E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Angel Eyes Upgrade.... Options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Angel Eyes Upgrade.... Options?

OK, i have been asking around, searching, googling, calling around and im getting a headache.
i want to upgrade my Halogen angel eyes, but dont know what route to take. NOT looking to blow a SH*T ton of money because i still have to pruchase HID's.
So, what do you all think? DIY's might be a helper. but any information would be great.
thanks,

Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Members

No matter how you slice it you're not really going to get them much brighter. You can replace the halogen insert with an LED insert but for the most part that just changes the color. I tried putting an HID bulb in there on my '06 but no go. The light ring just isn't designed for it.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:32 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Mike_K
No matter how you slice it you're not really going to get them much brighter. You can replace the halogen insert with an LED insert but for the most part that just changes the color. I tried putting an HID bulb in there on my '06 but no go. The light ring just isn't designed for it.
thanks for the info!

Also, i have seen some MOD's to some aftermarkets upgrades and was wondering if anyone has done it them selves. i would be willing to try i guess. worst i can do is buy another part...
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Judging from the bulb you seems to have LCI halogen ... unfortunately there's no clean swap upgrade for that kind of bulb ...

You have to hack it ... some member(s) has done it by cutting the front portion to retain the mounting lip and use something like MTEC v3.0 (or whatever the brightest) from pre-LCI AE for the back portion, the tricky part the combining them together.

But it'll not achieve the level of LCI Xenon AE look (the main reason I did full LCI Xenon conversion) since the AE design wasn't the same ... just don't hope it'll get to the even newer model.

Last edited by BlaSTiWi; 11-19-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually there is stuff now available that is plug and play:
BMW E60 E61 LCI Facelift 2007.07 HALOGEN ANGEL EYE EYES 6W LED HALO RINGS WHITE | eBay

I used to have it in my car and worked ok.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
BMW E60 E61 LCI Facelift 2007.07 HALOGEN ANGEL EYE EYES 6W LED HALO RINGS WHITE | eBay

That's more or less what I ended up settling with and they're just nowhere near the LCI setup unfortunately. It does look nice having the AE's white but that's about all those LEDs accomplish, is changing the color.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

As you already mentioned previously ... can't go far with pre-LCI due to the design ... but the OP has an LCI Halogen version (you can tell by the bulb kind & location) headlight in which the AE ring design has greatly improved over pre-LCI Xenon but still not as good as the LCI Xenon version which uses standard H8 bulb size.

Originally Posted by Mike_K
That's more or less what I ended up settling with and they're just nowhere near the LCI setup unfortunately. It does look nice having the AE's white but that's about all those LEDs accomplish, is changing the color.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:04 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by sd_dracula

that link, its overseas... will it work for MY car?
i have seen some parts mention, "Australia BMW's only" and so forth...
Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sports Package Nov. 2012 with 34,000 miles

I'm also looking for the upgrade for my 2005 545i and here is what I found BMW E39 E60 E61 M5 E83 Angel Eyes LED Markers White 2 x 10WATTS Real 10 Watt | eBay

I tried to contact the seller, but no respond. Either they are busy to hunt turky or they are just lame.. The LED unit looks nice though. Having big heatsink will prolong the life of LED, but not really sure if it will be very tight fit or how the installation should be.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D3aThRoW
that link, its overseas... will it work for MY car?
i have seen some parts mention, "Australia BMW's only" and so forth...
As long as the connector looks the same as yours it will work.

Quick Reply: Angel Eyes Upgrade.... Options?