E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Another crazy ass sub-woofer upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thought it did , but could of been an illusion ...lol
Old 10-14-2010, 03:17 AM
Members

Nice , but came up with two thoughts to improve the installations , 1. make a 8" spacer ring and get in sanded in a angle to allow the rail more space , or if possible raise the seat rail on spacers by about 4-5mm
Old 10-14-2010, 05:26 AM
Members

nice job !
Old 10-14-2010, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

Do you guys have to take the seat off to take them subs off ?
And is there anything good subs for just stock replacement without adding aftermarket amp in ?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GhostWorks
Nice , but came up with two thoughts to improve the installations , 1. make a 8" spacer ring and get in sanded in a angle to allow the rail more space , or if possible raise the seat rail on spacers by about 4-5mm
The first idea is good. The second would be a little difficult because the front seat bolts are at an angle (towards the front), but it is something to look at. Rasing the back 1/2" (12mm) probably less would do the trick. I'll check it out.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NguyenAzn
Do you guys have to take the seat off to take them subs off ?
And is there anything good subs for just stock replacement without adding aftermarket amp in ?
Yes the seat have to come off. It's easier than it sounds. 4 plastic covers then 4 torx bolts and it's off. You don't disconnect anything. I just tilted them back and raised the front with shoe box.

Regarding your sub question - IMO, in a word...no. Earthquakes fit in the space, but without a aftermarket amp they would sound not so hot. The stock sub are a weird ohm number (I forget what) to match with the stock teeny-tiny amp. The stock amp does not have enough juice alone for the Earthquakes. IMO, it would be a waste of money.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Members

Guys looking for the spacer in picture 5, I got them from member "jtsherri" over on the e90 board. They do have to be modified a bit. For some reason the sqaure part is a little big and needs to be shaved a bit (I think the e90's sub box is a little different than ours), but other than that (as you can see in the pics) they are fine.

See the review on this thread.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

i bought the same adapter, except it wasnt made of wood, rather weak. How did you get it done in wood? where?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Victory
I don't understand what you mean by "how did I line the seat rail". The rail is attached to the seat and doesn't need to be removed or "lined up". On your other point. I don't disagree that the edge of the woofer potentially hitting something is a bad thing. Hopefully, it's only like this in my install and others will modify what I did to fit their needs and risk profile. Mind you, it only small part of the edge of the woofer. After a month, it seems to be fine; however, as you stated only time will tell.

It was a risk I was willing to take 'cause damn it sounds good!
you wrote in your picture "line rail with weatherstripping," so i'm asking how you lined the rail...on the bottom, on the side, etc.

how can others modify what you did if you said that there is no way to put the woofer into the enclosure without the bottom hitting the bottom of the enclosure? the only solution is to have the sub sticking out of the enclosure more, thus hitting the rail...

has anyone thought of just making a new enclosure altogether?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
you wrote in your picture "line rail with weatherstripping," so i'm asking how you lined the rail...on the bottom, on the side, etc.

how can others modify what you did if you said that there is no way to put the woofer into the enclosure without the bottom hitting the bottom of the enclosure? the only solution is to have the sub sticking out of the enclosure more, thus hitting the rail...

has anyone thought of just making a new enclosure altogether?
The woofer is not hitting the rail. You misread my statement. I stated the woofer is close enough for it to be a concern and MAY hit the rail upon extreme excursion. As to how I put on the foam, with the seat tilted back I simply applied
this tape this tape
to the bottom of the rail in the spot causing me concern.

Don't forget that this is the internet and I am just some dude, so take this entire thread with a grain of salt. It's just my experience. I am not a professional installer. I don't have any audio training of any sort and I don't profess to have all the answers. I'm just another car guy performing some crazy ass sub-woofer upgrade and sharing his madness.

Enter my world at your own peril...what works for me may blow your car up.

Quick Reply: Another crazy ass sub-woofer upgrade