E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Again.... Passenger Airbag Malfunction Error

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

96ca is high resistance. Make sure all battery contacts are clean and tight and clear the codes. See if it comes back.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

I would like to hear the solution as well...dealing with the same problem.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Engine: n52

i wish it will be the mat senzor (06/2005 build)..but they told me is the ecu of the seat wich is like $1500(
or maybe they see my car is cover under the 10 years for the mat and they want to change something else..so i have to pay??!!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Members

Hey buddy If i recall correctly 96CA has a very high chance of it being the IBS battery cable system that needs to be bypassed or replaced if you want to spend the cash. IF you do a search on this forum for IBS bypass or Battery cable, you will find the original DIY thread. I currently have the same light but my code is 93F9, states the SGM module needs replacement, I refuse to believe that. Can anyone chime in on that please?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 06' 530xi

I have the same problem as well...06 530xi...I haven't done anything to it yet and I don't know where to start! I just know it's ANNOYING as HECK!

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:16 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 535d, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, 20" Lenso Alloys, Quad Powerflow Stainless Exhaust, Remapped

Originally Posted by bymer
Hey buddy If i recall correctly 96CA has a very high chance of it being the IBS battery cable system that needs to be bypassed or replaced if you want to spend the cash. IF you do a search on this forum for IBS bypass or Battery cable, you will find the original DIY thread. I currently have the same light but my code is 93F9, states the SGM module needs replacement, I refuse to believe that. Can anyone chime in on that please?
Yep, I have that error code too and like you I refuse to believe that I need to replace the SGM/SIM. Do you have both the Aibag and Seatbelt light on and does the really annoying "Bong" keep going until you plug the passenger seatbelt in?

I did see another thread on another forum where a new battery replacement and registration allowed the fault to be cleared permanently but I have tried that without success. I also have the seat sensor bypass fitted which hasn't worked either. Really pi**ing me off now.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mickeyboy500
Yep, I have that error code too and like you I refuse to believe that I need to replace the SGM/SIM. Do you have both the Aibag and Seatbelt light on and does the really annoying "Bong" keep going until you plug the passenger seatbelt in?

I did see another thread on another forum where a new battery replacement and registration allowed the fault to be cleared permanently but I have tried that without success. I also have the seat sensor bypass fitted which hasn't worked either. Really pi**ing me off now.
Yes I've got the red seat belt and airbag light on. I have a 2005 525i if that matters. I managed to get rid of the error for about 4 months but recently it has come back, and I reset it again, so far so good.

It first started with a simple INPA reset of error codes, it went away. Then it would keep coming back within a day or two. Then it was not clear-able, I started researching and asking for help, not much was given to me. I then went ahead and decided to reflash/update the module by using Progman with SP-Daten v 46. It would reset and come back within a week. I was going to give up.

Then I decided to
(1) reflash the SGM/SIM module again, the ACSM or the ZGM ( I cant quite recall what it was, they were together on the list). After the reset, I also decided to

(2) START SYSTEM TIME (It synchronizes all the ECU's on your car so they live together without conflict.)
I then Also went into

(3) INPA and cleared errors, info memory, and Battery Reset, and Airbag reset as well with some option, can't remember which.

(4) Replaced my battery with an exact replica from Advanced auto parts and registered it.

(5) Dissassembled the glove box, took the SGM module out, let it sit for 10 min, checked all connectors, gave it a tap or two with my hand and put it back in.

That is what made it stay off for about 3-4 months. So that PROVES that there is nothing major thats wrong with the module as it does pass the CHECK that the car does during start up. Dealer wanting to replace it for ~950$ parts and $500 Labor is bullshit. Car was never in an accident, mint condition and well taken care of.

About a week ago, it came back, but I was able to clear it with INPA and thats it. Code was 93F9 (SGM MODULE NEEDS REPLACEMENT as told by DIS)

I hope this helps Mickey and anyone else with the issue, follow these steps and it should work for you. Or if anyone cares to chime in and give any tips/solutions or point me to a DIY/website that can aid me in solving this damn issue.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 535d, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, 20" Lenso Alloys, Quad Powerflow Stainless Exhaust, Remapped

Thanks Bymer, some really useful info' there that I have not seen on any thread previously (aren't forums great). I love the "gave it a tap or two" comment.

I have never been able to clear the fault (not even temporarily) to date with INPA or DIS so will look at trying some of your other recommendations.

Much appreciated.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Members

Anyone has an update on this? Ive had the passenger restraint system malfuntion message on for months. Didnt want to change the mat but I recently bought the bypass and I hope it does the job after clearing the Error with Inpa. Just waiting for it to get here. I hate those lights on the dash!!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

Originally Posted by ldesouza
Anyone has an update on this? Ive had the passenger restraint system malfuntion message on for months. Didnt want to change the mat but I recently bought the bypass and I hope it does the job after clearing the Error with Inpa. Just waiting for it to get here. I hate those lights on the dash!!
It all depends on what error code INPA detects. I would first scan the car, get the code, and post back.

Quick Reply: Again.... Passenger Airbag Malfunction Error