E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aftermarket DVD player

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Well, I am going up North with the family this weekend, and the kids want to take the GX470 in lieu of the new 545I. The Lexus has a DVD player, and also can accomodate the PS2. I have to get some entertainment in the car. I was at Best Buy this evening, and I saw some in dash players. Can I replace the single CD with this unit and have it work with the Logic Seven? I also saw some on roof units. Same question. Will it work with Logic 7? What is the best solution here?

Any good installers in the Thousand Oaks, CA area? Within no more than 25 miles?
Old 04-30-2005, 12:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='Apr 30 2005, 12:11 AM
Well, I am going up North with the family this weekend, and the kids want to take the GX470 in lieu of the new 545I.? The Lexus has a DVD player, and also can accomodate the PS2.? I have to get some entertainment in the car.? I was at Best Buy this evening, and I saw some in dash players.? Can I replace the single CD with this unit and have it work with the Logic Seven?? I also saw some on roof units.? Same question.? Will it work with Logic 7?? What is the best solution here?

Any good installers in the Thousand Oaks, CA area?? Within no more than 25 miles?
[snapback]122160[/snapback]
Currently there is no aftermarket system that is able to hook into the OEM display. www.nav-tv.com will have an adapter soon, they claim... then you can plug it into something like the Alpine V-hub. If you want to go with your own head unit with a pop-up screen, I've seen pictures, but general opinion is that it's a very involved and risky install. I'd also like to know if somebody in the CA area has gotten this done.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

BMW NA
Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='Apr 30 2005, 03:11 AM
Well, I am going up North with the family this weekend, and the kids want to take the GX470 in lieu of the new 545I.? The Lexus has a DVD player, and also can accomodate the PS2.? I have to get some entertainment in the car.? I was at Best Buy this evening, and I saw some in dash players.? Can I replace the single CD with this unit and have it work with the Logic Seven?? I also saw some on roof units.? Same question.? Will it work with Logic 7?? What is the best solution here?

Any good installers in the Thousand Oaks, CA area?? Within no more than 25 miles?
============================

Hi LuvE60:

CLICK ON: http://www.bmwusa.com/ and if not already registered, then register and go to the "Owner's Circle" or "My BMW" and email BMW NA and ask them your DVD question, and within 48 hrs they will answer you by email. BMW NA has answered all my questions so far, and I found by experimenting first and being disappointed, that the BMW genius's are right!

I hate to admit failure!!! :'( (Jk LOL),, but Chris Bangle and his BMW design team are some hi tech men, who meet and place their knowledge in our e60's iDrive's, and one little thing added new to our e60's, i.e. a new "Latest" & "Greatest" aftermarket (3rd party) product (s), that attempts to be plugged in with our iDrive technology itself, can really mess our Microsoft type e60 operating systems up and we then we have a bad day, and unless your a Bill Gates, type, (Jk LOL), I would not attempt it aftermarket, (and save your money or take out a loan) and stay BMW OEM all the way!

I wish you the best with your new 545i!

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley
Old 04-30-2005, 03:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Aftermarket audio CAN be done.... but there is significant risk with doing so.

The E60 is an extremely advanced and expensive vehicle. I personally am a serious car audio lover.... but will not risk damaging my E60 by attempting any level of modification to my system.

In the past I have worked on my own cars, along with installers at some high-end stereo shops. But I don't trust myself to take apart the inside of my E60.... and I have a degree in Physics. So do you think I'm going to trust some high-school drop-out stereo installer, who could not afford to buy my car even if he saved every penny of his money for 3 years? Hell NO! I don't even trust anyone to wash my car the right way.

Do you think that there are many stereo installers with experience or qualifications for working on an E60? No.... not many.

I weighed my options carefully before buying my E60. What to do with the $16,000+ stereo system which was in my Lexus was a big concern when I was looking for a new car. I really had hoped to get a car where I could do another stereo system.... but when I got down to the testdrive phase, the E60 just could not be passed up. I HAD to get a BMW.... for the drive. So, that decision forced me to reconsider to priorities.

There are just too many things that can go wrong with a stereo install for me to risk hurting my E60.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Apr 30 2005, 07:24 AM
Aftermarket audio CAN be done....? but there is significant risk with doing so.

The E60 is an extremely advanced and expensive vehicle.? I personally am a serious car audio lover....? but will not risk damaging my E60 by attempting any level of modification to my system.

In the past I have worked on my own cars, along with installers at some high-end stereo shops.? But I don't trust myself to take apart the inside of my E60....? and I have a degree in Physics.? So do you think I'm going to trust some high-school drop-out stereo installer, who could not afford to buy my car even if he saved every penny of his money for 3 years?? Hell NO!? I don't even trust anyone to wash my car the right way.??

Do you think that there are many stereo installers with experience or qualifications for working on an E60?? No.... not many.

I weighed my options carefully before buying my E60.? What to do with the $16,000+ stereo system which was in my Lexus was a big concern when I was looking for a new car.? I really had hoped to get a car where I could do another stereo system....? but when I got down to the testdrive phase, the E60 just could not be passed up.? I HAD to get a BMW....? for the drive.? So, that decision forced me to reconsider to priorities.

There are just too many things that can go wrong with a stereo install for me to risk hurting my E60.
[snapback]122188[/snapback]
==================

Hi subterFUSE:

You know, I couldn't have said it better myself!!! (LOL)

R. Eddie Presley
Old 04-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='Apr 30 2005, 03:11 AM

If you're interested in entertaining the kids on trips, you might want to read this thread. It's a bit long but be it includes pics of the installation of the Audiovox unit that I have. (A quick jump to a picture of my installation is here.) With that solution, I can have the kids watch a DVD or play a PS2 using either an FM modulator or wireless headphones. This allows you to still listen to something else while the kids are doing their thing.

