E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aftermarket system

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by dt5er' post='382612' date='Jan 24 2007, 02:41 AM
i think you guy's are making this more complicated than it needs to be.

you can build a very good, complete audio system with the interface of an Audiocontrol LC8. We do it all day long to new BMW, Bentley, Mercedes, Audi, Rover, Porsche and anything fiber optic. The only reason you would need the VHub Pro, is if you wanted to bring in Full-speed Ipod capabilities, Nav, cd changer, sat radio, blue tooth( horrible design but new version is in the works), etc.

And to view and control all the information can come from a few different ideas we've used:
1) If you want to view and control all your sources on the Idrive screen, than you'll need the NavTv interface (it's just the brand we've had good luck with), but you'll need to switch to aux1 or aux2 to view. then you control everthing with the Vhub.

2) replaced the rear view mirror with a mirror that comes equipped with 3.5 - 4" screen built in and then input source and controled the same way as we above example.

3) something we haven't done in the BMW's, due to available space and visually tasteful intergration, is install a seperate touchscreen monitor. we've done alot of these in X3 and Rover LR3

With the emergence of the new Alpine PDX digital ampifiers, we very rarley use anything else, because of the reliability, power output, and size. Last year Alpine consisted of 20% of our amp sales and this year they're 80% with 0% defect rate. We've always used JL Audio, Extant, Boston and Focal. It's funny, because this year at CES you can tell everybody is scrambling to build a product to compete. By the looks of it though, JL will have something by the end of the year.

As far as speakers go, we've been using alot of Focal. unfortunantly when utilizing the factory locations in E60, E39, E65, you can't install the Berylliums or the K2P series components due to depth. If i remember correctly we've used the Polyglass or the Slims guarenteed. If you have the Logic7 system with the factory sub under the seat; we've found that just adding more power (Alpine PDX 2.150) makes that woofer respond alot better and adds the mid bass your lacking by not being able to do bigger/ better components.
For us ( www.benchkmarkmotoring.com ) it's all about factory intergration without compromisng vehicle integrity..period..that's means NO cutting, NO drilling of any part of the sheet metal, which means we install everthing to factory locations by means of custom brackets. Everything we do can be taken out and returned 100% to stock.

FYI: one of the other client advisors interfaced a ZUNE and a NavTv interface into an E60 M5 and it turned out incredible.

So the underseat woofers serve well as midbass drivers, when upgraded with aftermarket amplifier power?

If so, then perhaps a good route would be to install ImageDynamics CD2-Comp horns under the dash, and then disconnect power from all the factory stereo speakers. Then use aftermarket amps to power the horns and underseat woofers. Then add subwoofers to the trunk. With this method you don't cut or even remove ANY factory audio components, and you still benefit from using high-end gear. You aren't limited by the depth of the door speaker locations, either. I had horns in my old Acura, and they were by far the best sounding speakers I've ever used. (Even better than the Dynaudios I had in my Lexus after that) And since they hang below the dash, they are simple to install and you don't damage any of the car's interior panels.

Here is the question I want answered, though:

Right now I am using an iPod, purely for the convenience of not having a 300+ CD Wallet in the car all the time. I hate using compressed audio formats, however. So an 80 gig iPod just isn't anywhere close to enough hard drive space for my music to be stored as WAV files. Does anyone make an in-car harddrive based audio source unit which can hold a large amount of data? Like 500 gigs? I don't care if the thing is portable like an iPod. I just want a huge amount of data capacity so I can store all my music in WAV format.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 X6 xDrive 3.5

Originally Posted by dt5er' post='382622' date='Jan 24 2007, 03:15 AM
If you're using an Alpine DVD head unit, there would be no need for the Navtv interface.
I want to add an extra Alpine DVD/Nav deck right below the stock CD player. I can get a custom made frame to house the new deck. But the problem is, all the audio componets on the car are in fibre optic, then how the hell can I connect the audio output from the new deck to the car?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by dt5er' post='382612' date='Jan 24 2007, 02:41 AM
i think you guy's are making this more complicated than it needs to be.

you can build a very good, complete audio system with the interface of an Audiocontrol LC8. We do it all day long to new BMW, Bentley, Mercedes, Audi, Rover, Porsche and anything fiber optic. The only reason you would need the VHub Pro, is if you wanted to bring in Full-speed Ipod capabilities, Nav, cd changer, sat radio, blue tooth( horrible design but new version is in the works), etc.

