E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ALL OUT N52 - what's the ceiling wo turbo/SC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Suppose I am not opposed to opening up that clunker and getting greasy with it, what y'all think? Can I safely run an N52B30 at about 320-330hp/~275lb ft with some better internals? What can I do to achieve more power? I have the BMC+RPI scoop on it so far, and exhaust and ecu tune would definitely be part of the tune. I'd probably bore the throttle body too and possibly put in a performance clutch (if one for the Xi exists - I was told the other day, the fylwheel is Xi-specific, for example).

Of course, there's the predominant opinion that I'm out of my friggin mind and should trade the car for a 335 lease - that is understood. Let's supposed, for our intents and purposes, this is not an option - can I get my 530Xi to run at this power output with daily driving reliability?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E-60 530I

well to start with the first thing would be a stroker kit. Lets just say after finding a forged crankshaft/pistons/rods and thousands in labor, you will have a real hard time finding a proper tune.

The best option i think would be to find a nice 550i engine and tranny ECM/Harness/etc and swapping it.

the idea of dropping an N54 would be too much of a headache and u still might run into serious issues with the engine.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Contributors

yeah... stupid thread probably... still I want to know what's possible out there.

I've only been able to find one stroker kit for the N52 - this one: http://www.noellemot...77f2dc4c.0.html

But this kit is like 10+ grand...
Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E-60 530I

Originally Posted by v_therussian
yeah... stupid thread probably... still I want to know what's possible out there.

I've only been able to find one stroker kit for the N52 - this one: http://www.noellemot...77f2dc4c.0.html

But this kit is like 10+ grand...

i have been following this one thread on e90 where a guy name GAVIN/Craven?? whatever is building a supercharger kit for n52 engine but he is been MIA for quite a while now. Last i heard was that he got into a car accident...Hope he is ok and the accident was caused by the insane supercharged power
Old 06-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Contributors

oh well... guess I'm gonna have to get rid of my sweetie to make room for some faster car soon. In the meantime, I'll probably do the ESS tune, just for sh!ts and giggles - will get me through the summer. Too bad I missed Diamond's RPI exhaust - exhaust, scoop+bmc filter, ECU tune and some love and devotion would probably get this car close to 280, which is what at the wheels? Something like 240, I'm guessing? Forget the torque - I don't even wanna talk about those puny numbers!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Maybe this is worth looking into?
RD Sport Power System

It's definitely cheaper than the $10k for the stroker you mentioned above. Just a thought....
Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 AM
Senior Members

Headers, Schrick Camshafts, Tune, Exhaust, Take the head off port it, increase valve size( stainless swirl cut), 3 angle valve job, some aftermarket custom trunnion roller rocker.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy
Headers, Schrick Camshafts, Tune, Exhaust, Take the head off port it, increase valve size( stainless swirl cut), 3 angle valve job, some aftermarket custom trunnion roller rocker.

Ok, but what about stage 2?!?!?! HA, Just kidding Adam. Yeah, Vladdy, these things can probably be done for way less than that 10k. Sometimes it's good to get everything from one maker and sometimes it's easier to piece things together yourself. You already know an "off the shelf" tune won't work if you go this route, so you know you'll need a custom tune to get results.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Ok, but what about stage 2?!?!?! HA, Just kidding Adam. Yeah, Vladdy, these things can probably be done for way less than that 10k. Sometimes it's good to get everything from one maker and sometimes it's easier to piece things together yourself. You already know an "off the shelf" tune won't work if you go this route, so you know you'll need a custom tune to get results.
Stage 2 AFE Hot Air Box and Tornado TB spacer!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by v_therussian
A stretch maybe - but I wouldn't say your idea is stupid.

Upgrading the internals is worthless until you know for certain that the block and cylinder head aren't warped.
I agree with the post above - it might be easier and cheaper to source a used motor and do a swap.

Now if the block and cylinder head are OK, I would definitely consider a rebuild with better than stock parts. The additonal cost may be worth it in terms of performance. The downside is that you would be lucky to get any of that extra money back when you sell it.

Quick Reply: ALL OUT N52 - what's the ceiling wo turbo/SC?