What's nice about this solution is that there's no real permanent mounting of anything so you don't have to screw around with any custom iDrive stuff. I can install and remove the entire thing quickly and the player can be used in a hotel room or other place outside the car when needed...
Old 05-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 30 2005, 03:23 PM
[quote name='LuvE60' date='Apr 30 2005, 03:11 AM']Well, I am going up North with the family this weekend, and the kids want to take the GX470 in lieu of the new 545I.? The Lexus has a DVD player, and also can accomodate the PS2.? I have to get some entertainment in the car.? I was at Best Buy this evening, and I saw some in dash players.? Can I replace the single CD with this unit and have it work with the Logic Seven?? I also saw some on roof units.? Same question.? Will it work with Logic 7?? What is the best solution here?

If you're interested in entertaining the kids on trips, you might want to read this thread. It's a bit long but be it includes pics of the installation of the Audiovox unit that I have. (A quick jump to a picture of my installation is here.) With that solution, I can have the kids watch a DVD or play a PS2 using either an FM modulator or wireless headphones. This allows you to still listen to something else while the kids are doing their thing.

What's nice about this solution is that there's no real permanent mounting of anything so you don't have to screw around with any custom iDrive stuff. I can install and remove the entire thing quickly and the player can be used in a hotel room or other place outside the car when needed...
[snapback]122213[/snapback]
[/quote]

what about this?
no dvd but w yr pc you can copy a movie before into divx

http://www.dvx-pod.fr/produits/DVX-POD_701...chnologique.htm
Old 05-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i sport, premium, winter, xenon. xm satellite radio, navwithtv dvd system, 1 jl 10w7 sub powered by xtant 1001x amp. 20x8.5/10 on nitto nt555 rubber. acs roof and decklid spoiler, breyton front spoiler.

I HAVE THE NAVWITHTV SYSTEM IN MY 525
HERES PICS IT IS AVAILABLE AND IT DOES WORK Aftermarket DVD player-e60_dvd.jpgAftermarket DVD player-reno.jpg
Old 05-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Apr 30 2005, 04:24 AM
Aftermarket audio CAN be done....? but there is significant risk with doing so.

The E60 is an extremely advanced and expensive vehicle.? I personally am a serious car audio lover....? but will not risk damaging my E60 by attempting any level of modification to my system.

In the past I have worked on my own cars, along with installers at some high-end stereo shops.? But I don't trust myself to take apart the inside of my E60....? and I have a degree in Physics.? So do you think I'm going to trust some high-school drop-out stereo installer, who could not afford to buy my car even if he saved every penny of his money for 3 years?? Hell NO!? I don't even trust anyone to wash my car the right way.?

Do you think that there are many stereo installers with experience or qualifications for working on an E60?? No.... not many.

I weighed my options carefully before buying my E60.? What to do with the $16,000+ stereo system which was in my Lexus was a big concern when I was looking for a new car.? I really had hoped to get a car where I could do another stereo system....? but when I got down to the testdrive phase, the E60 just could not be passed up.? I HAD to get a BMW....? for the drive.? So, that decision forced me to reconsider to priorities.

[snapback]122188[/snapback]
I think you're being too cautious. If you're not replacing parts of the head unit, and just adding new amps and speakers like I am, this is the sort of thing high-end installers do ten times a week on all types of cars in this price range. What risk do you see here that is unique to the E60? The iDrive may care about things like the CD component being missing, but unless you insist on using your own head unit you don't have to touch this. Unless I'm completely mistaken the iDrive has no knowledge of the replacement of factory speakers and the additional electric load added by new amps (assuming of course you remain under the capabilities of the alternator). Heck, it's got to be robust in this regard, people plug all sorts of crap into their car power outlets.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

My primary concern is that I want to preserve the resale value of my vehicle because my name is on the list for an M5. If I mess with the car, the resale value will be killed.... no question about it.

My second concern is what the increased current load will do to the iDrive. The iDrive is simply a computer system. Computer systems do not generally like voltage fluctuations. In a true, high-end audio system... you'll most likely be using high-current amplifiers. In order to supply those amps with the necessary current, you need to supply power for the components. That power comes from two places, the battery and the alternator. The battery is what runs everything, the alternator charges the battery.

Remembering back to my experience in the past... I have always had power issues in my car stereo installs. In my Acura I resorted to installing a beefed-up alternator, an optima yellowtop battery and several stiffening capacitors. While this helped, I still experienced current draw to the amplifiers which exceeded the alternator rating. The result was that when using multiple automobile devices such as A/C, headlights, wipers, etc.... and playing the stereo, I was having issues with voltage spikes and drops. This leads to headlights dimming, and other issues.

My Lexus had similar problems. In that car, I installed a larger alternator, optima yellowtop and a 15-farad capacitor. I STILL had voltage drops constantly. But on the Lexus, the voltage drops would occasionally make the car computer reboot.

Remembering these issues, and then projecting the same issues on my E60.... I fear the consequences of messing with the car. What if I damage the iDrive? How much will that cost to fix? I hear people say it takes hours or days just to update the iDrive... but what if I f@#k it up bad? BMW will absolutely void the warranty, and I'll be stuck with a huge bill to fix the problem.... and then I'll have a car with lower value because the problem will be known to the dealer.

The other reason I won't do a system in the E60 is because I am too much of a purist to do a stereo system halfway. Installing amps, speakers, and subs without changing out the source unit is absolutely out of the question for me. Either I do everything, or nothing. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link.... and the factory system is junk compared to the gear I want to replace it with. I just find it pointless to spend thousands of dollars to use the factory source unit.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket DVD player