E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aftermarket system

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 04:30 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='382089' date='Jan 23 2007, 07:20 AM
Alpine gear is among the better brands for source equipment in the car audio industry.

Without a doubt, Alpine has the best navigation system of anyone. Their CD changers were always top notch, too.... small and very quick to change discs.
As far as sound quality is concerned, I have always preferred Eclipse CD players. There was a very old, classic model Alpine headunit which had dual Burr-Brown DA converters... and this was always considered the best car audio headunit ever built.
Anyway, the reason I have not yet done a stereo system in my E60 is because of the following:

I have done many high-end car stereos in the past. Ranging in price from about $3,500 for my first one, to about $20,000 for the one in my Lexus before I got the E60. My general rule about audio is simple..... a chain is only as strong as the weakest link. That means when I do a system, EVERYTHING must go. Speakers, amps, source units, even the wiring. In my Acura and Lexus I even went so far as to replace the car batteries and alternators. All or nothing for me. There is no compromise.

In previous cars, this wasn't a big deal. For example, my Acura Legend is known to be among the very best cars ever built for aftermarket audio. Hondas in general were always great. They are simple to take apart and reassemble. They used standard DIN style radios, which were easy to remove and replace. The Legend had excellent acoustics for the interior.

In my Lexus, things were more difficult. Lexus placed the A/C controls and the radio controls in the same unit. So I could not remove the radio without losing A/C controls. So in order to install my system in that car, I had to work around the factory system. I removed the OEM center console, and we constructed a custom console from fiberglass. In that new console, we installed an Alpine Navigation headunit, a Precision Power preamp/parametric EQ and a 6 disc changer. I left the factory stereo intact. We didn't even touch it. So I had 2 separate, working stereos in that car. Not an ideal situation, but it worked.

Now I have the E60, and with the iDrive.... electronics integration has taken on a whole new meaning. There is no way that I see to remove the radio safely in our E60. I dread to think what might happen to the iDrive. And in this car, building a replacement console is not as easy. (My lexus was an SUV) In addition, the BMW factory speakers are small. If you want really good replacements, you'll have to cut. I don't want to alter this vehicle in such a way because I want to keep the resale value up. The factory speaker locations are also HORRIBLE. So I wouldn't want to use them, anyway. So, when I purchased the E60... I decided I wouldn't do a stereo. It's just too risky.
This Alpine hub system sounds interesting, however. It gives you a simple way to add aftermarket source units without disrupting the factory components.

The whole point of the Alpine hub is that it gives you a single controller which can operate a whole host of Alpine devices. Navigation, CD changers, iPod, etc... You can hook up anything that Alpine makes, basically. But you get a controller with it which will operate everything, just like a normal Alpine headunit will. But this Hub is not a "headunit" in that it is stealth mounted. So you don't have to remove the dash radio.

The Navwith TV adapter is simply one way you can get a visual display to use with the Alpine Hub. You could just buy an Alpine video unit, but this would require custom installation. With the NavTV, you can view the Alpine controls on the iDrive screen. And then you control the Alpine gear with a simple controller, almost like the iDrive controller.
If you just used the NavTV and hooked up this Alpine gear directly, you would not have the controller. Instead you would have to use controls on the Alpine gear directly, or use the remote controler if they have them.
i look at it like a headunit..it has a built in 4 channel amp and also am/fm radio.one of the things i like the most is that i can also hook up my alpine processor pxa-h701..is one of the best out there. from here im going to hook up my alpine amps..
Old 01-23-2007, 06:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nelson29' post='382106' date='Jan 23 2007, 09:25 PM
you dont need the audio switch. the hub is connect thru your front speakers output.
How to switch from stock source (CD, radio) to the other soruces (DVD, etc)?
Have you added Tweeters as well?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by shield' post='382141' date='Jan 23 2007, 10:23 AM
i have.
How to switch from stock source (CD, radio) to the other soruces (DVD, etc)?
Have you added Tweeters as well?
you switch it from the hub remote..on the hub source menu you have the option of factory system, ipod, navigation etc..when u select factory system you can control the factory cd and radio and control it from your idrive menu.i change all the speaker to focal componet seakers and gonna run it with an apine amp that.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

pics please.....need pics.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nelson29' post='382231' date='Jan 24 2007, 02:17 AM
you switch it from the hub remote..on the hub source menu you have the option of factory system, ipod, navigation etc..when u select factory system you can control the factory cd and radio and control it from your idrive menu.i change all the speaker to focal componet seakers and gonna run it with an apine amp that.
How about the the idrive screen, how do you switch between idrive screen and hub screen.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by shield' post='382467' date='Jan 23 2007, 09:04 PM
How about the the idrive screen, how do you switch between idrive screen and hub screen.
u have to use the navtv remote control to switch from the idrive menu to other source..example video 1, video 2, video 3..the hub is connected to video 1.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

this is interesting
Old 01-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Members

i think you guy's are making this more complicated than it needs to be.

you can build a very good, complete audio system with the interface of an Audiocontrol LC8. We do it all day long to new BMW, Bentley, Mercedes, Audi, Rover, Porsche and anything fiber optic. The only reason you would need the VHub Pro, is if you wanted to bring in Full-speed Ipod capabilities, Nav, cd changer, sat radio, blue tooth( horrible design but new version is in the works), etc.

And to view and control all the information can come from a few different ideas we've used:
1) If you want to view and control all your sources on the Idrive screen, than you'll need the NavTv interface (it's just the brand we've had good luck with), but you'll need to switch to aux1 or aux2 to view. then you control everthing with the Vhub.

2) replaced the rear view mirror with a mirror that comes equipped with 3.5 - 4" screen built in and then input source and controled the same way as we above example.

3) something we haven't done in the BMW's, due to available space and visually tasteful intergration, is install a seperate touchscreen monitor. we've done alot of these in X3 and Rover LR3

With the emergence of the new Alpine PDX digital ampifiers, we very rarley use anything else, because of the reliability, power output, and size. Last year Alpine consisted of 20% of our amp sales and this year they're 80% with 0% defect rate. We've always used JL Audio, Extant, Boston and Focal. It's funny, because this year at CES you can tell everybody is scrambling to build a product to compete. By the looks of it though, JL will have something by the end of the year.

As far as speakers go, we've been using alot of Focal. unfortunantly when utilizing the factory locations in E60, E39, E65, you can't install the Berylliums or the K2P series components due to depth. If i remember correctly we've used the Polyglass or the Slims guarenteed. If you have the Logic7 system with the factory sub under the seat; we've found that just adding more power (Alpine PDX 2.150) makes that woofer respond alot better and adds the mid bass your lacking by not being able to do bigger/ better components.
For us ( www.benchkmarkmotoring.com ) it's all about factory intergration without compromisng vehicle integrity..period..that's means NO cutting, NO drilling of any part of the sheet metal, which means we install everthing to factory locations by means of custom brackets. Everything we do can be taken out and returned 100% to stock.

FYI: one of the other client advisors interfaced a ZUNE and a NavTv interface into an E60 M5 and it turned out incredible.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 X6 xDrive 3.5

Lets say if you are watching the DVD on an Alpine head unit, can the audio be output from the stock speakers? And if it does, when the phone ring, can I still use the Bluetooth to answer calls without switching between the NavTV and the Idrive?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bambi' post='382615' date='Jan 23 2007, 11:51 PM
Lets say if you are watching the DVD on an Alpine head unit, can the audio be output from the stock speakers? And if it does, when the phone ring, can I still use the Bluetooth to answer calls without switching between the NavTV and the Idrive?
If you're using an Alpine DVD head unit, there would be no need for the Navtv interface.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket system