E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aftermarket HIDs for Halogen owners?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought some upgraded bulbs for my halogen setup but after seeing some aftermarket hid's put on them I want to get myself a pair.

For the owners that already have aftermarket hid's on a halogen setup. What is the best brand out there and which ones do you recommend? Do you get any error messages or issues while running the aftermarket hid's? I purchased an extended warranty and really afraid this might effect my warranty but at the same time I really hate my halogens.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vdze23' post='723818' date='Nov 18 2008, 12:31 AM
I bought some upgraded bulbs for my halogen setup but after seeing some aftermarket hid's put on them I want to get myself a pair.

For the owners that already have aftermarket hid's on a halogen setup. What is the best brand out there and which ones do you recommend? Do you get any error messages or issues while running the aftermarket hid's? I purchased an extended warranty and really afraid this might effect my warranty but at the same time I really hate my halogens.

contact elite motorsport - he is a member on this forum. He has great products that dont have any error messages, best customer support.

Dont worry about your warranty, the lights wont have any error messages so the dealership will have no clue.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Members

I can't say one brand is better than the other because there is no offcial comparison of aftermarket HID kits.
Best product to me is the one that doesn't give warning light, doesn't blind everybody, last long time (hopely longer than the car), and produce the exact color out put as described on manual.

I installed 6000k supernova xenon purchased from elite_motorsport for my 525i with halogen.
No warning light.
Doesn't blind other drivers, I drew some lines on the wall to compare the light cut off line with my halogen and they were almost identical. (off by .5 inch at the most)
Some people told me that installing xenon in halogen housing will cause the beam to flash everywhere and blind everybody. Not true, at least not for e60.
6000k is frost white (slight sign of blue).
5000k is pure white (no sign of blue).
4300k is yellow white (stock HID).
The car looks fabulous with HID compare to halogen. I will take some pics and post here later.

Installation was not easy. At least it wasn't easy for me.
If you're a handy guy, go for it. If not, I strongly recommend taking it to a shop if you know a good place.
I am sure dealership will say installing aftermarket HID will effect your warranty, but you should find out exactly how it will interfere with your extended warranty.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

Originally Posted by soliterry' post='724197' date='Nov 18 2008, 08:47 PM
I can't say one brand is better than the other because there is no offcial comparison of aftermarket HID kits.
Best product to me is the one that doesn't give warning light, doesn't blind everybody, last long time (hopely longer than the car), and produce the exact color out put as described on manual.

I installed 6000k supernova xenon purchased from elite_motorsport for my 525i with halogen.
No warning light.
Doesn't blind other drivers, I drew some lines on the wall to compare the light cut off line with my halogen and they were almost identical. (off by .5 inch at the most)
Some people told me that installing xenon in halogen housing will cause the beam to flash everywhere and blind everybody. Not true, at least not for e60.
The car looks fabulous with HID compare to halogen. I will take some pics and post here later.

If you're a handy guy, go for it. If not, I strongly recommend taking it to a shop if you know a good place.
I am sure dealership will say installing aftermarket HID will effect your warranty, but you should find out exactly how it will interfere with your extended warranty.
Do you have PDC? Is PDC ok when xenon lights are on?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 520D M Sport 06 | Media Package | Privacy Glass | Wheels: BMW 19" OEM Wheels Style 172 | Halogen to OEM Xenon Headlight Retrofit 6k | Rdash AE's and 6k HID Fogs.

Originally Posted by soliterry' post='724197' date='Nov 18 2008, 06:47 PM

No warning light.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Contributors

I just installed 7000K LED angel eyes. However, I notice that now I have a hard time getting my FM stations to come in clear. Is this a known issue? My car is a 2004 530I with Xenon headlights. I'm really confused as to why this would happen. Maybe its just my mind playing tricks. The weather is shitty and negative 4 with a windchill of negative 40 here in Chicago.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Contributors

we like the supernova kit, we are happy with the product.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

I sent you a PM regarding the HID conversions.

Some pix from Senza007's car:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=66448&hl=
Old 05-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Contributors

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=77045 not sure if it's ok to plug our stuff, but here goes.