E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Air Filter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 05:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know if I can buy an air filter replacement from an auto parts store, such as R&S Strauss or Pep Boys?

As my car is an '05 530i, but I got it in 11/04, so come this 11, it will be 7 years old.

Can something as typical as the air filter be purchased from a local auto parts store?

The first few years I had the car, none of the local auto parts stores carried parts for it, none of the filters: oil, air, micro cabin or fuel.

Would they be available now, and would you recommend picking them up from a local local auto parts store?

Thx in advance for your input.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by juniorbmw
I'd like to know if I can buy an air filter replacement from an auto parts store, such as R&S Strauss or Pep Boys?
As my car is an '05 530i, but I got it in 11/04, so come this 11, it will be 7 years old.
Can something as typical as the air filter be purchased from a local auto parts store?
The first few years I had the car, none of the local auto parts stores carried parts for it, none of the filters: oil, air, micro cabin or fuel.
Would they be available now, and would you recommend picking them up from a local local auto parts store?
Thx in advance for your input.
For sure - but you may actually find a better selection of products and price from a reputable foreign parts on-line store, through a dealer with a discount program (BMWCCA/Forum), or one of the forum's vendors. Let your fingers do the walking and shop smart (the INTERNET is your friend) ... not necessary to run all over town to hunt!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Check this place out: http://www.autohausaz.com/

They are cheaper than the dealer and you can get everything sent right to your front door.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

Ordered most of my parts at theBMWpartstore. I think the air filter cost me around 25 couple months ago. I had free shipping since I ordered some other parts but the normal shipping fee is around 4.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i: Space Grey Metallic SMG Manual Transmission with Paddle Shifting Black Dakota Leather with Dark Poplar Wood Trim Sport/Premium/Cold Weather Packages Vanity Mirror/Light Steering Wheel Controls Navigation System Logic 7 Stereo + Ipod Integration Bluetooth Handsfree Integration Integrated Garage Door Opener Moonroof Power Rear Sunshade Dual-Zone Climate Control Tinted Windows Park DIstance Control Adaptive Headlights/Fog Lights Tire Pressure Monitoring System Anti-Theft System Dual Rear Cigarette Lighters K&N Air Filter (OEM Charcoal Filter Removed) Interstate MTP-49/H8 Battery Continental DWS Tires: Rear: 275/35/18 Front: 245/40/18

You can buy a cheap air filter that will fit your car at pep boys or kragen, or anywhere really. However, they are not too expensive to get a good charcoal filter from MANN, a BMW OEM supplier. This is the same company that is the OEM supplier for the nice paper oil filters you should have used for when you have your oil changed. I got mine on ebay, changed at home with one tool in about 15 minutes. The hardest part of the job is resetting the cabin air filter countdown in your system settings. I've got a good local shop that did it for me, although if you have time you can go to youtube and someone has taped the reset sequence.

http://www.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-Cabin-Air-Filter/dp/B00449SB68/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=530i|187&n=15684181& s=automotive&Make=BMW|31&Year=2005|2005&newCar=1&c arId=002

There are two basic types of filter, particulate and charcoal activated. Particulate is the cheap option that you will find @ local parts store. Charcoal activated is worth it, Mann filter above has it. It means that smells that are bad, will not reach your cabin. You need to purchase 2 filters because that's what the car takes, one for the left side, one for the right side. Good luck.