E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Another XI owner...wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:29 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I've searched the forum and there are some pretty good and informative posts out there on this subject, but since I'm a newbie both to the forum and to the 5 series wheel issue I could still use some help.

Wife's car is a 2008 528xi with the stock wheels. I would like to upgrade to probably 18"s and a little wider than stock but don't really want to get into spacer issues, wheel well rubbing, etc., especially since it's her daily driver. I really want an OEM looking wheel with the OEM center caps, and not looking to pimp her ride out, just a reasonably better look, in both the wheel and tire. I saw that the AluFelgen SF71's are a possibility, as well as the VMR V710's, both of which I like.

What I could use is some help in spec'ing the exact wheel size and probably tire too. We live in Michigan, and I would prefer to use them year round, but am open to keeping the original wheels/tires for winter use.

Could someone help spec these out?

Thank you in advance!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kmoffitt
Hey guys,
I've searched the forum and there are some pretty good and informative posts out there on this subject, but since I'm a newbie both to the forum and to the 5 series wheel issue I could still use some help.
Wife's car is a 2008 528xi with the stock wheels. I would like to upgrade to probably 18"s and a little wider than stock but don't really want to get into spacer issues, wheel well rubbing, etc., especially since it's her daily driver. I really want an OEM looking wheel with the OEM center caps, and not looking to pimp her ride out, just a reasonably better look, in both the wheel and tire. I saw that the AluFelgen SF71's are a possibility, as well as the VMR V710's, both of which I like.
What I could use is some help in spec'ing the exact wheel size and probably tire too. We live in Michigan, and I would prefer to use them year round, but am open to keeping the original wheels/tires for winter use.
Could someone help spec these out?
Thank you in advance!
I have 18" CLS look-alike reps [they resemble the SF71s] on my 530xi with UHP All Season 245/40x18" General Exclaims ... I like them so much that I've not put on my original 18" w/Bridgestone RFT's This fall [unless I buy another car] I'm planning to get them powder coated and replace the Generals with Conti DSW's. If I recall mine are 18" x 8.5" square setup w/ 35mm offset. Except for the xi being set up a little higher than normal e60 I like the look. Many will suggest lowering the car but I'm not interested. Some pics are in my gallery and if you shop for tires thru Tirerack check out the link in my signature for additional cash rebates that could save you a few dollars.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

Tire size is easy - just go with the stock size for 18 inchers. 245/40/18 - Tire rack will have plenty of choices. For all season Conti DWS and Michelin Pilot Sport AS are highly rated.

Rim width wise I would probably go with 8 inch or 8.5. As for backspacing anything up to ET35 or so should be fine (but there is a great discussion on this board about that).

For year around I would probably stay with 18 inchers.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Munich77
Tire size is easy - just go with the stock size for 18 inchers. 245/40/18 - Tire rack will have plenty of choices. For all season Conti DWS and Michelin Pilot Sport AS are highly rated.

Rim width wise I would probably go with 8 inch or 8.5. As for backspacing anything up to ET35 or so should be fine (but there is a great discussion on this board about that).

For year around I would probably stay with 18 inchers.
+1 Esp in Michigan where the 17" original wheels [with winter or all season tires] might make Winter getting around better.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:57 AM
New Members

Hi Honk,

Thanks for the advice, I checked out your gallery and the wheel/tire combination is great, just what I'm looking for. They look great on your 530! What exactly are those wheels? I'm a newbie so not sure what the "CLS" wheels are....
Old 08-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Kmoffitt, I echo the advice that you use the 17s for your winter setup w/ all seasons (or even snows when the original tires wear out). With that setup, your better half's car will be a tank through the snow.

I just ordered a set of General Exclaims UHP for my summer setup with Style 166 replicas. The 166s are the stock M5 rim, and I think they look awesome, but don't come in xi offsets for OEM, so you have to go with replicas. I've bought from Tire Rack in the past, and they have a wealth of knowledge, but you can't beat TireBuyer.com's prices and free shipping. Check them out.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Contributors

Hi Honk,

Thanks for the advice, I checked out your gallery and the wheel/tire combination is great, just what I'm looking for. They look great on your 530! What exactly are those wheels? I'm a newbie so not sure what the "CLS" wheels are....
CSL refers to a "style" of BMW wheels. Mine are replicas and I think http://www.eurowheelspro.com/ is still a forum sponsor. FYI, the xi offset makes some wheels originally meant for 3 series suitable for the e60xi - BUT you have to be very specific about hub bore and offset. Some tire shops/dealers are not as knowledgeable and can cause you headaches.

Dig into the forum with search ... there are several very comprehensive posts about wheel and tire choices and fitment recommendations for our cars.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Senior Members

Hi Honk,

They are awesome wheels --- plenty of brands make them. Below is a link to the VMR VB3s which are CSL replicas. I think Alufelgen also makes some.

http://www.modbargains.com/VB3-BMW-C...-Staggered.htm