E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Angel eye upgrade for LCI 550

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forum,

I am looking for an angel eye upgrade for my LCI 2008 550.

I see the are a lot of previous threads on this topic, most of them old.

I know there are a lot of LED options. The water is a bit muddied here, as they all function the same, and seemingly no name brands. Some say you need to program your ECU to prevent the error codes. There are some that states there is no error codes on theirs.

Motorcepts has a unit, but it seems a lot to hook up just for an HID angle eye. I do not think a direct hook up to the battery is what i am looking for. It could open doors to other issues, such as excessive battery draws.

Can anyone suggest what ethe best option is for me?

Is programming a necessary evil of an LED Angel eye?

Much appreciated
Old 05-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

the main question is how bright you want to go? almost all LED AE set ups for the LCI e60 are not nearly as bright nor are really designed for the e 60, most are in fact e9x LED AE kits, which function slightly differently causing error codes on e60's. Yes you can get the error coded out, but the kits itself really is not that great IMO. The motorcept HID AE kit is bright, but as you said, not a true plug and play solution as you have to run wires outside of the headlight housing: battery tap and ballasts. Regarding your concern to the increase battery drain, that's not actually the case, the battery tap is actually get the correct amount of voltage to the HID kit while the ballasts will prevent error codes. When your car and headlights are shutoff, no extra power will be used. And the slight increased needed voltage needed is nothing extraordinary that will kill your battery. Recently I've read some owners with e9x models have been toying with running an HID kit, bulbs only (no ballasts and battery tap), then coding the needed voltage, so no battery tap and/or ballasts needed.

The other LED AE option would be the Orion V2 rings, but that would require you to cut open your headlights, install the rings, then reseal the headlights. Definitely the most balanced/evenly distributed kit between both inner and outter rings, but also requires the most work.

It's too bad http://www.luxangeleyes.com/ does not offer an LCI e60 kit. I've been thru a few different AE setups with my e60 and current e90, and I must say lux are the best all around ae kit, in terms of price, plug and play, and brightness. Perhaps an email from you to them wouldn't hurt, maybe you could get the ball rolling for an e60 kit.

I'm sure others will chime in here as well, GL with your decision.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
the main question is how bright you want to go? almost all LED AE set ups for the LCI e60 are not nearly as bright nor are really designed for the e 60, most are in fact e9x LED AE kits, which function slightly differently causing error codes on e60's. Yes you can get the error coded out, but the kits itself really is not that great IMO. The motorcept HID AE kit is bright, but as you said, not a true plug and play solution as you have to run wires outside of the headlight housing: battery tap and ballasts. Regarding your concern to the increase battery drain, that's not actually the case, the battery tap is actually get the correct amount of voltage to the HID kit while the ballasts will prevent error codes. When your car and headlights are shutoff, no extra power will be used. And the slight increased needed voltage needed is nothing extraordinary that will kill your battery. Recently I've read some owners with e9x models have been toying with running an HID kit, bulbs only (no ballasts and battery tap), then coding the needed voltage, so no battery tap and/or ballasts needed.

The other LED AE option would be the Orion V2 rings, but that would require you to cut open your headlights, install the rings, then reseal the headlights. Definitely the most balanced/evenly distributed kit between both inner and outter rings, but also requires the most work.

It's too bad http://www.luxangeleyes.com/ does not offer an LCI e60 kit. I've been thru a few different AE setups with my e60 and current e90, and I must say lux are the best all around ae kit, in terms of price, plug and play, and brightness. Perhaps an email from you to them wouldn't hurt, maybe you could get the ball rolling for an e60 kit.
I'm sure others will chime in here as well, GL with your decision.

Thanks for the response.

I'm just looking for the color to match the xenon bulb Nothing too bright.

So your basically saying, there is not REALLY a good option?

I've heard that you can replace the standard H8 halogen with a "hid" style halogen bulb?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Tron 550
Thanks for the response.

I'm just looking for the color to match the xenon bulb Nothing too bright.

So your basically saying, there is not REALLY a good option?

I've heard that you can replace the standard H8 halogen with a "hid" style halogen bulb?
you are reffering to halogen h8 bulbs that are "HID/Xenon style" Yes there is that option as well, in fact that is the way I went for the 3 years I had my LCI e60 and the first few months with my e90 m3. The most popular and one I used personally are GP Thunder bulbs. Not that bright in the day time, but improved from the OEM yellow color.
http://www.hid-light...alogen-bulb.htm

your choice between 7500 and 8500.