E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AFE Intake - worthless

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

I know there has been plenty of discussion on here about how the AFE Intakes are useless and decreases hp and performance. I just wanted to reiterate this claim... I just put my stock air box back in and my god! The throttle response and acceleration is unbelievable!! I can't believe I didn't catch on this sooner but I think I just didn't want to believe that the after market intake was a scam. If you have either the Stage 1 or Stage 2 AFE intake then switch it out with your OEM air box and you will see the difference too! I hope I was able to convince some people and hopefully prevent future intake buyers from purchasing any AFE products... There's $300 I'll never see again, right? I'm not messing with the intake anymore... RPI scoops!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

I hear you, man. REFUND!
Old 10-14-2008, 06:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

+1 ... I went back too
Old 10-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i xdrive M-Sport Dark Graphite II 2004 545i Black Sapphire Metallic-Retired 2001 525i Titanium Silver Metallic-Retired1994 325ic Convertible Boston Green-Retired 1985 325es Dolphin Grey-Retired

Looks like I have a project when I get home from work today
Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Are you telling me all these threads regarding AFE CAI have been a farse. What the hell is going on here. We're going to need some more discussion on this issue!! Are you telling me all our e60 forum members that purchased CAI's wasted their money? What's the true gain vs. loss, hp vs. mpg story here? These questions need to be answered. Have members been snookered into buying these CAI's? Can I believe any write up on this thread? Throw me bone here!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='692690' date='Oct 14 2008, 09:53 AM
Are you telling me all these threads regarding AFE CAI have been a farse. What the hell is going on here. We're going to need some more discussion on this issue!! Are you telling me all our e60 forum members that purchased CAI's wasted their money? What's the true gain vs. loss, hp vs. mpg story here? These questions need to be answered. Have members been snookered into buying these CAI's? Can I believe any write up on this thread? Throw me bone here!
Yes you can 100% believe the write up on this thread. Read the following thread, look at the Dyno Charts, LEARN!!

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=63222&st=45
Old 10-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Contributors

i too went back to my stock due to going into limp mode when the aFe was installed. have never gone into limp mode before or after installing that POS! in addition, while i had that POS on, i got hooked up to the computer and an error popped up stating i had "boost lost at low rpm's"! guess what error came out AFTER i took that POS off, NONE!!!

take it for what it's worth, but i was fortunate enough to have sold it!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MacFly' post='692719' date='Oct 14 2008, 10:39 AM
i too went back to my stock due to going into limp mode when the aFe was installed. have never gone into limp mode before or after installing that POS! in addition, while i had that POS on, i got hooked up to the computer and an error popped up stating i had "boost lost at low rpm's"! guess what error came out AFTER i took that POS off, NONE!!!

take it for what it's worth, but i was fortunate enough to have sold it!
Man, I was thinking about selling it too but my conscience got the better of me... I couldn't do that to someone else. I just gave it to the mechanic and told him if he knew someone with a Honda or something that just wanted a louder car and didn't car about performance then just give it to them. How much did you get btw?? Did you break even Profit??
Old 10-14-2008, 08:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='692726' date='Oct 14 2008, 08:46 AM
Man, I was thinking about selling it too but my conscience got the better of me... I couldn't do that to someone else. I just gave it to the mechanic and told him if he knew someone with a Honda or something that just wanted a louder car and didn't car about performance then just give it to them. How much did you get btw?? Did you break even Profit??
believe me, modders have different points of view.....one man's garbage is another man's treasure! i was pretty straigh forward with the sale, i did not mislead him in any way - let's get that straight.

i was actually "partially" sponsored by aFe, i was the first 535i with the intake. keep in mind, my situation is much different than yours. i never got to a dyno, thus it was never power loss issue...as far as dyno number are concerned. it was all about limp mode and OBC error's.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by MacFly' post='692745' date='Oct 14 2008, 09:13 AM
believe me, modders have different points of view.....one man's garbage is another man's treasure! i was pretty straigh forward with the sale, i did not mislead him in any way - let's get that straight.

i was actually "partially" sponsored by aFe, i was the first 535i with the intake. keep in mind, my situation is much different than yours. i never got to a dyno, thus it was never power loss issue...as far as dyno number are concerned. it was all about limp mode and OBC error's.
Glad you got your "limp mode" straightened out...

Quick Reply: AFE Intake - worthless