E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Amp & sub installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

First of all, a big thank you to Bruce_miranda for all the pre install info.

Anyroad, thought I should share my experience.

1) Tapping into the low level input from the original small amp was a breeze
2) I suggest getting the remote 12v from the same place as 1. At first I thought my huge amp would drain the batt since the remote 12v from the original amp is on when you open the door. Car does not need to be started. But it was ok. I measured by car batt to 85% starting power (Va) left after 20 mins of listening.
3) Connecting to battery and ground is very easy since positive connector on batt has space left for more cables. Just next to the batt is a ground connection, again with space left for my cables.

But here is the catch, I drive an E60 sedan. My amp is a 4x400 or 2x1600 or mono 1x800. The latter is what I had my sub connected to. Sitting in the car I could not really feel the difference (at least not to the level that I wanted). Outside the car you could have a disco party in the street. The sub kept pumping great. However the material used to seal the trunk noise to get into the car is a job well done by BMW.
After a couple of minutes of listening outside and inside the car I came to the conclusion to unhook everything, i.e. back to normal.

The only positive from this experience is that I have more free space in my trunk:-)

Kind regards
Knubblo
Old 10-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by Knubblo' post='697015' date='Oct 19 2008, 01:41 PM
Hi,

First of all, a big thank you to Bruce_miranda for all the pre install info.

Anyroad, thought I should share my experience.

1) Tapping into the low level input from the original small amp was a breeze
2) I suggest getting the remote 12v from the same place as 1. At first I thought my huge amp would drain the batt since the remote 12v from the original amp is on when you open the door. Car does not need to be started. But it was ok. I measured by car batt to 85% starting power (Va) left after 20 mins of listening.
3) Connecting to battery and ground is very easy since positive connector on batt has space left for more cables. Just next to the batt is a ground connection, again with space left for my cables.

But here is the catch, I drive an E60 sedan. My amp is a 4x400 or 2x1600 or mono 1x800. The latter is what I had my sub connected to. Sitting in the car I could not really feel the difference (at least not to the level that I wanted). Outside the car you could have a disco party in the street. The sub kept pumping great. However the material used to seal the trunk noise to get into the car is a job well done by BMW.
After a couple of minutes of listening outside and inside the car I came to the conclusion to unhook everything, i.e. back to normal.

The only positive from this experience is that I have more free space in my trunk:-)

Kind regards
Knubblo
I had the same issue with a 540i after installing a JL Audio sub in the trunk. The sub thumped on the outside but didn't get into the passenger compartment.

I do wonder if the under-seat subs can be improved with a couple of Earthquakes and the amp in a 2 speaker config.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

Which direction is your sub firing? "Most" cars (with trunks) will sound best with the sub firing towards the rear. If you had your sub firing up or towards the front, there's your problem.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by FANTASTIC 5' post='697051' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:03 PM
Which direction is your sub firing? "Most" cars (with trunks) will sound best with the sub firing towards the rear. If you had your sub firing up or towards the front, there's your problem.
Hi,

I tried both directions before making up my mind. Actually I also tried a 2x12" sub which is mounted sideways (i.e. left and right) vs back or front. Couldn't say that there was a difference b direction either.
My previous installs have been in other cars than BMW, but still sedans and those have sounded great. I also did a simple install in my wifes Volvo station wagon and it did not require a lot of RMS to get the pumping sound in that car.

I do believe (after my soundcheck today) that the BMW sedan is very soundproof when it comes to the sealing between the trunk and the inside of the car.

As a last resort I tried the sub with my skisack open and it did quite some difference but on the other hand I cannot drive with it open. I need three seats in the back.

Kind regards
Knubblo
Old 10-20-2008, 05:19 AM
Members

My Ride: '08 535i SPORT l Deep Sea Blue l 19" AC Schnitzers Type IV Forged l GP Thunders & Hoen Fogs l SolarGuard 28%

very interesting....as i am a music/sound guy myself i looked into adding some more "bass" so im alittle discerned now.....did u consider drilling or cutting vents into the baffle below the back glass panel?? seems to me theres a reasonable space to have it act as like a "port" opening so that the thump can enter into the cabin instead of the ski hole....just a thought?!!!?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

you need to vent it in to the cabin becasue the cars are sealed so well. I did this with mine. I have a rent in the rear deck. Or is you have the ski pass fire the sub throught the ski pass.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:16 AM
Members

My Ride: '08 535i SPORT l Deep Sea Blue l 19" AC Schnitzers Type IV Forged l GP Thunders & Hoen Fogs l SolarGuard 28%

how large of a vent did u cut on the rear deck lid for the "effects" to come thru.....im considering the full length across the back window and like 2-3" opening......also, incase anybody is wondering this cut will not be seen from the interior, the opening is being made under the felt material into the metal from the trunk side so everything will still look stock & should sound amazing!!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by mag75' post='697732' date='Oct 20 2008, 08:11 AM
I also had the same problem. I had 1 10" JL W3 and the only bass that I could hear while in the cab was the real low sub-sonic frequency bass. All the high, crisp bass couldnt get passed through into the cab....so I naturally took the whole system out too.

Does anyone here know how to enhance the stock sub setup to get more bass? Sounds like this would solve a lot of people's problem.....
So far I've heard upgrading the stock amp and the 2 under seats subs with Earthquake SWS-8 speakers is a start to upgrading the stock system while still keeping the factory look.

check out the DIY section and you'll see some postings on this set up.

This will probably be one of my next mods, as Ive heard good things.

GL