E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Alternator Noise with iPod

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 06:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Full Volume to Off = 62 detent clicks. or approx 2.25 turns of the dial.

I tried to hook up the iPod OEM dock to the Monster charger, and then used the Line Out on the dock. Alternator noise was slightly less than when plugged directly into Line Out on the Monster Charger. Certainly within a realm of acceptability for me, now.

I think that direct wired chargers would have even less alternator noise. I may decide to hard wire the thing.... especially since I just ordered a Valentine 1, so that will be taking up the front seat cigarette outlet. I'll have to use the back seat charger for the iPod.

Kyle: Where do you keep your iPod dock in your car? I like the idea of using it, but don't know where to put it. At the moment, I'm using the driver's cupholder. It sucks for holding cups, but works nicely as an iPod dock stand.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:15 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Oct 5 2005, 07:11 AM
Full Volume to Off =? 62 detent clicks.? ? or approx 2.25 turns of the dial.

I tried to hook up the iPod OEM dock to the Monster charger, and then used the Line Out on the dock.? Alternator noise was slightly less than when plugged directly into Line Out on the Monster Charger.? Certainly within a realm of acceptability for me, now.

I think that direct wired chargers would have even less alternator noise.? I may decide to hard wire the thing....? especially since I just ordered a Valentine 1, so that will be taking up the front seat cigarette outlet.? I'll have to use the back seat charger for the iPod.

Kyle:? Where do you keep your iPod dock in your car?? I like the idea of using it, but don't know where to put it.? At the moment, I'm using the driver's cupholder.? It sucks for holding cups, but works nicely as an iPod dock stand.?
[snapback]179760[/snapback]
Wow--you really do like to crank up your music!

Valentine 1 is the best--here's a great DIY from Don Juan on hardwiring it to the overhead console:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...5525&#entry5525

Here's my install including the concealed display:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...958&#entry97958
Old 10-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Members

I'm actually really proud of my install... I'll post pics tonight, but...

The doc sits on top of the ashtray. I removed all of the center console trim. There is a separate attached piece for the achtray cover and another piece that extends, but is not seen for the ashtray mount. I removed both of these pieces. So, to viualize it, it sits on TOP of the ashtray, but is set just beneath the console trim... fits perfect.

Only thing i would like to do is hardwire the charger. I connected it to the rear outlet and hid ALL the wires in under the console so the only thing you see is the moster plug... its low profile, but it could be lower... like not there at all!

Actually, my camera my be in my car... Ill try to snap some pics while Im out to lunch.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by kyle325ci' date='Oct 5 2005, 09:01 AM
I'm actually really proud of my install... I'll post pics tonight, but...

The doc sits on top of the ashtray.? I removed all of the center console trim.? There is a separate attached piece for the achtray cover and another piece that extends, but is not seen for the ashtray mount.? I removed both of these pieces.? So, to viualize it, it sits on TOP of the ashtray, but is set just beneath the console trim... fits perfect.

Only thing i would like to do is hardwire the charger.? I connected it to the rear outlet and hid ALL the wires in under the console so the only thing you see is the moster plug... its low profile, but it could be lower... like not there at all!

Actually, my camera my be in my car... Ill try to snap some pics while Im out to lunch.
[snapback]179811[/snapback]
Looking forward to pix. Hardwire the charger:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12430
Old 10-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Members

Yeah, I rpinted your DIY, but I have NEVER done anything like that. A little nervous...
Old 10-05-2005, 08:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kyle325ci' date='Oct 5 2005, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I rpinted your DIY, but I have NEVER done anything like that.? A little nervous...
[snapback]179842[/snapback]
Given the description of your install, you shouldn't be the least bit nervous.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Another option may be to buy a DC-DC power regulator that puts out a regulated 12v and hook your iPod charger up to that. This should slam the alternator noise for good. Carnetix makes some models that are targeted to the car PC market, but should work for anything.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Plugged Monster charger into the rear power outlet, and the alternator noise is even less.

Still there, but notiably less than any of the times I tried it up front.

So, that's just as well.... Valentine 1 gets the front charger socket.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Members

Thanks Stream... Im not too nervouse with removing panels, carpeting and trim, but the electric stuff (fuses and shiatt, make me weary).
Old 10-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Members

Ok fellas Im trying to post pics but they are too big I think. How can I resize them???

Quick Reply: Alternator Noise with iPod