E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Airbox mod 2--mpg benefit

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If someone has the skills and could make aprototype and also make one for me for the idea That would be great-heck whover makes it can feel free with my blessing to market them!

The other thing as I have been reading into the art of intake design on modern engines--peak hp is pretty much never gained or effected from the airbox-so a dyno peak hp would not necessarily change-however it is the "tuned" point of the rpm band that can see a 15 percent increase in hp/torque which is not huge but if it is throughout the mid range band which is the goal, atleast in the n52 where it lacks torque and power in the low-mid range-then this would make a big improvement in performance without increasing the peak hp.. whic his why peak hp is often decieving.

Also if someone could even enlighten me on how to make a mold out of fiberglass?
Old 08-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

My only question is: What was the brand of tape you used? Any specific model # for the tape?
I think most of us could use another mpg or 2, so this seems like a great and cheap mod to get a little more efficiency - even if it doesn't produce a single HP.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Banned

The first go around I just used thick black duct tape 3m. The second go around I used the heat tape simply to add more permenent strength as it is a thicker tape and possibly some heat shielding effects.

As I forgot to note I also put sheets of folded over aluminum foild underneath the tap for additional heat reflecting capability.

IMO any mod that you can "notice" either mpg or butt dyno it is worth it-since afterall the point o fmods is to imrpove driving experience unless you are racing. To me the throttle is so much more effective--not in the sense a sprint booster makes it "touchy" but rather it seems to deliver more power than the ful throttle before this and at a faster rate. My guess is it is increasing the low end torque and hp--not effecting peak hp thus giving some gains down low but at no loss in the high range which is typical with many mods.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Banned

Alright guys my final sign in on this mod-I took out my box completely today and went at it with the final layer of The hig reflective foil tape that is rflective on both sides. I completed coated the entire box with this VERY smooth (like glass) tape that also has the big benefit of reflectin radiant heat away but also the smooth glassy surface should do the least to disrupt the air flow compared to a rougher duct tape or even the insulation tape..

My box is WAY louder at this point-I really did a good job to seal off about 1 inch around the box-ultimately changing its measurments around by an inch on each side.

I also a added a layer of duct tape all around the edges where the box's clip together to further seal the box absolutely air tight. It is loud--probalby 70 percent of the AFE open box at this point, I am pretty happy.

Happy modding!
Old 08-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Did you do the top and bottom of the box, or just the bottom?
Old 08-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pjinca
Did you do the top and bottom of the box, or just the bottom?
TOp and Bottom of course-would be useless if you dont do both IMO-I outlined it in the pictures above--it looks pretty cool actually-its all smooth silver mettalic tape all in a big funnel sloping gently from the sides to the intake hole instead of the sharp right angles and waffle baffles of the stock box
Old 08-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

is this similar to what you used?

http://www.amazon.com/Heatshield-Cool-Foil-Tape-Roll/dp/B002UPMVFK http://www.amazon.com/Heatshield-Cool-Foil-Tape-Roll/dp/B002UPMVFK
Old 08-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by danzanchy
yes exactly!