E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

angel eye bulb upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010 | 05:16 AM
Senior Members

it looks to me all these LED bulbs seem to have problems from new or even a few months down the road. im hoping these halagon ones i have ordered (10w) will do the trick with no error codes. I don't think there will be any bulbs that will give enough power so she are bright during the day. It's just one of those annoying things we're going to have to live with i suppose, unless we upgrade to xenons which is a bog expensive mod.
Old 01-18-2010 | 07:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

so those would give error codes also wow, dam
Old 01-19-2010 | 06:07 AM
Senior Members

got my new bulbs in the post today. really want to see how they compare to the LED ones. im going to fit them tonight. i'll do one headlamp of the new bulbs and leave one headlamp with the LED's i had before so i can compare the difference. post the pics up in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails angel eye bulb upgrade-img00160_20100119_1444.jpg  
Old 01-19-2010 | 09:47 AM
Senior Members

I could'nt wait around to install these bulbs so i went ahead and did it. Looks like there's still a big difference between the LED bulbs and the 12v 8w halagons. It still looks alot better then the original yellow looking bulbs though.

Right, here's a few pics of the bulbs installed.....
Attached Thumbnails angel eye bulb upgrade-angel_eye_difference_2.jpg   angel eye bulb upgrade-example.jpg  
Old 01-19-2010 | 10:48 AM
Members

Hey Johal thanks for the pics. The comparison is very helpful indeed. Just to be clear, the LEDs are the original ones that you got from http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xenon-LED-Side...item1e585c43d5 and they gave the error code. In the picutues, the LEDs look a lot whiter and brighter, is that what you also see in real too ?

From the posts above, it seems there are issues with the reliabilty and durability of LED lights. Has anyone been using the LED sidelights for many months without any issues ? I guess if most people have had problems with the LEDs lights then, the 12v 8w bulb you got there has got to be the one to go for if you are looking for the white look. And if one doesn't mind the yellow look then the bulb paulmc is using (10w) is a good one.

Johal how easy is it to change the bulbs ? I took the round caps off just to try and look at the holder but I'm not sure how the holder comes out. Do you just pull it backwards ? Once the holder is out, do you just pull the bulb out ? I'm worried I might damage it as I have never removed it before. I bet its really simple....just a bit nervous as I don't want to pull a wire out by mistake.
Old 01-19-2010 | 06:06 PM
Senior Members

Old 01-20-2010 | 04:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530dE60' post='1093545' date='Jan 19 2010, 07:48 PM
Hey Johal thanks for the pics. The comparison is very helpful indeed. Just to be clear, the LEDs are the original ones that you got from http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xenon-LED-Side...item1e585c43d5 and they gave the error code. In the picutues, the LEDs look a lot whiter and brighter, is that what you also see in real too ?

From the posts above, it seems there are issues with the reliabilty and durability of LED lights. Has anyone been using the LED sidelights for many months without any issues ? I guess if most people have had problems with the LEDs lights then, the 12v 8w bulb you got there has got to be the one to go for if you are looking for the white look. And if one doesn't mind the yellow look then the bulb paulmc is using (10w) is a good one.

Johal how easy is it to change the bulbs ? I took the round caps off just to try and look at the holder but I'm not sure how the holder comes out. Do you just pull it backwards ? Once the holder is out, do you just pull the bulb out ? I'm worried I might damage it as I have never removed it before. I bet its really simple....just a bit nervous as I don't want to pull a wire out by mistake.

ok, firstly just to confirm yes the LED's in the pic were the ones showing the error code. Its very very easy to replace these bulbs. Firstly makesure the car is turned off as the bulb heats up very quickly. After you remove the round cover cap i found it easier to get down on my knee and look upwards (towards the top part of the actual angel eye ring) looking from the front of the headlamp. Where the end of the angel meets, you will see the small bulb in its holder. Once you see this, get your hand around the back of the headlamp and locate the bulb. You will see your fingers through the front of the head lamp, which should give you much better guidance to pull on the wire holder.

Once you locate the bulb just wiggle it out of position. There are no tabs or clips so you won't break anything, you just have to literally give it a bit of a pull. After you get this out just pull the bulb out of the holder. Again there are no tabs or clips you can break so don't be scared to pull. After all it is a push in pull out bulb.

Now when you push the new xenon bulb in its the same thing. At this stage just turn your lights on so you know the bulb is working before you put everything back together. Now your ready to push the bulb holder back into place, do the same thing. Get down on ur knee and look up into the headlamp from the outside and guide the holder into the slot by pushing it back in. Put the round cap back on and your done.

Hope that helped.
Old 01-20-2010 | 10:11 AM
Senior Members

whats the brightest but guarantee no error codes?
Old 01-20-2010 | 11:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by johal' post='1093980' date='Jan 20 2010, 01:34 PM
ok, firstly just to confirm yes the LED's in the pic were the ones showing the error code. Its very very easy to replace these bulbs. Firstly makesure the car is turned off as the bulb heats up very quickly. After you remove the round cover cap i found it easier to get down on my knee and look upwards (towards the top part of the actual angel eye ring) looking from the front of the headlamp. Where the end of the angel meets, you will see the small bulb in its holder. Once you see this, get your hand around the back of the headlamp and locate the bulb. You will see your fingers through the front of the head lamp, which should give you much better guidance to pull on the wire holder.

Once you locate the bulb just wiggle it out of position. There are no tabs or clips so you won't break anything, you just have to literally give it a bit of a pull. After you get this out just pull the bulb out of the holder. Again there are no tabs or clips you can break so don't be scared to pull. After all it is a push in pull out bulb.

Now when you push the new xenon bulb in its the same thing. At this stage just turn your lights on so you know the bulb is working before you put everything back together. Now your ready to push the bulb holder back into place, do the same thing. Get down on ur knee and look up into the headlamp from the outside and guide the holder into the slot by pushing it back in. Put the round cap back on and your done.

Hope that helped.

That's very well explained. Thanks very much. I will have a go at it when I get the bulbs. Just need to decide now if its going to be the 12v 8w bulbs or the LEDs (without the error code).
Old 01-20-2010 | 12:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NguyenAzn' post='1094186' date='Jan 20 2010, 07:11 PM
whats the brightest but guarantee no error codes?

it looks to me its these at the moment. There's a lot of members who have bought these bulbs of member pinghuk. There another long thread on these and everyone on that thread has ordered these same bulbs. I think this is the safest option at the moment.

Quick Reply: angel eye bulb upgrade