E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Angel Eyes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apologize for rehashing the topic, but I just can't seem to get my brain wrapped around the angel eye issue. I have a 2004 525i (I guess that is pre-LCI--whatever that means) with xenon (at least that is what it says on the silver box at the base of the headlight). A few weeks ago I got the message "Left Front Parking Light Failure." Turns out it is one of the angel eyes that is out. I say that it is one of the lights (the outside one), because from what I am reading through these forums, it seems like one bulb lights both angel eyes on the side, so I'm not sure how on one side one light can be lit and the other is out. Anyway, I have followed a lot of the threads in here and have taken the headlight assembly out about 4 times (getting pretty good at that part) and still cannot figure out where the actual bulb is that needs to be replaced.

Or is it even a bulb (with the whole one-lit, one-not thing)?

I had picked up replacement bulbs at an auto part store--they are just your standard, push-in 5W bulbs. I don't see anywhere where they would go.

Not really looking to make major upgrades--brighter would be nice, but not really looking to spend a lot of bucks on that at this point. The main thing is I want the lights to looks balanced again (not having one ring out) and to get rid of the annoying warnings every time I turn on/off the vehicle.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Are you saying that on the left headlight unit, only one of 2 angel eyes are lit?

I have a 2006 and yes one bulb lights up both angel eye rings. I think it uses fiber optics or something to channel the light from a single source to both angel eye rings. BTW, I think the bult you got are the wrong ones.

I currently have these:
http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/5-Se...duct_info.html

However, I'm switching to MTEC ones they come in. I'll probably sell the existing one I have. They have been installed about 2.5 months with occassional night time driving.

Balbs
Old 05-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

You can get the correct replacements here: https://5series.net/forums/topic/985...vacation-sale/ FOR CHEEEAP right now from his sale.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Members

Yes, one ring lights, the other ring does not.
Confuses the bejeesus out of me because on the one that is not lit, there are no bulbs that I can see (other than the actual headlight).
Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Contributors

Here are instructions for changing the angel eye bulbs:

http://www.bimmian.com/elements/page...LHU/LHU604.pdf

Balbs
Old 05-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by balbs
Here are instructions for changing the angel eye bulbs:

http://www.bimmian.com/elements/page...LHU/LHU604.pdf

Balbs
Thanks, I had seen that on here before but...I guess the problem I am having--if it really is a problem (in looking at the document provided), is that the angel eye under the round cover works. The one under the square-ish shaped cover does not. I've been poking around under that cover to find the bad bulb. I figured that there must be 2--since one is lit and one is not.

Guess I needed to be looking under the round cover all along (right?). I'll swing through the dealer to get an OEM replacement and try to switch it out when I get home and report back with results.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Contributors

Hmmm...I'm getting confused now...maybe take a pic of which light is actually out?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Members

Sorry, no camera nearby. Best I could find is this link:

http://www.technical-illustrations.c...angel-eyes.jpg

It would be the yellow ring on the left side. The ring on the right lights up fine.
Headlights all work OK. Just that one ring.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

maybe the bulb is lighting up but is not as bright as it should be to emit light all the way through to the other ring?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Members

Maybe, I'll switch it out and that should at least determine if it is a bulb issue or something else. About to take off--will post results later or tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Angel Eyes