E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

aFe Stage 2 Pro5R Intake Kit recommended

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i - GONE

tempted to get one to modify the heat shield with sheet metal and FatMat.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Senior Members

ok, i just bought one for my 545 from JLeviSW, they matched the online price of another competitor. Gonna rig a better heatshield, stay posted guys, I'll update with any progress.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Members

exactly what i would recommend.... scoop, filter, and that o so bueautifully sounding full RPI exhaust...!!! makes me wanna go sleep inside my car right now
Old 10-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by ck-e60
ok, i just bought one for my 545 from JLeviSW, they matched the online price of another competitor. Gonna rig a better heatshield, stay posted guys, I'll update with any progress.
you can probably get a good deal on some space shuttle tiles now

j/k looking forward to seeing what you'll get out of this. Who knows, maybe we've yet to discover something new about the E60...
Old 10-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Sport: RPi GT Exhaust, RPi Ram-Air, GP Thunder angel eyes and fog lamps, LED license plate lamps, Full LED interior

I've read pretty much every post regarding the AFE intake, and so I went with the RPI scoop and filter (though I can't tell any difference).

But I have to ask... the AFE intake is pretty much of similar design as any other intake for other cars. I used to be a Mustang guy and all the intakes are of similar design. And every time I look at it, I'm tempted to buy it because it looks so cool.

So the question is... why is this design good for every other car, but not the E60?

And yes, maybe a better question is why can't AFE do some dyno runs? I assume they did when they designed the product.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

The heat shield doesn't entirely cover up the filter, thus pulling in heat when the car isn't moving. So, I've taken up the challenge to modify the supplied heat shield so there is less heat being sucked back in. I purchased heat-dissipating wrap for the factory intake pipe, since the AFE doesn't come with a new one on the 545's. The heat shield from AFE feels like sheet metal, I'm thinking of riveting a few more pieces onto it and wrapping the entire shield with more of the intake wrap.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

since this is an intake thread can i throw in a question, i dont mean to thread jack in anyway but how does the injen dci compare to that of the aFE stage 2 dci? does aFes heat shield really make that much of a difference?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by mestes1999
I've read pretty much every post regarding the AFE intake, and so I went with the RPI scoop and filter (though I can't tell any difference).

But I have to ask... the AFE intake is pretty much of similar design as any other intake for other cars. I used to be a Mustang guy and all the intakes are of similar design. And every time I look at it, I'm tempted to buy it because it looks so cool.

So the question is... why is this design good for every other car, but not the E60?

And yes, maybe a better question is why can't AFE do some dyno runs? I assume they did when they designed the product.
Basically what I said on the first page of this post. I am one of the original purchasers of the AFE and have had it installed since. No one has been able to defintively answer that question. My Supra had a similar "Hot Air Intake" and guess what.............IT MADE POWER!! Ask any Supra member. The best part was, my HKS Intake had no heat shield at all. HKS is a well respected name in the industry. I don't think anyone would doubt that. I basically have had intakes on all of my cars. Never heard of them losing power.

I am defintitely interested in the heat shield product. An improved design could only make this better. I am not saying AFE is the best, nor am I saying it makes power as I have never dynoed the car. But for the dyno results that have been referenced in the AFE vs RPi debate, let's just say I do believe the data was skewed and biased at best.

As far as the AFE being a "Hot Air Intake", I do realize the intake is in a hot engine compartment and it's heat shield is mediocre at best. I can see any car ingesting hot air idle or at a stop light. But what you're not taking into account is while your car is in motion, you are drawing cooler air into the intake. Even in dyno situations, I do not think a shop fan is adequate enough to really represent your car in motion on the highway. With an after market intake, your air filter should have more surface area as well. I'm pretty sure the AFE has more surface area than a stock filter. I think this intake with a better heat shield design would prove more efficient.

At the end of the day, I will keep my AFE over a "Scoop" until I see more information on the issue. The funny thing is, the E90 crowd loves the AFE. Funny how it makes power on an E90 but not an E60.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Members

My Ride: [IMG]http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab48/big525i/IMG_20110329_082033-1.jpg[/IMG] 2005 525i mtech front and rear bumper Magnaflow custom quad tip exhaust with some carbon fiber goodies and staggered VMR VB3 wrapped in Nitto Invos

the HID kit is have is the xenoflo 8000k kit cost me like 180 but worth it never flicker or been messed up as far as the intake give me a second to post pics and give you a little DYI
Old 10-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Members

My Ride: [IMG]http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab48/big525i/IMG_20110329_082033-1.jpg[/IMG] 2005 525i mtech front and rear bumper Magnaflow custom quad tip exhaust with some carbon fiber goodies and staggered VMR VB3 wrapped in Nitto Invos

well pretty much buy a 22 degree bend intake tube from your local pepboys and a silicone intake connector your gonna need to cut off about 2 inches on either side of the tube depending on the length of it then you are gonna have to shift the air intake box over and shove the AFE intake tube into the hole in its provided intake shield connect the afe intake tube to the 22 degree bend intake tube with the silicone connector than shove the intake tube into the stock intake tube and tighten everything up like this

Quick Reply: aFe Stage 2 Pro5R Intake Kit recommended