E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Alternator Noise with iPod

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I recently had the Aux Input installed, for use with my iPod.

I purchased an iPod cradle mount which plugs into the Cigarette lighter.

DLO TransPod Direct

This cradle charges the iPod during use, and lets me use the iPod Line Output from the bottom, rather than the headphone jack on top. This bypasses the internal headphone amp of the iPod, giving better sound quality.

However, when the cradle is plugged into the cigarette lighter, I'm getting very bad alternator noise. I tried hooking up a ground loop isolator between the iPod and the AUX Input, but this did not help.

Anyone else have noise problems with their E60 and iPod? If so, did you fix it, and how?
Old 10-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Oct 1 2005, 12:09 PM
I recently had the Aux Input installed, for use with my iPod.

I purchased an iPod cradle mount which plugs into the Cigarette lighter.

DLO TransPod Direct

This cradle charges the iPod during use, and lets me use the iPod Line Output from the bottom, rather than the headphone jack on top.? This bypasses the internal headphone amp of the iPod, giving better sound quality.

However, when the cradle is plugged into the cigarette lighter, I'm getting very bad alternator noise.? I tried hooking up a ground loop isolator between the iPod and the AUX Input, but this did not help.

Anyone else have noise problems with their E60 and iPod?? If so, did you fix it, and how?
[snapback]177800[/snapback]
Most of these integrated chargers/line-out jacks are built poorly and when charging it's unavoidable that interference will be heard. I had the same problem on my Monster charger/line-out jack. It's also not true that the headphone jack gives lower sound quality than the line-out jack. At max volume, voltage out on test tones is about the same, and I noticed no clipping.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Do you know of one that is not built poorly?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Oct 2 2005, 06:02 AM
Do you know of one that is not built poorly?
[snapback]178102[/snapback]
Nope... the noise may be inherent in the design unfortunately, the pins at the bottom are very close together and it may be impossible to avoid some interference.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:50 AM
Contributors

Would tapping directly into the wires for the cigarette charger be a solution?
Old 10-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Oct 3 2005, 05:50 AM
[snapback]178463[/snapback]
Worth a shot... I suggest opening up the Monster adapter or something like it and examining how it's constructed inside. If you can reroute or replace the wires with something superior you may be able to avoid the noise.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Try fitting a ground loop isolator between the BMW Aux input connector and the audio out of the DLO transpod line out.

The noise you are hearing is most likely a difference in ground potential due to the probability that the ground points of the CCC module and your DLO iPod adapter are not from a common point. The easiest way to fix this is to insert a ground loop isolator which costs about USD 10.

The alternative is to modify the ground connections so that ALL "audio"modules are connected to the same grounding point - "star grounding", which will be difficult to do in the E60.

Hope this helps

All the Best

Hobi
Old 10-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Oct 3 2005, 07:42 PM
Try fitting a ground loop isolator between the BMW Aux input connector and the audio out of the DLO transpod line out.

The noise you are hearing is most likely a difference in ground potential due to the probability that the ground points of the CCC module and your DLO iPod adapter are not from a common point.? The easiest way to fix this is to insert a ground loop isolator which costs about USD 10.

The alternative is to modify the ground connections so that ALL "audio"modules are connected to the same grounding point - "star grounding", which will be difficult to do in the E60.

Hope this helps

All the Best

Hobi
[snapback]178792[/snapback]

I tried an isolator, two different ones in fact... to no avail.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Oct 3 2005, 05:50 AM
[snapback]178463[/snapback]
I hardwired my iPod and have excellent sound quality--here's info on my install:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12430
Old 10-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

dup post--sorry

Quick Reply: Alternator Noise with iPod