E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aftermarket Sirius or XM

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 06:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone has had an aftermarket satellite radio receiver installed in their car? XM has a receiver that has a built in FM modulator, but you still need to install the antenna somewhere (I would think the trunklid is the only place where it'd look reasonable) and then run the wire to the Roady controller. I guess alternatively a separate FM modulator could be installed for better reception.

I was just wondering if anyone has done this (particularly if it was a DIY) and how much they ended up paying for the install.

My guess this would be cheaper than dealer installed Sirius and can be reused later. IDrive integration would be nice, but not all that important.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-12-2004, 06:35 AM
sj3
Senior Members

Haven't put this in my baby yet, but I'm salivating over it. I vote for Sirius because of their deal with the NFL. All the Sunday games are broadcast, which I think is cool. There is an install coupon available at RS which makes a best-buy install $49, I think. Plus I think it's cool that they have an all-Elvis channel. Not sure if XM carries that. The Sirius car kit DOES come with an FM sender so XM doesn't have an exclusive on it. Sirius receiver $99; car kit, including antenna and FM sender, $49.

Sam
Old 08-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Contributors

I spoke with a shop in Morristown that claims to install these for Morristown BMW. The have a unit that they claim connects into the fiber optic bus (MOST?) for a direct connection from the FM modulator to the antenna. Anyone heard anything like this? They charge $100 for the unit and $85 to install the sat. antenna on the trunklid and run the wires.

Anyone have any idea what they are talking about? I'm a bit hesitant to have something connected to the fiber optic bus that I don't know about.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm still crossing my fingers for a retrofit in the fall. If that doesn't pan out, aftermarket here I come!
Old 08-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I just left the dealer getting some warrenty work done and i saw a brochure, that had a five series without navigation price was 365.oo plus one hr labor. It did not say anything about prewireing i have to go back next week for some more warrenty work fabric comming off of the front window panels and bubbling up on headliner.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I've gotten the same quote from my dealer ($350 + 1 hr labor) and he asked about the pre-wiring. I have it so he quote me this price. I would have to assume that if you didn't get the pre-wiring, it would be more to run the wires to the shark fin antenna etc.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

I have the factory Sirius... and I have to say... I love it! Can't wait for Football season!!! Guess I'll have to make excuses to drive on Sunday.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:29 PM
sj3
Senior Members

Although driving would be great, I would go as far as to go out and just sit in my beautiful car and listen to my games!! Of course, that's only if my NFL Sunday Ticket on Directv goes out!

I'm with Rudy; I'd love a retrofit. iDrive integration would be sweet. I don't think I'm pre-wired though. I hope they can still do it. Unfortunately, it's not a good time to talk to dealers about this right now as they are swamped with DME work and calls from Iceman about the airbags!.

Sam
Old 08-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I'm with you Sam, staying away for a while, but I'm dying to get the Sirius (prewired, no NAV), just haven't pulled the trigger. And Sam, haven't heard from you in a while, how goes kicking the habit? Still hanging in there I hope!
Old 08-13-2004, 05:32 AM
sj3
Senior Members

ks: Thanks for asking. Still hanging in there at approx 3wks+ w/no cigarettes. I'm kind of dreaming of a Cuban Cohiba though! I'm lucky that I can't get them.

Sam

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Sirius or XM