E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AFE Intake Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got an AFE intake a couple weeks ago.....before I researched it on the internet. I was hanging out at the local "mod" shop by my office looking at rims and for kicks ang giggles, I asked them what they would recommend for a decent air intake. They said to go with the AFE, so I bought one. I have seen some of the cars comming out of their shop and read a few of the magazine articles profiling their company and I was impressed, so I figured these guys new there stuff. Then after reading all the mixed reviews on this product (more negative then positive) I was worried I got myself into something I would regret. Well you know what they say....reviews are like a$$ holes....everybody has one. So here is mine. The install took me less then 30 minutes and was a breeze. Everything fit together like it was custom designed and the components were all fine quality. After install I took it for a spin through a local canyon by my house and I have to say.....WOW!!! I was impressed! Not knocked out.....but pleasantly sursprised. I could certainly feel an incease in power and throttle sensitivity. Were not talking NASCAR, but enough to put a smile on my face and make me feel like I didn't waste my money. It also produced a nice throaty sound and feel when you stepped on the gas and wound it out, but wasn't overbearing if I was just cruising. I live in So. Cal and it was a pretty warm day out today, so I'm not sure what all the moaning has been over this cold air intake being a warm air intake. When I got back from my cruise I opend up the hood and could feel the heat inside the engine compartment, but the area around the intake and the filter itself were not hot at all and cool enough to touch. I have yet to see if it increases the gas milage and how it will work in the sweltering summers here in LA, but for now, it get's a thumbs up from me! I'll update you as the time goes on.
Attached Thumbnails AFE Intake Install-dsc_0120.jpg   AFE Intake Install-dsc_0117.jpg   AFE Intake Install-dsc_0118.jpg   AFE Intake Install-dsc_0119.jpg  
Old 03-11-2011, 05:25 PM
GsQ
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

i like it looks good!! thinking about getting one myself
Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Placebo!!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Contributors

looks sick!!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

Yeah idk man I have some friends with the E90 who say its great and increases power.....so I was skeptical. I have people that say the scoops are garbage. I say try both and see what YOU think and like. How is the sound? Can you get some videos or something?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Members

@ Mookish.......Yea right.....did you actually drive my car? Or did you have a bad experience and your calling me a liar?

@ Artardedorange...I posted how it sounded. Are you saying I should get a scoop too? I'll work on the video.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by musicalmike
@ Mookish.......Yea right.....did you actually drive my car? Or did you have a bad experience and your calling me a liar?

@ Artardedorange...I posted how it sounded. Are you saying I should get a scoop too? I'll work on the video.
Mookish has been around, i dont think he or anyone needs to drive your car to know ur going to lose HP. Therrs been plenty of dyno results proving the afe looses HP. If u woulda pm'ed RPIpower the bully woulda sent u one for free. Hes got a whole box of em from customers whove left them behind after switching to the drop in filter+scoops
Not hatin, glad ur enjoying it
Old 03-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Senior Members

Enjoy the sound and the increased but dyno. Hey you won't have to by a filter for your car ever again. If you actually want this to kinda work you may want to look into a RPI Scoop, then you would be able to get actual colder air into the filter area.