And to view and control all the information can come from a few different ideas we've used:
1) If you want to view and control all your sources on the Idrive screen, than you'll need the NavTv interface (it's just the brand we've had good luck with), but you'll need to switch to aux1 or aux2 to view. then you control everthing with the Vhub.

2) replaced the rear view mirror with a mirror that comes equipped with 3.5 - 4" screen built in and then input source and controled the same way as we above example.

3) something we haven't done in the BMW's, due to available space and visually tasteful intergration, is install a seperate touchscreen monitor. we've done alot of these in X3 and Rover LR3

With the emergence of the new Alpine PDX digital ampifiers, we very rarley use anything else, because of the reliability, power output, and size. Last year Alpine consisted of 20% of our amp sales and this year they're 80% with 0% defect rate. We've always used JL Audio, Extant, Boston and Focal. It's funny, because this year at CES you can tell everybody is scrambling to build a product to compete. By the looks of it though, JL will have something by the end of the year.

As far as speakers go, we've been using alot of Focal. unfortunantly when utilizing the factory locations in E60, E39, E65, you can't install the Berylliums or the K2P series components due to depth. If i remember correctly we've used the Polyglass or the Slims guarenteed. If you have the Logic7 system with the factory sub under the seat; we've found that just adding more power (Alpine PDX 2.150) makes that woofer respond alot better and adds the mid bass your lacking by not being able to do bigger/ better components.
For us ( www.benchkmarkmotoring.com ) it's all about factory intergration without compromisng vehicle integrity..period..that's means NO cutting, NO drilling of any part of the sheet metal, which means we install everthing to factory locations by means of custom brackets. Everything we do can be taken out and returned 100% to stock.

FYI: one of the other client advisors interfaced a ZUNE and a NavTv interface into an E60 M5 and it turned out incredible.

Thanks for your input.. i have couple of things to add..to do what im doing is very expensive. i went this way routr with the hub because i had over $5000 in alpine components from my previous car. and i was trying to see what units i could keep..i have a nve-872a navigation system that i bought online last year for $1200. the alpine processor pxa-h701 for $400. alpine cd changer for $200, alpine dvd changer for $400, 2 alpine pdx amps for $800 and the iva-d310 multimedia dvd reciever for $1100, and other alpine boxes. im using everything except the dvd reciever. i really wanted to have a system close to what i had in my previous car without modifying the dash. mission accomplish.

If you looking into this u u will need the audioconrol lc8 for about 150$, the hub cost me $400, my nav-tv box $700 although i think i paid too much..u can get it for less than that if you shop around. i also had to buy a alpine speed pulse generator for $200 to the alpine navigation. front and rear focal speakers for about $700.
the k2p 4" fits in the E60, and the sound great. now i need to find a shop to make me a nice subwoofer box for the 2 jl audio subs i have..but im thinking of selling it and just putting one 13 jl sub.

i will post some pics by this weekend. the car is in the dealer for service.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bambi' post='382849' date='Jan 24 2007, 10:59 AM
I want to add an extra Alpine DVD/Nav deck right below the stock CD player. I can get a custom made frame to house the new deck. But the problem is, all the audio componets on the car are in fibre optic, then how the hell can I connect the audio output from the new deck to the car?
if you really want to add a DVD headunit, then the easiest way i can think of without replacing the speakers and adding power is running the audio through the aux-in and utilize your deck power. you'll just have to switch to aux on your Idrive.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='382731' date='Jan 24 2007, 07:32 AM
So the underseat woofers serve well as midbass drivers, when upgraded with aftermarket amplifier power?

