E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

aftermarket head unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone put in a aftermarket indash flip out w/ dvd navigation and all??? if so got any picks and care to share if got any problems
Old 10-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

Hi,

and where in the dash would u like to insert it?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

im planning to take out the cd player under the ac unit and mount it there
Old 03-07-2007, 02:06 AM
Members

My Ride: e60 titanium silver with cool day running halos and blue footwell tubes also puddles lights spots under car

Originally Posted by Black525i' post='348622' date='Oct 25 2006, 05:44 AM
has anyone put in a aftermarket indash flip out w/ dvd navigation and all??? if so got any picks and care to share if got any problems
HAVE YOU FOUND THE ANSWER YET AS I WANT TO DO THE SAME LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS YOU FIND OUT

THANKS
Old 03-07-2007, 02:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mannycoupe' post='399529' date='Mar 7 2007, 06:06 AM
HAVE YOU FOUND THE ANSWER YET AS I WANT TO DO THE SAME LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS YOU FIND OUT

THANKS

i beleive you cant remove the cd unit, all the computer idrive controls are integrated together, you would have to do an install below the CD player and its a very tight spot but it can be done, i have seen it i will be working on mine eventually its a project folks no doubt and if you have a shop do it for you, it will be costly.

rj
Old 03-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 X6 xDrive 3.5

I have been thinking to do that with a DVD/Navi deck too. But all the shops I went to told me that it's not possible due to all audio componet are with fibre optics. And if you are really going to change, that will void the waranty of the electronic componet.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bambi' post='399740' date='Mar 7 2007, 02:11 PM
I have been thinking to do that with a DVD/Navi deck too. But all the shops I went to told me that it's not possible due to all audio componet are with fibre optics. And if you are really going to change, that will void the waranty of the electronic componet.

Not many people or installers are very familiar with BMW very few want to touch it because its very tricky and they can make a mistake that can cost their shop thousands of dollars to fix, i have found a very neat solution in trying to integrate a really nice system in my car, you can go with a 3sixty OEM integration component from Fosgate, although it uses a Palm pilot for programming i hear its an amazing piece, in many cases less expensive than the alpine pro hub which does the same but it requires a Navtuner so you can access the factory screen. with the 3sixty is purely sound and you will only be able to program it with a palm pilot and not see any ipod menus in your idrive screen, since i didn't order navigation on my vehicle i will have 2 systems. I will purchase a Fosgate 3sixty to integrate the stereo system amps components and EQ and buy an Alpine TME m740 touch screen and will do a custom install below the CD player, this can be done this unit has built in Bluetooth capabilities and ipod accessibility as well. Thats the most cost effective way. If you were to buy the Alpine pro hub, you will spend more money and on top you have no equalization and you will have to buy an additional nav tuner at a price of about 500 bucks. I will fiberglass a mold and do a custom flush mount on the screen. This might take time to do but im sure it will look super clean.

So to answer your questions it can be done i went to a shop where a 7 series had been done and it sounded wonderful.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 X6 xDrive 3.5

I've thought about a simple solution as well. Tell me if that will work.

The new DVD/Navi deck can go underneath the existing CD deck (in the opening area). The video output will of course be on the deck but the audio can actually be connected to the AUX input. So when you want to play a DVD then just switch the unit on and use the AUX mode in the iDrive. All you need to find out is to get a power supply for the new head unit.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2312439

His screen name is Merzbow and I've seen his car in person!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='399785' date='Mar 7 2007, 03:41 PM
See here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2312439

His screen name is Merzbow and I've seen his car in person!

Thats something similar to what im going to do but i do want a more stock look thats why im integrated fosgate 3sixty and adding a touchscreen with a mold made out of fiberglass the ice set up in the trunk will be custom so i wont lose the tire just raise the foundation.

merzows car is amazing though tough job to do in a bimmer

Quick Reply: aftermarket head unit