E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

All your wheels and brakes are belong to somebody else

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took my car in to have the front tires replaced, and realized I forgot my lug key. I couldn't find the lug key so I asked the shop what my options were. They told me they could break the old lugs off, so I gave them the go ahead and they went for it.

It only took them about 5 minutes to remove all four locking lugs from my car.

I'm a security guy by trade, so I am generally interested in other forms of security. I guess all tradesman have their tools, but this was a tool I was unfamiliar with. I mean, I figured it might take them a half hour and plenty of noise to get them removed, but nope. The lugs came off easily and they didn't make much noise other than the initial impact of the tool onto the lug.

Here is a photo of one of the locking lugs that I had on my car up until it was removed with the special tool. They basically just hammered a socket type deal on to the locking lug bolt and hooked a breaker bar up to it and then turned it free. You can see where the special socket bit into the sides of my locking lug nut, and that little bit of bite from the special socket was enough to pull all four of my locking bolts free within 5 minutes. Mind you that my bolts were tightened at ~85+ lb ft of torque.

All your wheels and brakes are belong to somebody else-brokenlug.jpg

Anyways, I just figured I'd share.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Yeah, there really isn't anyway to keep ppl away who really want your wheels. Maybe park on a hill?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Yeah, there really isn't anyway to keep ppl away who really want your wheels. Maybe park on a hill?
Here's a question for you. Is there one wheel lock that is significantly more difficult to break off than most other wheel locks? I'm almost thinking that the RAD lug in the photo above almost aided the removal process due to "key pattern" being on the outside of the lug- offering a good point of traction for the tool to bite to. What are your thoughts? Parking on a hill is a great starting point, haha.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla.locks

what i recommend. is it time for me to sell wheel locks?

michael
acute performance
Old 02-04-2011, 03:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Your average crackhead won't think of this, and that's who you're trying to deter. Not only that, get the bmw wheel locks and go back and have them try that trick again and see how well it works.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

It doesn't really matter which locks you have, it doesn't take much to get them off without the key. I had to have the locks on my nissan murano removed because the shop couldn't find the key and all they did was hammer a socket onto it and off it came. I thought this was kind of common knowledge. What I have found that helps prevent this is that the bmw locks just fit inside the hole on my wheels and there isn't enough room on the sides to even fit a socket on the outside, but depending on the type of wheel you have if the bmw lock lug happens to stick out or have room on the sides they can be removedd just as easy.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Spent 60 bucks on damn locks and they are basically WORTHLESS
Old 02-04-2011, 05:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by TheRacerBoss
Spent 60 bucks on damn locks and they are basically WORTHLESS
I wouldn't say they are worthless. The locks slow people down, moderately, and the thieves may move on to an easier target. However, as someone else posted, if they want your wheels then they will get them.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

What good is a socket gonna do when the outside of this is ROUND? I would like to think BMW put more thought into wheel locks. A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL can do just about anything, hell a locksmith can break into your home in minutes, does that mean your locks are worthless? It's the average theif that 99% of people are worried about and do most of the stealing. And I'd like to see one get these off as easy as you say it can be done...especially with a socket.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by mookish
What good is a socket gonna do when the outside of this is ROUND? I would like to think BMW put more thought into wheel locks. A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL can do just about anything, hell a locksmith can break into your home in minutes, does that mean your locks are worthless? It's the average theif that 99% of people are worried about and do most of the stealing. And I'd like to see one get these off as easy as you say it can be done...especially with a socket.

Well,
I have to agree that you have an argument here and then I certainly agree that the wheel locks can be taken off in about 5 minutes. I didn't put on my wheel locks every since I bought them, but makes me feel bad that I don't have a door of steel but one made of thin wood that anyone can break into in 5 minutes, if you know what I mean.

Quick Reply: All your wheels and brakes are belong to somebody else