If so, then perhaps a good route would be to install ImageDynamics CD2-Comp horns under the dash, and then disconnect power from all the factory stereo speakers. Then use aftermarket amps to power the horns and underseat woofers. Then add subwoofers to the trunk. With this method you don't cut or even remove ANY factory audio components, and you still benefit from using high-end gear. You aren't limited by the depth of the door speaker locations, either. I had horns in my old Acura, and they were by far the best sounding speakers I've ever used. (Even better than the Dynaudios I had in my Lexus after that) And since they hang below the dash, they are simple to install and you don't damage any of the car's interior panels.
Here is the question I want answered, though:

Right now I am using an iPod, purely for the convenience of not having a 300+ CD Wallet in the car all the time. I hate using compressed audio formats, however. So an 80 gig iPod just isn't anywhere close to enough hard drive space for my music to be stored as WAV files. Does anyone make an in-car harddrive based audio source unit which can hold a large amount of data? Like 500 gigs? I don't care if the thing is portable like an iPod. I just want a huge amount of data capacity so I can store all my music in WAV format.

we get asked that question every once in awhile, but i persoanlly haven't seen anything nor have i explored it too much, because most people are pretty satisfied with 30-60 gigs of music/video. You could always download it in lostless format and buy 2 Ipods. How much music do need in one sitting or 50 sittings?

We also build all the demo vehicles for Microsoft Windows Automotive Division and their working on some crazy stuff that's not available. believe me it's pretty amazing. In short if this tells you anything; currently they have already teamed up with Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, and a few others to develop the Windows based software in all their nav systems and in-car PC touchscreen head units. When we built last years CES cars for the their booth, we got familiar with stuff that's not available yet. I can't remember how big the hardrives were though.....It's coming!!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dt5er' post='383116' date='Jan 25 2007, 01:27 AM
if you really want to add a DVD headunit, then the easiest way i can think of without replacing the speakers and adding power is running the audio through the aux-in and utilize your deck power. you'll just have to switch to aux on your Idrive.
That's exactly what I'm planning to do. But I wonder if the sound quality will be the same DVD quality or will it be not as good as described by some other members here. Lets say if I'm playing a concert DVD, will I still get a good surround sound with my Logic7 system from the Aux-In?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bambi' post='383126' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:13 PM
That's exactly what I'm planning to do. But I wonder if the sound quality will be the same DVD quality or will it be not as good as described by some other members here. Lets say if I'm playing a concert DVD, will I still get a good surround sound with my Logic7 system from the Aux-In?

i think you'll defintly loose something in the interfacing.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Members

[quote name='Bambi' date='Jan 24 20
Old 01-25-2007, 02:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dt5er' post='383128' date='Jan 25 2007, 02:17 AM
i think you'll defintly loose something in the interfacing.
What extent are we talking here? Really bad, bad, or acceptable?
Old 01-25-2007, 03:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by Bambi' post='383126' date='Jan 25 2007, 02:13 AM

The primary benefit of DVD-audio is that it is recorded in 7.1 discrete channels.

This is different than stereo recordings which are recorded only in 2 channels.

The Logic7 system is not a true multi-channel audio system, in the sense that it doesn't accept discrete multi-channel recordings like DVD-audio. Instead, Logic7 behaves more like the old Dolby Surround Pro-Logic systems. With the old Dolby systems, the processors took a stereo source and used frequency analysis to steer certain bands of frequencies to different speakers.

The ranges normally found in spoken vocals were directed towards the front center channel, while the rest would be played in stereo between the front left and right channels. The rear channels were actually monoaural in the early Dolby systems.

Logic7 is quite similar. The system uses a center channel speaker, but since the system doesn't accept discrete multi-channel recordings... it basically has to guess which sounds to direct where. It does a pretty good job, considering the limitations of this type of processing. But the limitations are quite evident.

The AUX input is a simple, stereo input. Therefore, any discrete multi-channel recording you fed into it would be converted into a stereo source.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket system