E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Another 530xi wheel option question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 530Xi

Ok so here's what I had planned on doing... Let me know what you think. I have a 530xi. Being that I can't run the same staggered setup that the M5 currently has I was thinking of getting all four of the wheels as the 19x8.5 front wheels on the M5. Do you guys think that would work? Although they are not staggered I still think they will look great on the car. Let me know what you think. I just really want these wheels on my car. Not too much of a fan of aftermarket wheels. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-20-2010, 06:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Seems to me that you're skipping over the most important part of WHY Xi is not easy to find wheels for - which is, of course, the offset.

To answer your question is one word, NO! M5 rims will never work on an Xi - whether you go staggered or not. They will not fit, they will rub like crazy, ruin your car's handling and most likely have a very negative effect on your suspension.

Before you dive into getting rims, I strongly recommend that you learn the science first. Here are a few facts without which you simply cannot consider rims for your Xi:

1. You have to be mindful of the offsets. Even though the stock offsets on our cars are ET43 all around, you can plainly see that there is a pretty generous amount of room there, so you can go somewhat more aggressive. From the reports that I've gathered studying this subject, it appears that you can safely go as aggressive as ET30 in the front and ET32 in the rear (this is if you are going staggered, which leads to my next point...)

2. You CAN have a staggered setup on your Xi. It has been done successfully and it is not out of realm of possibility. The most important thing to remember when you are getting a staggered setup for your Xi is that the differential will sense the difference in rotations from front and rear wheels, compare the two and if fronts are spinning less than the rears, it may determine that there is a problem and basically go kaputskiy. How do you combat this? By matching the overall rolling diameters of front and rear wheels. There are online calculators that will quickly tell you the overall rolling diameter of any size tire, even compare several at once. The best setup I have found so far is 245/35/19 fronts and 285/30/19 in the back - these sizes have less than third of a millimeter difference in rolling diameters and are extremely unlikely to mess up your differential. 275/30/19 has also been done successfully in the back, but it has a slightly smaller overall diameter than the 245/35/19, so it may look a bit "off".

3. When you are going staggered and getting the 285s in the back, you have to get a more conservative offset for the rears and/or roll and/or pull your fenders. Think of it like this - looking at your stock wheels, there is some considerable space on either side of the wheel inside the well. When you're going with a larger wheel, this space will begin disappearing - you job is to make sure the wheel does not rub on either side. To save you time, I can tell you that the most aggressive setup you can realistically get away with in the back with a 285 tire on a 9.5inch wide rim is ET33 (maaaaybe ET30, but this will most likely cause rubbing and necessitate fender rolling. This is applicable to 19s, on 20s you'd have even less space, so make your own conclusions.

Be careful and don't commit your funds to anything until you really know what is what down there. If you have any more questions, I'll be more than happy to help with what I know GL
Old 02-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

I'm running 19x8.5 et45 up front and 19x10 et 38 in the rear with no rubbing on H&R springs. I would say this is as aggresive as you can go in the back, the fronts could poke out some more, thinking of getting 5mm spacers which would effectivly make it et40 in the front

FYI ET38 on a 10" rim will push the wheel out the same as et33 would on a 9.5.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

C ran ET40 with a 10mm spacer up front and ET45 with a 12mm spacer in the back on a 9.5inch wides, if I'm not mistaken. So effectively, ET30 up front and ET33 in the rear - and that is about as aggressive as you can get. Car looked sick too!
Old 02-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi

ok... do you guys know of any wheels that look remotely similar to the m5 wheels that will work on my car? what wheels do you guys know of that have been proven to work? Any OEM wheels besides the ones that our cars come with?
Old 02-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi

And it just so happens that VMR makes rims with ET35 up front (on a 8.5 inch rim), and ET33 in the rear (on a 9.5 inch rim). I'm planning on using this setup in the spring.

Still trying to decide on 710's (proven, but pretty common), and the 701's (haven't seen them on a 5 series yet).

To the OP, good luck with your search, but heed the advice of others - do your research - it's a lot of coin to end up with wheels too aggressive or not aggressive enough!

Originally Posted by v_therussian
C ran ET40 with a 10mm spacer up front and ET45 with a 12mm spacer in the back on a 9.5inch wides, if I'm not mistaken. So effectively, ET30 up front and ET33 in the rear - and that is about as aggressive as you can get. Car looked sick too!
Old 02-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Members

There are very few options with OEM wheels for the xi model.

Someone in the vendor classified section recently posted some M5 replica rims. M6 replicas have also been a popular option.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Members

If 18's will work for you, BMW offers a Style 135 in 18x8 with ET43 which I believe looks like an M5 wheel. Check out the doc I posted in the Mods section yesterday for 17 and 18" OEM wheels. There's a pic of it and the BMW P/N in there too. They aren't staggered though.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Ron ///Man
If 18's will work for you, BMW offers a Style 135 in 18x8 with ET43 which I believe looks like an M5 wheel. Check out the doc I posted in the Mods section yesterday for 17 and 18" OEM wheels. There's a pic of it and the BMW P/N in there too. They aren't staggered though.
This was from an older thread, but I'm very interested in the Style 135 M wheels, and wanted confirmation that they indeed will work on an xi. Can The Russian or anyone else with knowledge of offset comment please?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Got my answer from the BMW dealer... Style 135M will NOT work on an xi. Bummer!!

Quick Reply: Another 530xi wheel option question