E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Alufelgen

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
Cast is Cast, get forged wheels for your M5...specifically DPE's

you have all that power and all youre going to do is mess with it by adding heavy wheels
I would have to disagree with your statement. Some wheels are built with the same quality as OEM wheels. If you could afford the $4k-$5k price tag of most forged wheels then by all means go for it and they`ll be lighter, but not stronger. A certifiable wheel certified and tested at 695kg load per corner would have the same strength whether it is forged or cast. The only difference is that a forged wheel would sustain a load of 695kg while weighing 20-22lbs (stronger Al requires less metal) and a cast would require a weight of 23-28lbs.

If you would like to upgrade to a set of forged wheel stick to a one piece if you have performance in mind.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by carlitosz
I would have to disagree with your statement. Some wheels are built with the same quality as OEM wheels. If you could afford the $4k-$5k price tag of most forged wheels then by all means go for it and they`ll be lighter, but not stronger. A certifiable wheel certified and tested at 695kg load per corner would have the same strength whether it is forged or cast. The only difference is that a forged wheel would sustain a load of 695kg while weighing 20-22lbs (stronger Al requires less metal) and a cast would require a weight of 23-28lbs.

If you would like to upgrade to a set of forged wheel stick to a one piece if you have performance in mind.

true one piece is generally the best way to go but it is still a significant weight difference in rotating mass, a mere 24lbs of rotating mass is considerable against static mass of 24lbs

and how is a forged wheel not stronger than cast? Every forged wheel manufacturer out there states that a forged wheel is generally 300 times stronger than most cast wheels

are you saying that this is completely untrue?
Old 04-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
true one piece is generally the best way to go but it is still a significant weight difference in rotating mass, a mere 24lbs of rotating mass is considerable against static mass of 24lbs

and how is a forged wheel not stronger than cast? Every forged wheel manufacturer out there states that a forged wheel is generally 300 times stronger than most cast wheels

are you saying that this is completely untrue?
No. Forged wheels are not 300x stronger than Cast wheels. Forged Aluminum is about 300% (not 300x) stronger than regular Aluminum. Forged AL is also not lighter than regular Aluminum. A 2x2x2 block of Forged Aluminum would weight the same as the same size block made out of regular aluminum. Since Forged Al is stronger and denser it requires less material to achieve the same strength.

See it as five 100lbs guys pushing a car to 5mph and then the same 5 guys on steroids pushing the same car. They both will be able to push the car to 5mph, however, the guys on steroids since they are much stronger won't really need all five guys and can probably do it with only 2-3 guys. So the guys on steroids require less guys to achieve the same speed.

If, however, a forged wheel would be designed to be the same weight as a cast wheel (same design, width, offset, etc) then it would be a much stronger wheel than the cast version. But the concept of forged is not strength but weight savings.

Keep in mind by forged wheel I`m referring to ONE PIECE forged wheels and not 3PC wheels. 3PC wheels are not forged wheels.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by carlitosz
No. Forged wheels are not 300x stronger than Cast wheels. Forged Aluminum is about 300% (not 300x) stronger than regular Aluminum. Forged AL is also not lighter than regular Aluminum. A 2x2x2 block of Forged Aluminum would weight the same as the same size block made out of regular aluminum. Since Forged Al is stronger and denser it requires less material to achieve the same strength.

See it as five 100lbs guys pushing a car to 5mph and then the same 5 guys on steroids pushing the same car. They both will be able to push the car to 5mph, however, the guys on steroids since they are much stronger won't really need all five guys and can probably do it with only 2-3 guys. So the guys on steroids require less guys to achieve the same speed.

If, however, a forged wheel would be designed to be the same weight as a cast wheel (same design, width, offset, etc) then it would be a much stronger wheel than the cast version. But the concept of forged is not strength but weight savings.

Keep in mind by forged wheel I`m referring to ONE PIECE forged wheels and not 3PC wheels. 3PC wheels are not forged wheels.
WELL SAID!!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Contributors

We are not an active supporter of 5Series.net. Feel free to ask your questions directly to us and we`ll be happy to answer them for you
Old 08-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 545i '02 SC430 '04 RX330

i would agree with the recommendation of forged wheels for your M5: or for any E60 for that matter. OEM wheels are not always the best quality or even what's best for the car: otherwise the 166 wheels would be forged like the 167 wheels.

having a wheel that is 5-10 lbs lighter will make a significant improvement on the ride and performance of your car. it'll accelerate quicker, corner better and break quicker. if you are going to spend a couple of grand on new wheels/tires, might as well spend a bit more and actually get something that'll make the look, and drive, better
Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xenonrider
i would agree with the recommendation of forged wheels for your M5: or for any E60 for that matter. OEM wheels are not always the best quality or even what's best for the car: otherwise the 166 wheels would be forged like the 167 wheels.

having a wheel that is 5-10 lbs lighter will make a significant improvement on the ride and performance of your car. it'll accelerate quicker, corner better and break quicker. if you are going to spend a couple of grand on new wheels/tires, might as well spend a bit more and actually get something that'll make the look, and drive, better
I always recommend Forged wheels if the budget allows. But Forged is not always better. A "Forged" 3PC wheel doesn't mean is lighter. Many 3PC wheels are actually heavier than our 19" SF-71s. Even many 1PC Forged wheels are the same weight or heavier because they are not engineered properly.

Remember, our SF-71s are only 23bls for the 19x8.5" and 26lbs for the 19x9.5" and rated at 1600lbs per corner. They are as strong as any forged wheel of the same load rating. The different is weight. I doubt, however, the difference in weight would be 5-10lbs per wheel. With a Forged wheel the weight is about 1-2lbs less than our SF-71s. Please see the samples below. The 3PC Forged are very close to our 1PC SF-71. The 360Forged is actually heavier. The HRE is less than 1lb lighter than our SF-71 front and cost about 5x more.

I`m by no means saying our wheels are better than any of the wheels below. I`m making a point that Forged does not necessarily mean lighter or stronger. And Cast, does not necessary means heavier or weaker. Our low-pressure cast SF-71 are an excellent compromise between price, quality and performance.

19x8.5" BBS LM-R (3PC)

19x8.5" 360Forged CF5 (3PC)

19x9.0" HRE P40 (1PC)

19x8.5" Alufelgen SF-71 (1PC)
Old 08-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Sent you a PM yesterday for a quote...
Old 08-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

Now just make them in 20" for the 5 series crowd!
Old 08-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by medik13
Now just make them in 20" for the 5 series crowd!
I've seen that requires come up very often. What 20" sizes is the 5-Series crowd using? 20x8.5 and 20x10?

Quick Reply: Alufelgen