E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Another remap question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 06:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

This might be a tricky question as it could be a bit subjective but here goes.

I currently have a 520d which is in the workshop today and have a 120d loaner. Whilst I miss the creature comforts of my car the performance difference between the 2 cars is staggering. I know that the 5 is a much bigger / heavier car, etc but I want more.....

Can anyone give me any real life experience of the difference between a standard 520d and a remapped 520d. I understand the figures to be about 163 bhp up to 208 (I think) and an increase in torque, however would this make my 5 about the same to drive as the 1 series? The 1 series feels quicker through all the speed ranges with a huge difference at about 30mph - 50 mph.

I have no issue with the remap in terms of money, warranty, etc but would like to really feel a difference.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Members

I've just had my 525d remapped, it's an automatic 2500cc and now develops around 225 bhp. The power delivery is smoother and my fuel consumption has increased plus it's faster! It now pulls better than the Subaru Legacy 3.0R Spec B it replaced. For example, from a standing start my Subaru managed 100mph along a particular stretch of road before I passed an old tree stump, the BMW is passing the same tree stump at 110mph!

Get the remap done, your 520d will be at the heals of older 530?s!

I used Angel Tuning. I?ve used them before and swear by them

Regards,

Ron
Old 04-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by UrbanDriver' post='419390' date='Apr 30 2007, 04:45 PM
Hi all,

I currently have a 520d which is in the workshop today and have a 120d loaner. Whilst I miss the creature comforts of my car the performance difference between the 2 cars is staggering. I know that the 5 is a much bigger / heavier car, etc but I want more.....

Can anyone give me any real life experience of the difference between a standard 520d and a remapped 520d. I understand the figures to be about 163 bhp up to 208 (I think) and an increase in torque, however would this make my 5 about the same to drive as the 1 series? The 1 series feels quicker through all the speed ranges with a huge difference at about 30mph - 50 mph.

I have no issue with the remap in terms of money, warranty, etc but would like to really feel a difference.

Thanks
I have driven a remaped 520d it felt almost like O.E. 530d really
Old 04-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Members

Thanks for the info, I hope the 4 cylinder engines are as happy to be tweaked as the 6's.

I'm not too far from DMS and quite like the warranty they offer (although they are a little more ?'s). Might shop around and see what comes out but am very tempted to get this done soon as.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UrbanDriver' post='419444' date='Apr 30 2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the info, I hope the 4 cylinder engines are as happy to be tweaked as the 6's.

I'm not too far from DMS and quite like the warranty they offer (although they are a little more ?'s). Might shop around and see what comes out but am very tempted to get this done soon as.
Good luck.

Love the sig!

ABC
Old 04-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by UrbanDriver' post='419444' date='Apr 30 2007, 05:40 PM

What warranty do they offer?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Members

Thanks all,

Originally Posted by fuzzer' post='419492' date='Apr 30 2007, 08:47 PM
What warranty do they offer?
My understanding, and I will be checking further, is that they offer a 'warranty' to repair any item within the warranty period that a BMW service centre has refused to fix due to a remap (if found). I've seen loads of posts about rempas being undetectable, but personally I dont want to risk it. I have an Insurance quote for the mod and its not too bad either (only up about 10%). There are a few other companies that offer a remap but DMS are the only one that offer any kind of warranty, as far as I know.

That said, I dont know of anyone that has claimed against a warranty so might not be worth the paper.....
Old 05-01-2007, 12:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by UrbanDriver' post='419512' date='Apr 30 2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks all,
My understanding, and I will be checking further, is that they offer a 'warranty' to repair any item within the warranty period that a BMW service centre has refused to fix due to a remap (if found). I've seen loads of posts about rempas being undetectable, but personally I dont want to risk it. I have an Insurance quote for the mod and its not too bad either (only up about 10%). There are a few other companies that offer a remap but DMS are the only one that offer any kind of warranty, as far as I know.

That said, I dont know of anyone that has claimed against a warranty so might not be worth the paper.....

That sounds similar to the warranty that Brabus do on Mercedes.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by UrbanDriver' post='419390' date='Apr 30 2007, 03:45 PM
Hi all,

Thanks
UrbanDriver,
I'll be picking up my E61 LCI 520d on the 8th of this month and getting the ECU remapped about 10 days later.
I'll post my impressions on the board at the time and then we can compare notes !
Old 05-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by UrbanDriver' post='419390' date='Apr 30 2007, 05:45 PM
Hi all,

Thanks
I've had my 2006 520d remapped by superchips 3 months ago. The gain in power is unbelievable. I had posted a test I had done where my car accelarated 12 seconds quicker from 80km/h to 180 km/h. Before the remap the time was around 29 seconds and after it improved to 17 sec. The second gear pull is amazing! I would definitely recommend that you get your car remapped. Before the remap I preferred driving my SLK. Now I love driving the 520d waiting for some impatient driver to flash his lights on the highway so I can leave him in my dust.

Quick Reply: Another remap question