E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aftermarket CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [color=#000099][font=Verdana]Oct 2005 530d limousine, Silver Grey, Steptronic, Black Dakota leather, 17" Star Spoke style 138 wheels with Bridgestone Potenza 050A, extended air conditioning, M sports steering wheel, PDC, Xenon, ProSat Nav, Cruise Control, iDrive 19.02 [/font][/color]

I have been looking on the net to find appropriate aftermarket CD changer with MP3. It seems that best choice would be Alpine CHA-S634 MP3 CD Changer.

It has been mentioned here that BMW OEM Changer is made by Alpine. What I am thinking to try do is to connect Alpine CHA-S634 directly to the Professional radio with Ai-Net cable which is exactly the same as MOST cable connector shown on the picture. Ai-Net is optical transfer bus and probably is compatible with MOST bus.

Question for pro's. Can CD Changer option be enabled in the I-Drive in case that changer is not actually present? I would need to anyway go to my dealer to enable again voice commands (which were in german) prior to CIP update.

Just to share my experience with you guys, on the day of picking up brand new 530d at local BMW dealer I sat in the car while they were doing paperwork and noticed that my I-drive is not working at all. After BMW text screen just went blank and I-drive had no force feedback. They immediately took it to the diagnostics and whole CD/DVD Nav unit had to be replaced. It happened two months later, so in November. Maybe I am lucky that new Nav is post wk 40 production and MP3 would work with new CIP 20.

All the suggestions are welcome. I am commited to try CD Changer since MP3 compatibility is promised for a long time (even said by sales person when I bought the car) and a friend of mine has a Alpine ICE shop.

Aftermarket CD Changer-untitled_1.jpg
Old 12-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Members

Mladen,

Interesting post and I for one would be really interested in the results of this. Even though the physical MOST interface might be compatible I'd be very suprised if BMW didn't build some sort of status checking between the system and the changer across the BUS to make sure the CD changer is working. I hope I'm wrong but if the Alpine doesn't give the right status information back then I'll bet the system won't talk to it.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Well Alpine is part of the MOST Cooperation Associated Partners: Suppliers. However, Harman/Becker is at the same partner level as BMW. Perhaps they would or could tell you if it was compatible or whose product maight be if not Alpine's. There are many technical specification documents out there on the MOST Cooperation web site and whether your ICE man (pun intended) can make use of them is something only he would know. And maybe they are already tracking all of this on their own anyway.

http://www.mostnet.de/index.php