she starts to cry. It's hilarious. When we put her in the X5, she's not as happy. She prefers the M.

I've also taken clients and coworkers in my M and they all love it. But then again, my car sounds like a Lambo/Ferrari, not like a Honda Civic with a set of coffee cans shooting out the back.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Contributors

You forgot to mention that as much as your daughter may like it, your wife HATES it.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Contributors

Location: SoCal- SFV (Land of pimps, drug dealers, money, hot cars and hot wimmenz...this ain't no movie bitch, mess with us and we'll cut ya!)

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='963960' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:47 AM
I am over 35, have kids and have the FULL M5 RPI exhaust system on my car (3 sections: Cats, X-Pipe, Cans/Tips). My daughter loves it. She passes out immediatly upon take off. When I come to a red light and the car is at idle, she starts to cry. It's hilarious. When we put her in the X5, she's not as happy. She prefers the M.

Hope this helps.
If I had an M5, I'd have no reservations about modding because folks know an M5 means business...now, a 550, 535, etc....it's just not the same...at least IMO.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='963970' date='Aug 3 2009, 01:51 PM
You forgot to mention that as much as your daughter may like it, your wife HATES it.
She loves her X5. She's not into taking turns at 130mph and breaking the sound barrier every time I merge onto the highway. Personally, I don't get it, but hey, she's a woman. Nuff said!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='963970' date='Aug 3 2009, 01:51 PM
Your wife hates it too, btw.

Quick Reply: Any married guys, over 35, with kids out there with an RPI exhaust