E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Another iPOD question but only for UK E60 owners.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride:
Arrow

I'm going around the houses and wondered if the problem is real, or could it just be me...?

WWW.APPLE.COM/UK lists one of their favoured iPOD in-car accessories providers as DENSION.

If I follow the link to the DENSION website, they show their product ICE>Link-Lite for E60 and on their dealer locator page list Carphone warehouse as a recommended supplier/installer.

I called Carphone Warehouse and spoke to their in-car installation divsion who quoted me ?149 all up for supply and fit of the ICE>Link-Lite iPOD car-kit. Then the girl asked me to again clarify my vehicle make/model/year and asked specifically if I had satellite Navigation and/or TV fitted.

I explained that I have Pro-Sat without the TV tuner card and was advised that they would not offer to fit their equipment into my car with his configutrationa nd that their previous quote was withdrawn.

Has anyone else had similar issues?
Old 11-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Members

Andy, I think CarPhone Warehouse is all confused. AFAIK there is no Dension solution yet for the E60, it has been long promised but still isn't there yet. I beleive the web site you found is for the E39 previous 5 series. You got asked about the TV/Nav becuase that Dension only works on certain models of the E39. I guess once they found out it wasn't an E39 but an E60 they tried to back out without making themselves look daft! If you want to check on the future of the E60 Dension interface this is about as good an update as you can get: http://www.densionusa.com/ice_selector/ice_selector.php this will barf when you try and put in any 2005/2006 5 series.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride:

Hi MTRHEAD,

There's clearly still some shaking out needed in this area of the market as confusion reigns.

http://www.dension.com/icelink_lite.htm

shows that the ICE>Link-Lite is designed specifically for BMW models E87, E90 and E60, yet their 'approved' installer doesn't want to fit it....

Confused? - I am!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

The Ice Link Lite is a new product and is compatible with the E60. However I have found it impossible to find out the difference between the ICE Link and ICE Link Lite. It looks to me like the Lite version is simply an auxillary cable with a dock. In other words that you cant change the music from your MFSW but from the Ipod controls themselves? Any one got any further info?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:11 AM
Members

Hmm...thanks Andy, well spotted! I've been monitoring Dension's site waiting for the full blown solution and this one passed me by. Keep us posted on if you get this working, I may go this way rather than BMW aux
Old 11-29-2005, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Hi Guys,

If you read what features are available with the "lite" solution, it is no different than the AUX In offered as OEM by BMW with the exception that you can charge the ipod with the lite.

The installation pdf states that the volume and track controls are on the ipod. There is no data displayed on the idrive screen. It plugs into the AUX socket on the head unit. It looks to me that there is no real benefit going with this kit over the AUX In from BMW.

We will have to wait for the VDO solution that is out there but not yet adopted by BMW if we want all of the features to be displayed in idrive and to have the steering wheel controls. This was described in another thread about a month ago. Let me know if you want the link and I will try to dig it up.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:31 AM
Members

I just read the install instructions for the Lite interface and I'm dubious! It would appear that you unplug the back of the radio put the socket in and your I-Drive magically then comes up with an AUX input option. I thought from previous posts with the BMW solution that SW modules have to be tweaked by BMW to make the AUX option appear? Curious..we need someone to be the pilot tester here!