E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aftermarket wheels for the e60

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 528i XDrive - Alpine White Dakota Black Leather, Premium Package, Dark Burlwood Trim, 20% tint on entire car.

Hi all I am new to this forum as of today. I recently bought a 2010 Alpine White 528i X Drive and absolutely love it. I have always been one to customize a car to the extreme in my earlier days and now I am 35 and still want to do a few things to make the car stand out just a bit from others! I have already tinted the car all the way around with 20%,which makes a huge difference in appearance of the car as it is...I was thinking of putting some custom wheels on the car and was wondering what would be a good set up in this particular model?..I really dont want to mess with the suspension of the car by lowering it or anything, but dont want a ton of space in the wheel wells either with the smaller tires and bigger wheels. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am wondering 19's 20's etc?? Dont want to affect my ride really that much if I can stray away from that. Thanks !!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

I think you have more option with the 19" rims since your ride is an Xi. Do look into getting plus size tires for the 19" since it will provide better protection for the rims and your "behind" plus it does fill up the wheel area.

GL
Old 09-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Being a newbie, do be aware that wheels that fit other non-xi E60's won't fit your car. There's also a considerable amount of debate as to whether to go staggered vs. non-staggered. (Just an FYI, BMW doesn't recommend staggering AWD cars.)

Available wheel styles vary all over the lot and what you get is largely dependent on your personal taste. I'd do a search for "xi" on the forums and see what others have that you may like. There are also a number of outstanding vendors that support this forum and they will be glad to help you out.

Welcome aboard, Calimyke!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 528i XDrive - Alpine White Dakota Black Leather, Premium Package, Dark Burlwood Trim, 20% tint on entire car.

Originally Posted by jayarras
Being a newbie, do be aware that wheels that fit other non-xi E60's won't fit your car. There's also a considerable amount of debate as to whether to go staggered vs. non-staggered. (Just an FYI, BMW doesn't recommend staggering AWD cars.)

Available wheel styles vary all over the lot and what you get is largely dependent on your personal taste. I'd do a search for "xi" on the forums and see what others have that you may like. There are also a number of outstanding vendors that support this forum and they will be glad to help you out.

Welcome aboard, Calimyke!
Thank you, appreciate the welcome! I am so excited to finally have my own BMW. It is such an awesome car.....well Im sure you already understand all that!!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Calimyke
Thank you, appreciate the welcome! I am so excited to finally have my own BMW. It is such an awesome car.....well Im sure you already understand all that!!

Now you'll need to post some pics! Also create a signature line so we know what you got!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XI white
Model Year: 2008

i have 19, on my xi

if you want light wheels and strong, get forged, but they are expensive
Aftermarket wheels for the e60-bm535.jpg
Old 09-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Sport Pkg

(Just an FYI, BMW doesn't recommend staggering AWD cars.)
Why does this myth persist in a forum where you'd think people might know what they're talking about? For the record, BMW offers AWD cars in staggered setups from the factory and has for years. (My 2008 535xi came from the factory with 18x9 rear, 18x8 front.) So OBVIOUSLY they think staggered setups on AWD cars are just fine.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray

Just FYI, X5 (AFAIK one of BMW AWD cars ) also came avail w/ staggered setup ...

[...]

(Just an FYI, BMW doesn't recommend staggering AWD cars.)

[...]
Old 09-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Aftermarket wheels for the e60-001-04.jpg

I love my BBS

I have an Xi as well, my wheels are 19x8.5" square setup with ET35 offsets all around.

Tires are Hankooks 245/35/19, but I regret not going 245/40/19 - there's plenty of room for a taller sidewall.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Calimyke
..I really dont want to mess with the suspension of the car by lowering it or anything, but dont want a ton of space in the wheel wells either with the smaller tires and bigger wheels. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am wondering 19's 20's etc?? Dont want to affect my ride really that much if I can stray away from that. Thanks !!
You can have your cake and eat it too. Go with the 19 for just enough "look" (the larger rim does look nice on the 5 series body size) but also pay attention to the rim design. Some 19's "look bigger than others.

For example this oem bmw wheel is 19" but has the interior surface just flow right out to the rim edge, making it look bigger:

Next, you can fill the fender gap AND retain ride quality AND margin of safety from road hazards all without lowering the car by simply increasing the tire size just a bit, like by one step. With an oem size being 245/40x18, I opted for a 1" larger tire which is a 245/45x18. It is important to not go wider than ideal for the rim or you will very adversely degrade the handling and safety. (meaning, a 255 is not appropriate for an 8" rim width but 245 is perfect) I am using the same size tire in both of the shots bellow, however the dark grey wheels are 8.5" which only helps keep the tire solid and with the least amount of lateral deformation in cornering. The silver wheel is the oem 8".

Note the front fender - nice tight gap, which is nearly equal all the way around, not tight on top and then still gaping at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.

Then, my summer wheels, 8.5" x18 using same size tire but in Bridgestone 960 AS Pole Position. Again, snug enough front and rear, concentrically, while maintaining ride quality, more durability, and for me, the desirable added bonus of 1/2" higher ground clearance for rougher roads. Compared to people who lower their cars, which looks cool, I have over 1.5" more clearance and take my car up forest service roads with no worries.

This might show the gap better:

I like to be able to seriously haul ass and not worry so much about what might appear in the road and this is safer for turtles too, they just sit still and I pass right over

Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheels for the e60